Fried Turnip "potatoes"

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
SweetRose
Master Member

Fried Turnip "potatoes"

Post by SweetRose »

Has anyone here fried turnips? I hope they're ok to eat on LDL because they are soooooooo good! :tongue: Really take the place of fried potatoes. If turnips are allowed is it ok to have them for breakfast with an egg and corn thins? I saute them in olive oil with onions and seasonings- yum! The thing to remember is to buy the smaller turnips. The big ones are apt to be older and tougher to peel.

SweetRose :rose:
Last edited by SweetRose on March 27th, 2010, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweetRose
Mary J
Master Member

Re: Fried Turnip "potatoes"

Post by Mary J »

I will have to try this... I have used jicama and rutabaga this way.  The jicama is good, but has a slightly sweet taste, and the rutabaga is just so so,, doesn't really thrill us... I like to use onions, red and green peppers when making them... YUMM!  As far as I know turnips are fine to eat.. I just used them in one of Little Mary's recipes recently.. 

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

I never thought of using turnip as a substitute for fried potatoes, which I love but haven't had since last July.  Next grocery shopping trip I'm going to buy some. 

I also love rutabaga -- cut into cubes, and cook like I'm making mashed potatoes.  After they are soft, I mash them, add salt and pepper and lots of an LDL approved butter.  Oh, I'm getting hungry!! Time for breakfast --fried egg, 2 corn thins, a clementine and banana (that will hold me until lunch at 2pm).  Enjoy your LDL day!!
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Sweet Rose and welcome!

I just checked the book to make sure and Turnips are on the acceptable list.  SO Congratulations!  It looks like you have found a great addition to your breakfast and a wonderful new side dish for us. Thanks!

Julie :rose:
rgfd401

Post by rgfd401 »

Just tried the fried turnips today. They were wonderful. Taste like fried tators and onions. Of course I love turnips anyway, but even my 11 year old son loved them. fried them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic.
Horkster

Post by Horkster »

Ok, now my curiousity is getting the best of me.  I don't think I've ever had a turnip in my life, but if it tastes like taters & onions, and goes well with eggs, I might be in Breakfast Heaven.  "Taties & Eggs" was one of my favorite family breakfasts growing up, I'd love to be able to have an LDL-approved version of it.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Hork
430/418/215 - Started LDL on 3/05/2010
Horkster, Started LDL 3/05/2010   430/399/215
Manassas, VA, USA, Earth

4/05/2010 - Down 18 pounds!
5/05/2010 - 6 more pounds lost
rgfd401

Post by rgfd401 »

Hork,
Turnips are also great as a soup. I used to eat soupy tators and turnips growing up.Taste more like turnips than tators. It was very basic, tators, turnips, celery, salt, pepper,water and butter. It was a thin soup no thickening agents. So now I'm going to have to modify it - the tators.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Mentioned this thread to DH who loves turnips. He said he prefers his turnips boiled, then mentioned he likes them with boiled cabbage and cornbread. Since he is significantly closer to goal, I will fix this for us for lunch and I will do without the cornbread.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Oh Linda,

Have you tried the banzo biscuits?  I make it in a square pan and bake in the oven, and we call it "our corn bread"....  it goes great with cabbage... it is SOOOO good.... and made with chick pea's...

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

No I have not tried them yet. Since it is an every once in a while food and since I have not reall lost much as it is, I will go there when I am closer to goal. If it is better than the awesome cornbread I make, I sure don't need to go there. I would be tempted to eat the whole pan! I can do without the cornbread that DH loves. Before LDL I would put hot cornbread in milk and sugar it. DH hates sugared cornbread. I said, well, do you put sugar on cornflakes? Tasted like warm cornflakes to me. But I have not had any cornbread since November when I started LDL. Hopefully, I can get to goal soon and will try the banzo bisquits.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Linda RN,

I just wanted to say way to go sticking to plan ...what you know works for you and also encouraging your dh with meals he likes.  Great job!

Gonna have to try the turnips!

Blessings,
Julie
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN,

I thought my father was the only one that ate that stuff. He would have it for breakfast if there was any leftover cornbread. I use to gag  :sick:  watching him pour milk and sprinkle sugar on it. Yuk! He used to laugh and tell me that it was the Cajun version of couscous. Yeah, right. I may have been born at night but not the night before.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 27th, 2010, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well, DH likes his unsugared left-over corn bread in buttermilk. That used to make me gag :sick: The first time I got a taste of buttermilk as a child I thought I was drinking EGG NOG! :'( You definitely have to develop a taste for buttermilk. I finally learned. When I was nursing, I found that drinking milk increased my milk production and I wanted to loose weight too so I started drinking buttermilk,(says it has the same calories as skim milk and I thought the thickness of it would keep me satisfied.) Did I ever swell! Must be a ton of sodium in it. I have not had any dairy to speak of in quite a while (long before LDL).
Linda

Horkster

Post by Horkster »

Ok, I conned the wife into making some fried turnips and eggs this morning for breakfast.  :thumbsup:  I think I'm in love...  *hug*  ...the turnips weren't bad, either.  Lol!  I tried a bite of just the turnips plain from the skillet, and I was a little underwhelmed at first, but once we mixed in some scrambled eggs on top, all in all, it was pretty good.  We'll be trying this again, maybe with some smaller turnips next time.  Maybe some peppers and onions thrown in as well. 

Considering that I've probably never had a turnip in my life up until this point, this is encouraging.

Hork
430/417/215 - Started LDL on 3/05/2010

PS:  The wife has decided to join me on LDL after watching my progress for a month (13+ pounds shed, and some interesting
new recipes) Yay!  She had the turnips & eggs for breakfast, too!  Praise the Lord!
Horkster, Started LDL 3/05/2010   430/399/215
Manassas, VA, USA, Earth

4/05/2010 - Down 18 pounds!
5/05/2010 - 6 more pounds lost
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN,

I know what you mean about the buttermilk. My grandmother use to drink it and try to get me to...no way.. :sick: The only thing I use buttermilk for is to make homemade biscuits for my family.

Horkster,

Turnips are really good cooked with carrots, too.

CQ
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Other than pizza, I miss having corn bread and milk.  I like it in buttermilk as well.  I still fix the cornbread for hubby to eat with fried tators and beans.  I like my smaller size better than I do it, though especially since I get to eat so many good foods in abundance.  :thumbsup: JF