Spaghetti Squash Recipes

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
Tori

Spaghetti Squash Recipes

Post by Tori »

Since Rita was asking about spaghetti squash earlier, I thought I would post a couple of recipes for those of you looking to make something new. I hope you enjoy! (:

Italian Style Spaghettie Squash

* 1-2 pounds spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    * 2 tablespoon extra-light virgin olive oil
    * 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    * 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch dice
    * 3-4 medium tomatoes, diced
    * 2 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1/8 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
    * fat free or reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    * 1 small lemon, sliced

Directions to prepare:

1. Place the squash halves, cut sides down, in a glass baking dish. Add 1/8 cup water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 9-12 minutes until tender; cool slightly.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the zucchini and cook for 4-5 minutes until the zucchini begins to brown. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes.

3. Using a fork, scrape the squash strands into a bowl. Toss with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Mound the squash in the center of 4 plates or bowls and placed desired amount of vegetable mixture on top of squash. Drizzle with a little more oil if desired, and garnish with Parmesan cheese. (if using) Top with lemon slices.
Tori

Re: Spaghetti Squash Recipes

Post by Tori »

Spicy Spaghetti Squash w/ Turkey

* 1 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
    * 1 tablespoon olive oil
    * 1/2 cup minced onion
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 2 green onions, minced
    * 1 sm green pepper, sliced thinly
    * 1 sm red pepper, sliced thinly
    * 1 lb. ground white meat turkey
    * 2 cups crushed tomatoes
    * 2 tablespoons red wine
    * 1 sm can sliced olives
    * 1/2 sm can sliced jalepenos
    * 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
    * 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions to prepare:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Place each squash half cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered for about 45 to 60 minutes or until a fork goes easily into the shell. Allow to cool and scoop out the strands of squash with a large spoon and set aside.

3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, green pepper, red pepper, garlic, and green onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the turkey and cook for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

4. Add the olives, jalepeno's, oregano, red pepper flakes and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes. If the squash has cooled too much, reheat it in the microwave, covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Top the squash with the sauce and serve.
Tori

Post by Tori »

Sweet Spaghetti Squash
(this is great for an occasional treat!)

* 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
    * 2 tablespoons Willow Run Soy Margarine, divided
    * 2 tablespoons honey, divided
    * 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided

Directions to prepare:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In each squash half place a tablespoon Willow Run Soy Margarine, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Place in a deep baking dish with a little water in the bottom.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until tender.

4. Remove from oven, and spread the melted ingredients equally over the top of the squash if needed. Scoop out with fork, toss a little, and enjoy! (:
PattyCakes

Post by PattyCakes »

Great recipes Tori! We eat spaghetti squash often. I, too, use it instead of pasta with my spaghetti sauce.

I use it alone, similar to your recipe, but I like to add basil and some butter buds.

Now, my favorite, hashbrowns patties. Add an egg or egg substitute, some finely chopped onion, and drop by tablespoon. I use a teflon grill sprayed with olive oil spray, but it could also be done with a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil as well as under the broiler.

I'd never heard of spaghetti squash until a couple years ago. Didn't know what I'd been missing!
Tori

Post by Tori »

Oh, yum! I'll have to try to make some hash browns out of spaghetti squash too. The thought never even occurred to me. Thanks for the idea, and I hope you enjoy the recipes! (: