Brussel sprouts, carrots and turnips

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Brussel sprouts, carrots and turnips

Post by Joyful Friend »

Stevia is not good for young males---so research reports.  I like Spenda and stevia, but careful.  This dish sounds great.  Turnips should be plentiful now in Ohio.  My brother will be bringing me some.  I love brussel sprouts.  Thanks for the combination idea.  :thumbsup: JF  The picture is beautiful!!!  JF
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Linda
That does look just beautiful
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

BTW I did not add any sweetener to this and it was delish! No bitterness.
Guess the brussel sprouts were small enough to be tender and sweet.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

So fun to see what you all do with my recipe - I'm sure I would like all the additions but mostly I was just trying to use something different - love how you can prep ahead and cook fresh as needed - these do need to  be eaten immediately. 
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEjaUt/]
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

I just fixed  this recipe again. I just can't get over how delicious it is. And to think, before LDL the only veggies I would eat were green beans and salad. I love all the veggies I have tried so far!!!

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

Just tried this recipe out finally....I actually had found the turnips last week.  We had to go out of town, down to North Carolina over the past weekend...and as expected, did not stay on LDL.  I guess I will probably always have the "road trip, lets eat, eat eat" mentality.   

But, as soon as I got home I made a pot of bean/veg soup, and today I made baked "fried" chicken breasts with the popcorn flour, and did the turnip recipe browned with a bit of coconut oil.  First time for that oil too...I was surprised it was a hard oil, (hope that is normal  :blush: )  That was all so delish I cooked up some cauliflower as well.  I'm trying to stuff myself with LDL today to get back on track.  It's working.  I gained this week of course as I knew I would, but back on board again.  I sure do hope I can post another loss someday, after I lose the gained stuff back of course.  Oh, I ate at a Cracker Barrel for the first time ever, no wonder I gained...lol  What a delicious place to eat...Thank God they aren't here in my area!

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I have always been a road snacker too.  Now I take fruit and popcorn and eat them as I travel.  I have even been known to buy the bagged popcorn along the way.
The coconut oil is a hard oil that melts quickly.  In fact I buy the ex virgin coconut oil in the gallon and have to melt it to get it out and into a smaller jar.

I love our Cracker Barrel and eat there often.  I usually get the grilled terriaki chicken breasts and on the side I get green salad, corn and a bowl of pinto beans.  Their pinto beans are the best but they have ham in them so I eat around that.  I have also had their chef salad with all fresh made meats on them and they are delicious.  The salad is not totally LDL but real close.  In fact the last time I had their salad I went to Subway and they gave me free their sweet onion salad dressing and I took that with me and put on the salad.  It was great!
lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

I can't say that I was as well-behaved.  I had the hashbrowns, (think they had cheese in them) eggs, grits, grilled pork chop, a biscuit...(had to have it with their apple butter...) and one of Eddie's pancakes with blueberry syrup.  I sure wish grits were LDL friendly because I could've eaten 10 bowls of them...I LOVE them. 

Then that night we ate at a fresh seafood restaurant by Virginia Beach.  You would think I could behave there but I had to have the Tilapia fried...well, I Chose to have it fried..lol.  I'm allergic to alot of seafood but Eddie has been wanting to get a fresh and I mean fresh seafood meal for awhile now.  I knew I was safe with the Tilapia...  I did taste a bit of creamy she-crab soup and part of a scallop.  I was being adventurous..lol.    The a walk on the beach with the dog...but it was coooold.  Loved every minute of it though...

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

barrypaxton wrote:I just fixed  this recipe again. I just can't get over how delicious it is. And to think, before LDL the only veggies I would eat were green beans and salad. I love all the veggies I have tried so far!!!

Ollie

I think you are figuring out why this is a staple at our house. I love when a recipe adds a new vegetable or two to my menus and turnips and brussels were seldom used before.  I like to prepare a large bowl of the veggies and keep in fridge and just pour out a few with many meals - they keep quite well cut up...
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

About eating on the road.  We I was a kid and we traveled we would stock up on grocery bags full of goodies for the road as if sitting was really going to work up an appetite.  Then we would get where we were going and wonder why we didn't feel well...LOL.....  Now I allow nothing unwise in the car (fugi apples already sliced would have been great to take - man they are good right now.)  And don't forget that every town has a grocery store - we are not limited to fast food or even restaurants.  Try to be kind to youself by having something decent to eat so that any treat you have socially at a restaurant will be small and well thought out....  We really need to stop being pushed around by restaurants that don't care about us - only the bottom line.  The journey is full of learning, I always try to think "what could I do better next time, it is fun to try to beat the system instead of feeling like a victim.  The food I read about here on this site sounds so much better than anything we could eat out.  I understand social needs, but we can have alot of fun and feel included without too much damage I think.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well put, PMilburn
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

Our Giant Eagle had Stevia in the raw and I was shocked how inexpensive it was. That had also just plain Stevia.  I bought Stevia in the raw but haven't tried it yet. Does anyone know what is better?
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

100% -- really?  I haven't seen it.  Will need to look for it next time.
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

I made the brussel sprouts, carrots and turnips dish yesterday.  My dmil (dear mother-in-law) and I enjoyed it very much.  It makes a pretty side dish!
I used 7 brussel sprouts, 2 turnips and just threw in as many baby carrots as I wanted.  Not knowing how long to steam them I did it for 10 minutes then drained the hot water and added my seasonings. My turnips were very soft with some falling apart, the brussel sprouts were perfect and the carrots were firmer than the other veggies.....all still good.....and I have leftovers. :thumbsup:
Dmil said you would never know these were turnips........and she makes mashed turnips every Chirstmas dinner (that I rarely ate).
Thanks pmilburn for sharing this and thanks Linda for the pictures!
mrsj