Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Spanish Rice"

I had a "hankering" for some Spanish Rice the other day to accompany some Mexican-style lettuce wraps we were having. I tell you what....this dish looks like Spanish Rice, and it tastes like Spanish Rice too. This makes a big batch- 5 or 6 helpings as a side dish, or it's so yummy you could eat it as a vegan main dish too. Try it, you'll like it!

INGREDIENTS:

1 head of cauliflower
1 medium onion, diced
1 green or red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced into 1/2" pieces
1 TBSP. Olive Oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 8-oz. can of petite diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 tsp. Paprika- optional, but very good!
1- 2 cups of Salsa (either homemade or store bought with no added sugar)
Salt & pepper

1. Cut the cauliflower into florets by removing them from the main thick core. You may either place the cauliflower florets in boiling water or in a steamer and cook them only until they're "al dente," i.e. just cooked through but not soft or mushy. Remove from heat immediately. Let cool (you can rinse under cold water to speed the cooling process), and then chop up finely.

2. Heat the olive oil on medium in a large heavy skillet or wok. Add the onion and bell pepper and sautee, stirring frequently, until the onions start turning golden, 3 - 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.

3. Add the can of tomatoes and paprika (if using) and stir well. Then add the chopped cauliflower. Keep stirring. Break up any large pieces of cauliflower or tomato with your spatula or spoon. Cook for 5 minutes.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste and a cup of salsa. Don't cover the skillet so the excess liquid will evaporate. Stir frequently. After a couple of minutes, taste and see if you'd like more salsa or a dash of hot sauce. The dish is done when the extra liquid is gone and it's seasoned to your liking. The entire cooking time from step 2 - 4 is only around 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Little Mary

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: "Spanish Rice"

Mary's picture as seen on Let's Do Lunch Facebook page

the courage to change the one I can,
and the wisdom to know it's me."

"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.

Last edited by LINDA RN on , edited 1 time in total.

I love this idea, and I will try it very soon.
Thank you so much Mary!

Mary I have a question. Can I put the cauliflower in the food processor and chop it up before I cook it?

Blessed and Loved,
LP

You read my mind LP. I was thinking about chopping it raw and then browning it a littme with garlic, onions and peppers then add tomatoes. No cauliflower in the house so will save it for later

"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.

I don't see why not, as long as you don't overcook it! Enjoy!

I'll let you know how it turns out! LOL

Blessed and Loved,
LP

I had some cauliflower that was starting to go bad and some leftover banzo fries, soooo I put the cauliflower in the Ninja and made it into crumbles. It doesn't take as much room in my fridge!! Anyway at Breakfast, instead of making hashbrowns, I made spanish rice. I had some left over pico de gallo that was calling out saying, :ymdevil: "get that bag of tortilla chips and eat me before I go bad!!" I had 4-5 chips with it yesterday. :ymdevil: Well my Lord put the idea of spanish rice in my brain and I combined everything with some cumin and Mrs. Dash southwestern and 2 tbsp. spaghetti sauce and it made the best spanish rice I ever tasted. I had it with a poached egg on top. Yummo =p~ Then at lunch after water aerobics I took the rotissary chicken out and removed the breast. I put the rest in a pot to make broth. I cut the breast into chunks, then I sauted yellow squash, onions, green pepper, frozen corn, rinsed black beans and garlic in some EVCO, spicing it up with sea salt, cumin, and chilli powder. When it was done (crisp tender) I added the chicken and some salsa verde. I had 2 bowls, it was a latin day for me!!
DH had already stopped for burritos so he passed, oh well, more for me!! ;) I had a lean roast in the crockpot, which I sprinkled with 1/2 pkg. of onion soup mix and a little instant coffee and cooked it all day on low. It was done at 6PM and I had carrots and potatoes for DH and friend. They liked it, but now I have a fridge full of leftovers again. I'm cooking over at Gina's tomorrow. We are having the turkey. I'll put all the left overs in her fridge!! I have been teaching my teen grandsons to cook and especially use up the left over food. I told them it is a good skill to have when you are in college. Well, I sampled enough for my dinner meal so I concider that my dinner. Life is good! B-)

Leilani, that is brilliant!!!
Store bought beef broth almost always has MSG.
So does beef bullion.
Never thought about adding instant coffee.
That will end up being my fav go to beef meal!!
It will make the coconut aminos go farther.
Plus you could also add a little liquid smoke!
TY TY TY!