Butternut Squash "Fries"

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
imkay

Butternut Squash "Fries"

Post by imkay »

by request for Veronica

Ingredients:
butternut squash
kosher salt

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  Peel and de-seed your butternut squash.  If you're unfamiliar with handling them, you may have a little trouble at first.  They're fairly easy to peel, but you'll need a sharp knife to cut them.  Once your orange friend is peeled and seed-free, slice it in half.  Then cut it up into french fry shapes.  Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with olive oil.  Cover lightly with kosher salt (regular salt works, too, but I prefer kosher).  Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process.  Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. Serve with ketchup, or however else you enjoy fries
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: Butternut Squash "Fries"

Post by robnveronica »

Sounds yummy!!! Thanks Kay. I'll get to these hopefully in next week or so! (I'm sure the kids will love these "Special Treat"!)

Veronica
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi Kay,

These sound wonderful but I do have a question.  Where did you get the muscles to cut this thing raw?  LOL  I have tried several times and I finally just gave up and said...... FINE!  I will bake you to death and eat you mashed!  LOL  I don't know if there is a trick to this but I can't seem to figure it out. 

(In Faith)  Little Princess
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by TEAFORTWO »

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I felt the same way when I made the soup for the first time!!! I think you need the right tool, like a paring knife or potato peeler. I think I actually ended up blanching it slightly just to make it soft enough to peel, then cut. Maybe try that. Good Luck! :)
twatkins36
New, but learning

Post by twatkins36 »

Great receipe!!! a little tough to peel though.  It was worth the effort.
straniero5

Post by straniero5 »

Thank you for this wonderful recipe!  This fills the "french fry/pasta" gap completely and is really delicious.  Even if I don't make it again soon it takes the "edge" off knowing I can have it whenever I want it.  There is really no deprivation eating the LDL way.
Kathy S.
imkay

Post by imkay »

i love these too!! 

and they are hard to work with i know.  i cut them first, scoop out the seeds, peel them with a potato peeler then cut them into fry shape.  but it is so worth the effort!

i love to have these with a turkey burger on corn thins!  yum!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Coach7157
New, but learning

Post by Coach7157 »

I've never liked squash, but my french fry cravings have been getting worse and worse.
I made these this weekend and was VERY pleased and satisfied with them.
These were the perfect compliment to my LDL chicken wings while I watched the race.
Thank you so much for this recipe.
I wonder if these would deep fry like a potato does? And can you deep fry in olive oil?

Coach
"There is no sleep more restful then that which takes place after the alarm has gone off"
sibelclair

Post by sibelclair »

Hi

Those butternut "fries " are awsome!!!
I never thought it would taste soooo good.
It takes a long time to prepare the squash but it was worth it!

thanks for the recipe.
The Great Mimi

Post by The Great Mimi »

Butternut squash is easier to handle if you wash, prick the skin with a fork and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes. It comes out easier to peel and cut.
sibelclair

Post by sibelclair »

thanks for the hint. I will try that for sure.
docsal
New, but learning

Post by docsal »

hey guys, i love all squash and have made zuke fries so i will love trying this. in an answer to an earlier post, you can NOT deep fry in olive oil. You should never heat olive oil until it smokes. If you heat it that much it ruins it and actually makes it rancid. If you heat olive oil to the "smoke" point or beyond which is the temp needed for "frying" something, then you should throw it out and start over because it could make you sick.  *love* :angel: have a great day!!! Sal
Valiadasilva

Post by Valiadasilva »

Here's a link to the safe way to cut winter squashes... knives should be sharpened and a good potato parer makes the work much easier.
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to ... ut_squash/

And, yes, microwave for 2-3 minutes makes a squash easier to peel.
Valia Dasilva
Montana Artist
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am about to start working with a butternut squash for the first time. My question is, can the squash once cut up in fries and/or cubes be frozen for later cooking? I was wanting to prepare some on weekends so that I can cut down on prep time during the week when I work.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

Linda, did you try making the fries after freezing the squash?  If so, how did it turn out?  I'm thinking a squash has more water content than a potato, so it might not work well...just my thoughts as I haven't tried it.  I would be interested in hearing your results if you did try it yourself.  Thanks.
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Image  No I did not try freezing it. I fixed the whole squash as "fries".  Was wondering if it could be be cubed and frozen for soups. The "fries" were great but too sweet. Felt like I was eating sweet potatoes. May want to use it in desert recipes. Got some eversharp knives from a "roadshow" demo in Sam's Sat. Maybe it will make the peeling of butternut easier.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
jaydensmommy

Post by jaydensmommy »

I just made these butternut squash "fries" today and they are just awesome.  I'm not much of a veggie eater but since doing LDL I have found so many recipes that I enjoy.  It's definitely a blessing.  Potatoes were always my weakness and these are so much better.  Everyone in the household loved them including my husband, son, sister, and her husband.  Only my sister and I are on the plan but they are enjoying more and more of what we eat.  We make the main dish the same and then add our "sides" and their "sides" and pretty soon I Think we're only gonna have to make "our" sides as they are such a hit.

Debbie
Debbie B