LDL "Sweet Potatoes"

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
margo
Master Member

Re: LDL "Sweet Potatoes"

Post by margo »

Mmmmm..i never heard of this squash...and i adore sweet potatos so i'll try it tomorrow!

God bless..
margo
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

I have been just sitting here at work at my desk and thinking about making mashed sweet potatoes using my butternut squash.  I love sweet potatoes and I was surprised when I realized just how SWEET the butternut squash are.  Perhaps I will do that tonight.  I know we can make sweet potatoes fries (in the oven) with them.  I also think we could do them as Sweetened (like candied) ones using Smart balance and a little OJ, and a little Splenda.

I will post when I have tried it.  My schedule is so hectic in the evenings some nights that it takes me a couple of days to get things tried.  I go home some days and I find out that we are making hospital calls, or doing something else.  But, that is part of being married to a minister.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Jeanne - I did this yesterday!  DELICIOUS!!!  I tried some plain, some with a little spray "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" and cinnamon and it was wonderful both ways!

In fact, I had some of the plain mashed butternut squash when I got into work this morning - Yum!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Carolyn,  love the updated photo with more of Emma in it!  Also, thanks for reminding me of the cinnamon and ICBINB on the sweet butternut squash.  I love that too!

Newbie,  Have you tried the butternut squash as an alternative to sweet potatoes/yams?  If not, you could be missing out on something that is actually sweeter than sweet potatoes in my book...and you can eat ALL of it you want...and still lose weight.  I agree with Little Mary!  Roger says no, and so, as they say on here, IF IN DOUBT...LEAVE IT OUT!!!  You really cannot argue with success...and Roger has been successful in doing and developing this plan...and keeping his weight off for over 15 years.

Love,
Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Well, maybe if someone wants to, they can try eating the sweet potatoes and track their success of pounds lost/gained by eating them and post their results.  You would have to track how often and how much of them you ate...and how they were fixed.  I am NOT willing to do that at this point as I still have more pounds that I want to lose and I do NOT want to jeopardize my weight loss.

Otherwise,  I agree with Roger and Little Mary..."If in doubt...leave it out!".

Jeanne
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Im with you Mary....thank goodness sweet potatoes was never a binge food for me.  Dont like them at all.  If Im gonna eat something sweet it would be...........oh never mind Im not even gonna type the words. lol  I remember as a little kid thinking they were nasty and it continued into adulthood.  In fact noone in my house likes them...kids, husband....they all like pumpkin pie though...go figure.  But everyone has their own tastebuds.  So sadly I will not be a guinea pig for sweet potatoes either. Let me know when you want a guinea pig for cheese cake, I might consider. lol JUST KIDDING!!!
God Bless
Debbie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

DEBBIEWEBE wrote: Let me know when you want a guinea pig for cheese cake, I might consider.

HEY, the line forms to the right...........and i think we should test EVERY variety of cheese cake(in the interest of science)............haha..............niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

niki wrote:
DEBBIEWEBE wrote: Let me know when you want a guinea pig for cheese cake, I might consider.

HEY, the line forms to the right...........and i think we should test EVERY variety of cheese cake(in the interest of science)............haha..............niki

hahahaha!!!  You two!!  But, hey, if YOU'RE going to......  ;D

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Ok, I'm here to get in line.  Don't try to but in.
I love the laughs you all give to me!
mrsj
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Queenie wrote:
niki wrote:

hahahaha!!!  You two!!  But, hey, if YOU'RE going to......   ;D

Carolyn

gosh, if we were dogs, our tails would be wagging......
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Dear Mary,
I WOULD NEVER SAY THE "C" WORD.  But I would say CHEESECAKE!!
Thats the cheese word. lol  I didnt say I would EAT IT....I said I would consider it for the good of the people.  You would have been proud of me....I went to a wedding tonight and didnt eat cake!!!!  Im a good girl Mom....I mean Miss Mary food police. 
God Bless
Debbie
BradyBunchMom

Post by BradyBunchMom »

CHEESECAKE?!  :o And I though I was getting bold :o

Ah, to carefreely skip through life without wondering things like why they put asbestos tiles on ceilings to begin with or what billiard balls will do when you bounce on a trampoline with them (ok, that last one was my 3yo...the one we lovingly refer to as "Lumpy".....bounce, bounce, thunk....bounce, bounce, thunk...) ;D....Anybody, understand why I NEED LDL board time to keep my sanity sometimes?

We did try the sweet baby squash.  I loved them...mixed response from everyone else, but that's ok, they're a bit pricey to serve all eight of us....I'm going to think of them as "gourmet sweet potatoes" and serve them to me and dh when I serve the kids regular ones :)

STILL Lovin LDL (sweet potatoes or no sweet potatoes),
Julie
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

marysimmons wrote:  I'll take the advice of a guy who lost 230 pounds any day.... 

Hear hear.  I second that thought.

Mimi
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Little Mary...everyone...

i think i found one of these squashes.  plan to cook it tonight.  i can't wait...will report back my findings!! mmmmm.....

God bless!
margo
xmasgirl43
New, but learning

Post by xmasgirl43 »

Hello!  I am new, and have been very interested in following this whole thread!  I had not heard of a Sweet Dumpling Squash either, but found this really great list with color photos of all types of squash!  You can see it here: http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/squash.htm  I appreciate everyones input and ideas...I have been on LDL for 5 days and have lost 5 pounds already.  This is the most fun I have ever had following a food plan.  I made the taco soup today and it was devine! 
xmasgirl43
:)
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi all!

i tried that squash and i loved it.  It tastes like sweet potatoes, especially after i sprayed a bit of butter spray and seasoned with salt and black pepper and minced flat leaf italian parsely.  I had it with green peas and a piece of salmon...what a wonderful meal.  I'll definitely be preparing this squash at least a couple times a week. It's nice to have discovered this now...i needed something that tastes a bit different to add to my menu!

THanks and God bless!

margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

xmasgirl43 wrote:Hello!  I am new, and have been very interested in following this whole thread!..................I have been on LDL for 5 days and have lost 5 pounds already.  This is the most fun I have ever had following a food plan. 

welcome...glad to see you're already on track and having fun with all the different foods you can eat....that's great that you've already lost 5 pounds....everyone usually has a good initial loss...now, try to stay off the scale...roger recommends weighing in monthly....but, there are some people here who weigh in less often than even that........keep up the good work..........sincerely,niki
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Glad you found us, xmasgirl43!  Yes, I too love these butternut squash.  I also love the acorns. 

Keep on keeping on...on LDL...and stay on board the train headed for our destination...SKINNYTOWN!  We will EAT until we get there!  Now how different is that?  Eat to LOSE weight.  Most people nearly starve themselves to lose weight...but we get to eat until full of all LDL allowable foods!  WOW!!!

Love,

Jeanne