Sal's Maque Cheaux

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
docsal
New, but learning

Sal's Maque Cheaux

Post by docsal »

You may make this and call it something else. It is good no matter who's name is on it. LOL

Ingredients:
3 Zucchini Squash Cleaned and cubed                        1/4 cup Gluten Free Tamari
2 Yellow Squash cleaned and cubed                          3 TBS Worchestershire Sauce
1 large onion chopped                                              Enough EVOO to cover bottom of large skillet (skillet needs to have a lid)
1 large bell pepper chopped                                      (If you dont seem to have enough liquid, you can add a little water. You can also
2 TBS chopped Garlic                                              scale this up or down to fit your needs.)
1 can corn drained and rinsed well
2 large tomatoes cubed or 1 large can of chopped tomatoes
1 can chopped green chilies
Basil, oregano, and cilantro to taste

In a large skillet that has a lid, put in enough EVOO to cover the bottom and then add the peppers and onions and cook for about 3 minutes on medium heat until they start to wilt. Add chilis and garlic and cook about another minute then add squash. Cover with lid and let this cook until the squash is starting to get wilted or soft stirring occasionally. When squash is starting to get soft add all remaining ingredients and cook covered on low to medium low until the squash is very soft and the tomatoes are cooked down. this will look similar to a salsa when it is finished. when the veggies are all finished cooking, turn off heat and let mixture sit for about 5 minutes covered to incorporate flavors. Serve warm.

I eat this by itself with out any meat or anything at all. I like this for dinner. I used to make it and serve it with rice and chicken. I guess you could do that if you wanted to. I just like it by itself. hope you like it too.  :kissed:
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: Sal's Maque Cheaux

Post by Gwennaford »

I had never heard of this dish so I Googled it & found that it is generally a corn/tomato stew type of dish with thousands of variations.  Here's another one from the Epicurious website that I thought sounded good.  Thanks for introducing us to this dish, docsal!  I know I'm going to love it.

Cauliflower Maque Choux (MOCK-shoe)

Ingredients:
1 medium head cauliflower (2 pounds), cut into 1-inch-wide florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
1 cup heavy cream skim milk or low sodium broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter diet margarine or EVOO
2 tablespoons finely chopped country or serrano ham (optional)
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) onion
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) red bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1/2 cup fresh corn (from 1 small ear) or thawed frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Garnish: thinly sliced scallions

Preparation:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.

Toss cauliflower with oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a bowl. Spread in 1 layer in a shallow (1-inch-deep) baking pan and roast, turning over with tongs halfway through roasting, until golden brown and tender, 20 to 25 minutes total. Transfer cauliflower with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then carefully pour any remaining oil from baking pan through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl.

While cauliflower roasts, bring hominy and cream milk/broth just to a simmer in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then remove from heat and let stand, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the margarine/EVOO with the strained oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then cook ham (if using), stirring, 2 minutes. Add onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add vinegar and stock and simmer briskly, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by about half, 12 to 15 minutes.

Stir in hominy mixture and corn and simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Add cauliflower and salt to taste and simmer, stirring once or twice, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... oux-108693
Last edited by Gwennaford on August 9th, 2009, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage