Cauliflower Rice

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
JerrieH

Cauliflower Rice

Post by JerrieH »

I remember a while back seeing on these boards somewhere where someone used cauliflower shredded to be kind of a substitute for rice.  I took a head of cauliflower and in my food processor with the small shred attachment, I ran the head of cauliflower through to get it to be kinda the size of rice.  I then took a red onion and chopped it very small in my food processor, about the same size as the cauliflower (close to rice-size).  I put some evoo in the pan and added half of tthe cauliflower and all of the onion at the same time and sauteed it, also adding sea salt during the cooking process.  I just stirred frequently to make sure it wouldn't stick to the stainless steel pain.  At the end I put a few sprays of Bragg's Liquid Aminos (tasted just like soy sauce-soy sauce can be used instead, or even left out) and a tiny bit of truvia, to give it just a hint of sweetness.  It was so good.  It was almost like eating fried rice but much healthier.  I only used half of the cauliflower shreds and that makes a large amount.  The other half of shredded cauliflower I put in a baggie, so I can use it for cooking this again sometime soon.  Jerrie :)
SweetRose
Master Member

Re: Cauliflower Rice

Post by SweetRose »

That sounds good! I want to make it adding green onions, chopped bell pepper and spicy tomato sauce for a faux spanish rice.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

My hubby, who is NOT doing Let's Do Lunch (though generally he eats what I cook and adds bread or pasta or whatever he wants) loves cauliflower rice!  :thumbsup: We cooked it in a bit of chicken broth and used it with a veggie and chicken stirfry. He likes it even better than rice (and he doesn't always like the LDL substitutes), so I don't have to cook rice for him and a substitute for me. Yay!

Terri
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Terri - I, too, made some cauliflower rice again today.  It was so good.  Instead of sauteeing red chopped onion (like I did before), I had a bunch of scallions to use, so I took about 6 or 7 of them and chopped them, white and green parts and sauteed that in evoo, along with the cauliflower, and this time I added some frozen peas and carrots.  I again put in some of the liquid aminos (for that soy sauce taste), then added a tiny bit of sweetner.  It was really good. Makes me feel like I'm eating fried rice.  :thumbsup: I'll bet it would be good like you made it, with chicken.  That would make a complete meal.  Jerrie  :)
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

I love fried rice -- except for the grease, and, of course, I haven't had it since beginning LDL. I'm going to try the cauliflower version with just a touch of EVOO or EVCO. I think I have everything in the fridge.

Now it's going to be hard to decide whether to have my cauliflower roasted or as rice. Decisions, decisions. Wish everyone could realize that such dilemmas are possible with a healthy weight loss lifestyle!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the idea!

Terri