Air Fried Okra

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
Mary J
Master Member

Air Fried Okra

Post by Mary J »

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/calo ... index.html

Instead of bread crumbs use ground popcorn..

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: Air Fried Okra

Post by CodingQueen »

This is a recipe I've been using for awhile....long before LDL. After starting the program I just left the bread crumbs out of the recipe and cooked the okra after mixing it with the egg (I use real eggs) seasoned with salt and pepper. I later gave it to Red Lion Lass (she posted it on another thread somewhere but, obviously, not in the recipe section) and she used corn thin crumbs mixed with a tiny bit of Italian seasoning. :thumbsup:

CQ
southernyankee

Post by southernyankee »

WOW!  :drool:
I just found this thread and the link - thank you, Mary J and CQ!

One of our neighbors planted okra again this year and she always shares her ever-bounteous harvest with us. In past years I have blanched and dehydrated a lot of what we've been given and used it later in soups, stews and bean recipes. Our neighbor freezes okra for her later use but when they are travelling or on vacation, we harvest the pods for her. I then share dehydrated okra back to her! She has been impressed with how easy it is to store and use it that way.

I am sooooooo looking forward to trying this method of cooking fresh "fried" okra....I am sure it will be delicious! All three of us love okra - good, fresh okra, that is. The okra we find for sale in the store just doesn't meet the standard most of the time, so we usually pass it by.

BTW, we'd grow our own okra (it's a very durable plant and the flowers are quite attractive) if it weren't for our three cats....our entire back yard is a garden, but strictly ornamental. The cats earn their keep by keeping varmints under control and we enjoy their companionship, so it's a win-win situation for us, even though we've planted many "cat-free" veggie gardens in years past.

southernyankee
southernyankee
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

We grow and sell okra at the farmers market.  It is coming off slow this year.  People down here but 10, 20 pounds at a time to freeze for winter.
What I like to do with fresh okra and this is a small amount as my DH is not fond of okra
A slice of onion diced.  saute' it in a very little bit of EVOO at one tomatoe diced and cut up okra and about a 1/8 cup of water  stir and put a lid on pan when all the moisture is gone  enjoy
Clown Lady
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Clown Lady,

That's a southern tradition....okra with stewed tomatoes.

My Cajun grandmother use to make it all the time but also added fresh garlic, green peppers, white vinegar, bay leaves and some cayenne pepper (salt to taste).

CQ
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I saute okra with onions in oil.  Then after it has cooked a long time, I add some Great Value mild salsa from Wal Mart.  It is so inexpensive, but all good and tastes great.  This is such an easy side dish to prepare and everyone loves it in our home.  I really like easy -- especially for a side dish.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Crickadoodle,

I'm going to have to try it with the salsa. That definitely sounds good....especially since there are so many different ones to choose from..

CQ