Cheesy guacamole dip (Alicia Silverspoon)

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

This looks sooo good, with a little modifying for LDL.  Can't wait to taste it!  YUM

1 16-ounce can of refried beans
3 large avocados
3 tbsp. of fresh lime juice
2 8-ounce containers non-dairy sour cream
1 packet taco seasoning (I use Bearitos, but if you are avoiding all white sugar, make your own mix with chili powder, ground cumin, onion powder, hot paprika or cayenne, and salt)

1/2 cup(s) of diced mild green chiles, drained

1/2 cup(s) of sliced black olives, or more if you like
5 tomatoes, chopped

2 cup(s) of shredded vegan Cheddar cheese

Steps
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Spread a layer of refried beans in the bottom of an 8 inch by 8 inch quart glass baking dish. 

Pit and peel the avocados, and place in a bowl. 

Mash the avocados together with the lime juice, and spread on top of the refried beans.
Stir together the sour cream and taco seasoning, and spread over the avocado.

Sprinkle the chiles over the sour cream, and top with a layer of black olives.

Add the tomatoes, and sprinkle with the cheese.

Heat the dip for 15-30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is a bit melted.

Serve warm or at room temperature.
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Mary J
Master Member

Re: Cheesy guacamole dip (Alicia Silverspoon)

Post by Mary J »

It is a vegan sour cream, I believe.  I have never used them, so I can not say whats in it.  I thought you used a vegan cheese at one time Roger?  Or am I mistaken?  You can of course use a non fat sour cream, and a small layer at that.
I eat avacado's all the time.  Its a GOOD fat, from what I understand.  I have been on LDL for way over a year now and have enjoyed avacado's with any mexican dish I make..  Hubby and I split one.  I am at my goal, and have been for many months now.  It has never hindered my weight loss.  I thought I read where someone on here ate them daily?  A long time member?

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks for the recipe.  I think I'll love it.  I eat Avocados oftenwithout weight gain.  Thanks for the good recipe.  I like fresh veggies and fresh fruits so very much.  :thumbsup:  JF
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

You are very welcome Joyful Friend.  Please post if you try this.  I probably will make it this weekend.

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary J,

Red Lion Lass ate avocados every day and loss weight. Like you said, "It's a good fat," and has been proven to help with weight loss. The monounsaturated fat in an avocado (the same found in olive oil) speeds up your metabolism whereas saturated fats slow it down.

I would check the vegan products you bought. Most of them are soy based and will cause weight gain.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 10th, 2011, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

CQ, I'm confused.  If soy-based products make us gain weight, how can we eat Edamames?  Aren't they soy beans?

Thanks,  *hug*
Ginny
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I will more than likely buy my items in the low fat or fat free variety instead of the vegan.  But, I will look at the ingredients in them while I am at the grocery store.

I do remember once before looking at a cheese that was soy based or vegan to make a recipe I found on the LDL board.  But I never bought it.  That's why I thought it was approved by Roger. 

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Ginny,

TVP (texturized vegetable protein) or soy protein isolate, which contains a large amount of MSG, which you should definitely not consume, will cause weight gain. Its found in soybean oil; soymilk; soy cheese, soy ice cream, soy yogurt; soy “meat” (meatless products made of TVP); soy protein; edamame and soy infant formula.

Soy has also been linked to breast cancer; brain damage; infant abnormalities; thyroid disorders; kidney stones; immune system impairment; severe, potentially fatal food allergies and impaired fertility.

The safest soy products to consume are miso, natto, soy sauce and tempeh.

RT does approve of eating edamame on LDL but I would do my homework and then make the decision whether to use it or not. Most of the information you'll find on the internet says that it's fine and beneficial to our health. But, what they're not telling you is that the soy crops are heavily sprayed with pesticides and are GM (genetically modified).

CQ
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Thanks, CQ & RT, for the Edamame info.  I'm a "picker" and I have tried already dry-roasted soynuts but did not like them.  I have made several of my own roasted soynuts with frozen bags of edamames, EVOO spray, pink salt, and garlic herb mix.  I am using my convection oven and make them not so dried that they are fully crunchy but a little more than half way crunchy.  They are soooooo gooooooood!  *love*  Slightly crunchy but still chewy.  I was looking for something healthy/weight loss good for picking besides popcorn.

*hug*
Ginny
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Ginny - if you haven't tried them, the roasted garbanzo beans are great.  You can put any kind of spice combo on them you like and get them really crunchy too.  Also, it didn't ever occur to me to season the edamame in their shells and heat them in the microwave, until I seen RT post something about that.  I had been eating them in the shells plain, just defrosted and cold or room temp.  But RT posted that he seasons them in the pod and microwaves them and then holds the edamame pod at one end while pulling the edamame beans through the pod with his teeth.  They are really good like that, much better than just plain, and make a good snack too.  Jerrie :)
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Well I tried this recipe over the weekend.  It was OK to me, a little more gooey than I like a dip to be.  Plus I am not much of a sour cream person anymore.  And I only used half of the amount it called for.  Hubby liked it, and he hates sour cream.  I didn't see any vegan sour cream in the store though.  I shop at Publix.  Maybe a HFS would carry it.

Next time I will try CQ's Southwestern Dip, it sounds yummy!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09