Ranch Style Beans

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
SweetRose
Master Member

Ranch Style Beans

Post by SweetRose »

Does anyone buy the ranch style beans by ConAgra Foods? It's in a bright yellow, red and black can. Anyway, these beans are the very best - tasting ones I've tried. Low on the list for sugar (2 grams) and 3 grams of fat- which may be higher than some beans. However, I ate these all the time when I lost weight on the first LDL go- round. This weekend I'm making chili using these beans. I'll add cooked seasoned turkey breast, onions, bell pepper and tomatoes; let simmer until flavors are blended. (Even better the next day!) And I hope I receive my corn thins so I can enjoy them crumbled on top, instead of crackers.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Ranch Style Beans

Post by LINDA RN »

This brand was hubby's favorite and he ate them several days a week. After LDL I had to point out the ingredients.
Particularly offensive is the hydrogenated fats, and natural flavorings (AKA MSG)

INGREDIENTS
Water, Pinto Beans, Tomato Puree, Blend Of Vegetable Oils And Animal Fat (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil And/Or Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil And Rendered Beef Fat), Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Chili Peppers, Sugar, Paprika, Vinegar, Spices, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Soy Lecithin.

He settled for Wolf Brand Chili w/o beans and adds plain canned pinto beans to it.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Linda,

If hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated appears on any label I read, I immediately put it back on the shelf because I know by reading various reports (search the Internet for information) that this process of altering natural fats makes it one of the most toxic things you can consume.
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

I should have mentioned that I discard the thin fat layer at the top of the can. Even so, I will be looking at other brands of beans, too.

Thx Linda, Vickilynn and Little Mary!

SweetRose
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

I bought a Great Value brand of chili beans at Walmart the other day. Here is the ingredient list:

Prepared dry beans, water, contains less than 2% of the following ingredients: salt, chili powder(chili pepper, cumin, salt6, garlic powder, oregano(, tomato paste, cane syrup, modified cornstarch, cornstarch, soybean oil, paprika, spice, torula yeast, onion poder, garlic powder, oleoresin paprika, mustard flour, natural flavors.

:shocked: :wrong: :blink:

I'm not sure this is any better, huh? Even less than 2% of something I can't pronounce doesn't make me feel any better about it. I thought I'd learn to check labels better than this!!
Shari

SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Sharolyn, I looked at the nutrition panel and the ingredients look fine to me. The sugar is at 2 grams and the fat content is very low. I would say that these walmart beans are OK.

SweetRose
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Again, the natural flavorings are MSG but these are a little better than the others.
In reading ingredients, I have found that the generic WalMart brand is healthier than the name brand they are imitaing
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...