Okra with Salsa

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Okra with Salsa

Post by crickadoodle »

This side is so simple, but very good.

2-3 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
1 large onion, chopped
1 bag of frozen okra
1 cup of salsa (make sure it is LDL friendly -- no sugar and other ingredients like that)

Saute onion in oil until clear.
Add the bag of okra and cook 10-15 minutes. 
Add cup of salsa and simmer 5 minutes.

It is as simple as that, and my family loves this.
Mary J
Master Member

Re: Okra with Salsa

Post by Mary J »

Crick,

This sounds great!  I will be trying this one for sure.... we love okra...

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Being from Montana I have never tasted Okra, not even sure they sell it here.  What does it taste like?
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Crickadoodle,

Thanks for posting this....I love okra and I'm always looking for new ways to serve it.

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

wendysgoodnews wrote:Being from Montana I have never tasted Okra, not even sure they sell it here.  What does it taste like?

Wendy, I really can't explain it...it has a taste all it's own....you either like it or you don't.

Also, for those of you who have never cooked fresh okra (if you chose to use fresh instead of frozen)...make sure you soak it in ice cold water before preparing it. It will help get rid of the slimy, nasty stuff that turns most people off....I like it slimy but I'm a sick puppy... :laughing:

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I love it even boiled and slimy. Heard Jerry Clower tell the story of the worse dog fight he had ever seen when his mamma threw out a pan of okra and the first dog there smelled it and inhaled all of it. The other dogs jumped him cuz he got it all! We were really loosing weight last summer fixing fresh that we grew almost every day. It has bee so rainy, what we planted has not made yet. Hope we get at least a couple plants producing soon.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

My husband loves it slimy too, and I guess I do too.  I can just cook it and put it in some vinegar whole and eat it that way too.  I grew it last summer and it produces quite a lot.  It was easy to grow.
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

It sounds good with the salsa I cook mine with onion and fresh tomato.    This weekend we picked 78 pounds on saturday and 35 pounds on sunday of okra.  We have an abundance
Clown Lady
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

The only veggie that I dislike.  My momma would have loved the recipes.  She raised it.  I can't get past the slime!!!  Maybe, I need to reevaluate its taste.  I thought I didn't like avocado, but I love em.  I'll get a bunch at farmer's market this week--should be inexpensive, and try it again.  I've tried it a lot of ways.  Crick, you are probably right --either one loves it or hates it--no in between.  :laughing: JF