Madras Cauliflower

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Madras Cauliflower

Post by LINDA RN »

Looking at some Thanksgiving recipes for some that are LDL adaptable and found this one.
Only thing non-LDL is the brown sugar. It may be that it would taste good without the sugar at all or I am sure that those who substitute could use splenda or stevia. I was thinking if the sweetness was really essential to this, I would probably use 4 cups pure apple cider in place of the chicken broth and brown sugar. I found some apple cider (not from concentrate) that has nothing added (unfiltered, no preservatives, sweetner or additives of any kind).

Madras Cauliflower
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Ingredients
Serves: 12  
        o 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
        o 3 cloves garlic, chopped
        o 1 tablespoon curry powder
        o 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cuin
        o 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
        o 1/2 teaspoon salt
        o 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
        o 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
        o 1 Turkish bay leaf
        o 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
        o 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
        o 2 tablespoons brown sugar
        o 2 teaspoons lemon juice
        o 2 large heads cauliflower (4 pounds) trimmed and broken into 2-inch pieces (12 cups)
        o 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro

Directions
Cook onion, garlic, curry, cumin, tumeric, salt, pepper, red-pepper flakes and bay leaf in olive oil in a 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 5 minutes.
Stir in broth, brown sugar, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook over moderately low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is crisp-tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer cauliflower with a slotted spoon to a serving platter and sprinkle with parsley or cilantro.
about this recipe
Tumeric and a dash of mild curry give this cauliflower dish a sunny jolt of yellow color
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
mylifeforhim

Re: Madras Cauliflower

Post by mylifeforhim »

Thanks Linda!  I will have to try this. 

I have tried a recipe where you lightly steam the cauliflower and then add a little olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro and curry powder to it but found it to be too strong.  Next time I will use less curry powder.

Happy LDL Thanksgiving!  :thumbsup:
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!