any suggestions?

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
waquin

any suggestions?

Post by waquin »

I had 1/4 of a watermelon (love watermelon!) for breakfast. Was getting hungry at 2pm, so I sauteed chopped onions, green peppers in 1 T ICBINB, then added 1 can drained sweet corn (no salt, no sugar)
heated 1 can of northern beans and mashed some of them, added those to above mixture, heated through and added a little lite salt. Trouble was, not much flavor. Any suggestions as to what I could have added to make it more tasty?
I sure did get filled up though.
This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice in it and be glad.
Psalm 118:24
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: any suggestions?

Post by LINDA RN »

Some chicken breast with some chicken broth? Or add some salsa. Did you plan not to have animal protein for lunch?
Last edited by LINDA RN on August 11th, 2010, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
waquin

Post by waquin »

Thank you Linda. I didn't realize we HAD to have animal protein for lunch. I thought beans were protein.
I haven't gotten my book yet.
I have been getting ideas from the message boards.
Chicken and chicken broth sounds yummy! Will try it.
*love* waquin
This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice in it and be glad.
Psalm 118:24
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

waquin wrote:I didn't realize we HAD to have animal protein for lunch. I thought beans were protein.

you don't....you can choose to have your protein for dinner....it is better having it as early in the day as possible, but this is a way of eating to go the long haul, so making it fit your lifestyle is very important...

beans are an incomplete protein by themselves......if you eat corn at any time during the day, they add the missing amino acid to your diet in order to turn it into a complete protein......ALSO, by eating even a small amount of animal protein, that also completes the protein in the beans.... 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Waquin,

I thought it might help you to see what a normal LDL day is for me...

Breakfast between 9 and 10 am: As much fruit as I can eat and sometimes when I am still hungry I have one egg fried in olive oil and one corn thin.

Lunch between 2 and 3: I usually make a really big meal -- my Unstuffed Cabbage is one of my favorites. But, I always have my heavy protein at this meal and make one of the many Main Dishes in the recipe section.  Along with my main dish, I'll also have a salad and a vegetable and I eat until full every time.

Dinner/Supper between 5 and 6: Fruit smoothie with a big bowl of popcorn or a couple bowls of soup that contain beans and veggies but no meat, chicken, turkey, fish.  Sometimes I have 3-bean salad (one of my favorites).
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Waquin,
You do not HAVE to have animal protein, I was just thinking since it did not hold you, you may need to eat more protein. Sometimes I go a couple days with out animal protein and then I end up FAMISHED. That hunger usually goes away when I get enough. It would be better if I got a little every day, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way for me, though.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
ukgrad77
New, but learning

Post by ukgrad77 »

VickiLynn....What is your unstuffed cabbage recipe?  Sounds really good.  As a young child in WI....the ladies at church made these things with cabbage and ground beef which was stuffed into a thin bread dough.  I think they were called Kraut Kuchen.  Nothing better than those church gatherings with all that good homemade food.  Such good memories.  Your recipe made me think of those.......without the bread.  Would you mind sharing it or is it already in the recipe area?  Thanks.
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

ukgrad77.

Here;s the link for VickiLynn's unstuffed cabbage:

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=8422.0

Kathy
ukgrad77
New, but learning

Post by ukgrad77 »

Thank you bludaffodil--I appreciate it.

Mary
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

ukgrad77, it is delicious.  :thumbsup:  JF
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

You are welcome, Mary.  :thumbsup:

Kathy
str1ne
New, but learning

Post by str1ne »

UKGrad, my wife is from Central Kansas and they make something similar called Beirocks. They are pretty much Cabbage and hamburger cooked together and stuffed into Bread Dough and baked. I think they are German in origin.

Peter
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

waquin wrote:I had 1/4 of a watermelon (love watermelon!) for breakfast. Was getting hungry at 2pm, so I sauteed chopped onions, green peppers in 1 T ICBINB, then added 1 can drained sweet corn (no salt, no sugar)
heated 1 can of northern beans and mashed some of them, added those to above mixture, heated through and added a little lite salt. Trouble was, not much flavor. Any suggestions as to what I could have added to make it more tasty?
I sure did get filled up though.

I don't know how strict you are being about no salt, but I found something called "Janes Krazy Mixed Up seasonings" at the grocery store - my friends had used it in a pot of beans and it was so good I wanted some.  It is atype of salt but also has alot of herbs, spices, onion and garlic - makes a little "salt" alot more flavorful.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEjaUt/]
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

If you can't have salt ( I can't because of blood pressure) you may want to check out the organic no salt seasoning from Costco.  I use it on meats and in soups and I love the taste.
Ingred:
onion, garlic,carrot, black pepper, red bell pepper, tomato granules, orange peel, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, basil, celery, lemon peel, oregano, savory, mustard seed, cumin, marjoram, corlander, cayenne pepper, citric acid and rosemary.
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

Does that have a brand name - we don't have a costco here - we do have a sams - it sounds good
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEjaUt/]
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

It is a costco brand but I would think that Sams may have something equal to it or at least close.  Or you can also shop on line with costco so you might be able to get it that way.