Squash Medley

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
Bkkr123

Squash Medley

Post by Bkkr123 »

I did not see anything like this already posted, so here is a recipe I throw together for my family:

3 or 4 yellow squash
2 zuccini
1 large onion
4 or 5 cloves garlic
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 tbsp (or so) olive oil
sea salt & ground pepper
oregano
basil
1/2 serving packet Stevia

Wash and cut both squash in thin cross-cut slices. (do not peel)
Slice onion and cut in quarters, chop garlic.
Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until transparent.  Add both squash, tomato, salt pepper, oregano and basil (pinch each) and Stevia.

Mix well, cover and simmer on low for 30 to 45 min. stirring occasionaly .
(Squash will be soft)

Enjoy    (I do not measure so please use spices to your liking.  Also use enough squash to feed your family.)
Nancy in FLImage
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: Squash Medley

Post by robnveronica »

are your "yellow squash" kinda like a yellow zucchini? This sounds really good and really easy!
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

Robynveronica, I used summer goose-neck (yellow) squash and aregular green zuccini.  I it wonderful amd pretty (red, yellow and green).  Don't peal the squash, cook thyem in all their splender.  I am going to make it this week and add Italian eggplants to it also. (they look just like regular eggplant but they are about the size of a pear.  The skin is supposed to be tender and sweet.  ummmm

Nancy
Nancy in FLImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

hi nancy...take a look at the greek vegetarian stew recipe i posted a while back...it's a lot like this.....you can add LOADS of different vegetables to tomato sauce which gives you a LOT of variety....i grew up eating vegetables like this.....it's really good, isn't it?..........niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Yum!! I made this Saturday.....a smaller amount.....and finished it off today.  My husband doesn't eat squash so it was mine....all mine!  :D

I will have to re-visit the greek vegetarian stew recipe now.  I love how you say Niki that this is not diet food but the way your family normally ate this type of food.

I'm making more good stuff like this today.
mrsj
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

mrsjudo wrote:I will have to re-visit the greek vegetarian stew recipe now.  I love how you say Niki that this is not diet food but the way your family normally ate this type of food.

yyyyyyyeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss

and keep me posted on what variations you come up with..
                                        signed,
                                  the bean queen
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

MrsJudo:  I am so glad you liked the squash.  We loved it.  Haven't made it with eggplant yet.  I did make the Lasagna from the cards (in book also, I think) with the zuccini instead of pasta.  It was yummy.
Nancy in FLImage
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Yes, Nancy, I did love it.  Thank you for sharing......and that's good to know about the Lasagna as I have not yet made that.
This is probably only the 2nd time ever that I've cooked any kind of squash.  Now that I know I like it and that it is easy to make, I will be making it more often......something good I'll be doing for me.  :)
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

and keep me posted on what variations you come up with..

If I come up with any variations I'll sure let you know Niki.
I'm still growing into that kind of cook.......someone creative who throws some of this or that in the pot and doesn't measure much of anything......people I call "real" cooks.
Often, for me, if it's not in a recipe.....one with exact measurements & detailed instructions on what to do.......I don't make it.
Because of that I have not always tried your recipes.....you "real" cook, you!.....but yet I always save them because they sound good.  So I'm glad you mentioned your greek vegetarian stew is a lot like this one.
Making Nancy's recipe has helped me see that I could probably make your recipe too.

So another benefit of LDL is how it helps some of us become cooks and others become better cooks!
mrsj
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

mrsjudo wrote:So another benefit of LDL is how it helps some of us become cooks and others become better cooks!

but , i'm going to tell you something, most of those recipes, like the vegetable stew?......you CAN'T ruin them...they're the perfect thing to practice with....what are you going to do?..add too much liquid?......THEN, you'll have soup.........
  NOW, i'll REALLY look forward to your posts ....and if you need help, let me know....you could also e-mail me............niki
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

Niki,

Most of these soups, stews, medleys I can put in the crockpot at the campgrounds.  Will let you know how some turn out.  Also beans in cp. Thanks for all your good stuff.........
Nancy in FLImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

hi nancy...most of them can definitely be put in a crockpot...that's the reason i got one last christmas.....the first thing i made were a couple of pot roasts and made up pot roast soup(posting it on these boards)...as soon as it cools off and the pot roasts are on sale, i'll be making that again...it was my way of making something my family could eat while giving me a great meal...AND, i made fasoulada with lima beans yesterday, but i have to say that cannelini beans are my favorite white bean..the skins are not as thick making cannelini beans creamier..........and it was cannelini beans i used in pot roast soup...niki
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

Niki

Dry cannelini beans?

I made the medley today without zuccini but with Italian eggplant (little ones the size of pears).  It was not as tastey without the zuccini.  I will do the three of them next.
Nancy in FLImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

are you not able to get dried cannelini beans?.......you know, when i was younger, you couldn't find them dried...my mother used to buy them canned...i'm not sure when i first noticed them in the store, but it was definitely in the last year and a half since i first started let's do lunch..........
  and it's eggplant that i like in sauce....not really zucchini..the only time i add zucchini is when i'm adding eggplant and string beans...don't forget you can add green peppers if you like(i don't like green peppers cooked, so i never use them in this)..actually, if you like cooked green peppers, you could make just them with onion and maybe change the type of beans...my other favorites are small red beans and black beans...what's REALLY nice is when you have a husband who enjoys eating your experiments........niki 
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

Speaking of beans (what else is there to talk about) LOL  While we are camping I plan to make roast beef and carrots & onions in the crockpot.  Then I will make OUR "mashed potatoes" and see how my son and husband like it. It has become sooo much fun to cook again. I have been cooking for about 55 uears and it became hohum.  Now I love it.  We went to Sams Club today and I bought the long mesh sack of garlic.  I use it in everything....  I have gootten real fast in pealing and chopping it.  LOL

Will let you all (I'm origionally from Northern VA, but the south has invaded my brain and speach) know about the "potatoes)
Nancy in FLImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

that sounds like a plan.......the first time i used my new crock pot, i made pot roast and made pot roast soup...it came out great....that's going to be one of the next things i make........
  aha...so when you camp, you have electricity...that's GREAT...years ago when i used to go camping, we didn't...we slept in tents and used kerosene lamps..............niki 
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

Niki,    When I make pot roast, in the crockpot of course)(took roast to campgrounds for Thursday), I make "Kitchen Soup" after.  I clean out the fridge of good stuff and add from the pantry.  My family loves it.  I always add stewed tomatoes (one can for a slight flavor) and a couple of bay leaves, parsley, oregano and the "spice of the day" (whatever else I feel like would taste good in there).  I love "close your eyes and dump" cooking.  LOL
Nancy in FLImage
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

Just found this recipe today. I have been looking for more ways to use squash and this one sounds like it would be delicious!!
Can't wait to try it.

Martha