Curried chickpeas (salad) from the LA Times

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
greenheron

Curried chickpeas (salad) from the LA Times

Post by greenheron »

I stumbled upon a recipe from the LA Times archive this evening, and started poking around on their site.  There are some yummy-looking recipes there, but this one caught my eye.  I love curry.  I know there are plenty of curry recipes here on the LDL site, and plenty of curry lovers;  this one is a little different.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la ... 7811.story

Curried chickpeas

Total time: 20 minutes, plus cooling time
Servings: 4
Note: Adapted from Joan's on Third

1/2 cup diced onions
4 teaspoons best-quality olive oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
Salt

1. In a large sauté pan heated over medium-high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until deep golden and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic and lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.

3. Add the chickpeas, cilantro and lemon juice and continue to stir to develop the flavors, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with one-fourth teaspoon salt, or to taste.

4. Cool the salad, then transfer it to a container, cover and refrigerate until chilled before serving, at least 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and lemon juice as desired. This makes just over 3 cups salad.

Each of 4 servings: 238 calories; 9 grams protein; 37 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams fiber; 6 grams fat; 1 grams saturated fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 2 grams sugar; 276 mg. sodium.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Curried chickpeas (salad) from the LA Times

Post by LINDA RN »

Only 1 teaspoon of oil per serving.
Doesn't sound like much to me as long as this is the only salad you eat in a day!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

GH - thanks for the recipe.  I will have to try it with the olive oil modifications.  Jerrie :)
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I finally got around to trying this recipe, and all I can say is...it's not a big enough batch!!!

I couldn't wait 30 minutes' chilling time...I had to eat a serving right away.  It was, however, lovely after refrigerating. 

I didn't have any cayenne, so I added a couple dashes of chili powder.  I did add extra lemon juice.  As you can see, this recipe doesn't contain curry powder (which is a blend) but uses the components OF curry powder, and when mine was done and I wanted a bit more punch of flavor, I sprinkled on a little------curry powder. ;)  I also thought it could use a smidge of something to bring the flavors together, so I sprinkled on one packet of Splenda, and it was perfection.  Really.  Perfection. 

Next time, I'm absolutely doubling the recipe, at least!  Wonder if I can find garbanzos in a #10 can......