Zucchini-Tomato Gratin

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
Mary J
Master Member

Zucchini-Tomato Gratin

Post by Mary J »

Zucchini-Tomato Gratin

For a light entrée on a summer night, this dish is just the ticket. Salting and draining the zucchini and tomatoes before baking prevents them from releasing excess moisture as they bake, so the gratin stays firm, not soggy.

Ingredient List

1 1/2 lb. tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 medium zucchini (1 lb.), cut into 1/8-inch-thick diagonal slices
1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 Tbs. roughly chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 oz.), divided ** use low fat or fat free cheese**
Directions
1. Drape tomato slices over colander, sprinkle with salt, and let drain 45 minutes.

2. Spread zucchini on baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Let stand 30 minutes to sweat out excess moisture. Rinse well, and pat dry.

3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat 1 tsp. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté zucchini 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to plate. Do this in 2 batches if necessary, adding more oil between batches.

4. Layer half of zucchini slices in 8-inch-square baking pan. Top with half of tomatoes. Sprinkle with half of garlic, 1 Tbs. olives, half of basil, and ı/4 cup Parmesan cheese; season with freshly ground black pepper. Repeat with remaining zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, olives, and basil. Drizzle top with 1 Tbs. oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with foil, and bake 10 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 20 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and gratin is bubbling. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
rgfd401

Re: Zucchini-Tomato Gratin

Post by rgfd401 »

Sounds wonderful :thumbsup: :thumbsup: will have to definitely try this one.

TIM
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Mary J,

Your recipe is just in time here in my neck of the woods.  My neighbor shares her garden veggies with me and her zucchini and tomatoes are just about ready to pick.  Can't wait to try this new dish!
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Great, please let me know how it is... just came across it yesterday.  Haven't tried it myself yet either..

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09