Butter Bean Potatoe Cakes

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
sugarbeartf

Butter Bean Potatoe Cakes

Post by sugarbeartf »

I am trying to find the recipe for the Butter Bean Potatoe Cakes that Roger talks about in his book, but I am not finding it anywhere.  Help!!

Thanks,
Tracy
VickiLynn
Master Member

Re: Butter Bean Potatoe Cakes

Post by VickiLynn »

Tracy,

If you have Roger's red book, it is on page 178.  If not, here is the recipe:

3 cans large butter beans, cooked and drained
1 cup frozen corn kernels defrosted and drained well
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely diced green bell pepper
3-4 tablespoons of 99% fat-free chicken broth

Mash or blend the butter beans in a large bowl. Add chicken broth and blend until beans are smooth and creamy. Add all of the other ingredients and stir together. Refrigerate for an hour. Make into patties, approx. 1/3 cup each.  Heat skillet on medium-high with 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook patties on one side until well browned. Turn over and cook on the other side.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

They are delicious.  I need to make them, so thanks for bringing it to the top. :thumbsup:  JF
sugarbeartf

Post by sugarbeartf »

Thank you so much. No I dont have the red book, I have the blue book.  Should I buy the red book to?
stl_viewer
New, but learning

Post by stl_viewer »

Well, I also only have the blue book.  The blue book, plus this web site (to answer my questions and get tips and recipes), helped me lose 30 lb.    :thumbsup:

I think the changes that were made for the red book may be somewhere on this website, if you search for them.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I tried to make these several different way and I could not fry them without breaking apart. I added an egg and still couldn't make them. Last time, I decided to bake them on parchment paper and it worked I came out with firm white patties and today I took them out of the fridge and fried them in a little EVOO. They turned out crispy brown on the outsides and tasted like potato cakes I had in Germany. Love this recipe!! :x
I put minced onion and garlic and an egg. I left out the corn, pepper & chicken broth. I used my homecooked butter beans, probably 2 cans partially drained. I can make these ahead in the future and refrigerate them, then fry them up when ready to use. I think they absorb more oil if you don't bake them. Also I use parchment paper because nothing sticks and clean-up is so easy, just throw away the paper! Wella! :D