Butternut Squash "Fries"

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Butternut Squash "Fries"

Post by MsHeirloom »

Jaydensmommy- Isn't it fun trying out new recipes?  Butternut squash fries are one of our favorites; they are like a wonderful dessert.  I love the sweetness.  Congratulations on your decision to enjoy the benefits of LDL.  Pam
lifegoeson24n7

Post by lifegoeson24n7 »

Please let me know how the knives work.  I am in desperate need for knives that will cut a squash.  I don't want to spend a fortune, but I have bought 2 knives in the last year and a half and haven't found either of them good enough for squash.  I don't think I have the $$$ for "professional" knives, but if I wind up going to hospital for stitches 'cause I was cubing a squash that won't be cheap either. :)

-Jill
If you fall off the horse, climb right back on!
imkay

Post by imkay »

:D

i stole this recipe from The Hungry Girl about 3 years ago.  glad to see it's still such a big hit.  i know i love them!

love you too mary! 
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

These sound too good to be true! I'm going to try them real soon~ but I'm wondering if we can eat these as an everyday dish....and till full? :drool:

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
rgfd401

Post by rgfd401 »

Tried the fries today and they were excellent. I made them two different ways. One to recipe and the other batch I put season salt on them. I actually liked the seasoned salt ones better. :drool: :drool: Thanks again Ollie for the squaush.

TIM
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Butternut squash are better than regular fries.  They don't last long around here.  Just like Mary, I tend to eat them when I take them out of the oven.  I have a squash that I'm going to fix for my LDL class.  I will probably have to eat it, and then get another one.  I also bought a sp squash to use with Roger's meat balls.  I'm getting hungry.  I'll be eating out the next 3 days so they may be here for Monday!!!  :thumbsup: Joyful Friend
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm baking the fries in the oven as I type.  This will be the first time my husband eats them.  Someone in my class mentioned how good they were with him standing right there, so I told him I'd make them again for him to taste.  He is skeptical about anything being as good to him as real fries, but I know he'll like these.  At least I think he will -- sometimes he has a different reaction from what I think.  We celebrated our 7th anniversary on Monday, and I think I'm getting better figuring him out with time.  :D 
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Happy belated 7th Anniversary, Crick.  Goodluck, Even after 51 years, I still don't have it all figured out!!!  But, it has been a great ride.  My hubby is in the south playing golf with his friends.  He'll be home tomorrow.  I miss him of the evening so much.  I just came from church.  I shopped all day in Huntington, West Va.  The drive  there was so beautiful--all the red (purple) buds, dogwoods, crab apples laced with bright green of the tree leaves coming out dazzled my eyes.  Tomorrow I have a senior citizen board meeting, and then I am driving to Ashland, Ky, to speak to the creative  writing class  at Jesse Stuart Foundation.  The drive follows the Ohio River.  It should be beautiful as well.  I visited with one grandaughter in Huntington and I will get to visit  with another one in Ashland.  I bought several suit jackets and skirts.  I  was getting tired of wearing my black suit all the time.  Well, I have others but they are a little big.  I'm glad I waited because they were great buys.  *hug* *hug* to you and Mom.  JF 
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Joyful Friend, you must have married the year I was born.  You sure don't look like it, though!  Your trip sounded so beautiful.  I've enjoyed taking my morning walks because I can actually smell the wisteria in the air.  It is such a nice smell.  The birds are singing so beautifully too.  The azaleas are in full bloom here and those are so vibrant looking.

Oh, by the way, the butternut squash fries were a big hit with my husband.  He wanted seconds, but there were none left -- I had to eat too, you know!  :laughing:  Well, today we had curried chicken breast lettuce wraps -- basically just like curried sirloin lettuce wraps, but with chicken breasts.  He wanted to know if I had any butternut squash fries!  I hadn't gotten a chance to get another squash, so that was why I made the wraps!  We don't usually eat anything else with those.  I had pork loin yesterday with the fries and still have some left, but was saving that to serve with more fries.  I thought it was funny that he asked about the fries today!

Oh, for anyone who'd like to make the curried lettuce wraps (chicken or sirloin) I have reduced it to make it even easier than Little Mary's delicious recipe.  I just slice a big onion in thin slices.  I also slice the bell peppers thin (but when I don't have bell peppers, I use just onions, as I did today).  Then I saute this in extra virgin coconut oil, but if you use only evoo, that is fine.  I add the meat that is sliced in rather long slices.  I add some curry powder (yellow or red) -- not sure how much, until it looks like it is enough, probably a couple of teaspoons.  Then I add a few tablespoons of salsa.  I put this mixture in lettuce leaves.  It is delicious and best yet, my husband really likes this.  It is a quick dish to make and so yummy, if you like curry.  I could have added salt, but I didn't this time and it was good.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

That sounds sooo good.  I bet it is beautiful  with the azaleas in bloom.  Ours will bloom in May.  JF
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

i just sent my husband out to buy a squash.  :drool: