Hi all, Time for candy good squash!

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
snowbirdie
Master Member

Hi all, Time for candy good squash!

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi,
   Today Kris brought me a buttercup squash.  I put it in the microwave to soften the skin. I then peeled it and cut it into cubes  and placed in a baking dish. I then added 1/2 cup dark raisins and 1/4 cup dried blueberries. Stir this through squash . Then dot with smart balance margarine,(this is all that is available to me) . Put a piece of aluminum foil to cover the dish and put a few slits through the foil.It is very good and sweet without adding any additional sweetners. I think it was a little dry and I believe would be even better to add 1/2 cup of apple juice if you like a looser squash.
                            Judie
Last edited by snowbirdie on October 6th, 2010, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmilburn

Re: Hi all, Time for candy good squash!

Post by pmilburn »

Sounds good - don't have any dried blueberriesbut maybe dried cranberries will be ok - I usually cook my butternut squash entirely in the micro - not sure how that will work with dried fruit but will probably try it - it might lose a little baked flavor, but I like "micro" baked fine.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEjaUt/]
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

love buttercup squash.. not many people mention it on here...I love it just baked and mashed with butter and salt and pepper..Yummers..
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Hello, Lulu,
Great to see you back on the boards!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Is it butterCUP or butterNUT squash?  I know what butternut squash is.  How is it cooked in the microwave?

*hug*
Ginny
jaydensmommy

Post by jaydensmommy »

when you asked the question, I had to look it up.  Here's the definition of buttercup squash

Buttercup squash is a winter squash belonging to the family Cucurbitaceae. Not to be confused with its cousin the butternut squash, the squat green buttercup takes its name from its shape, which some say resembles an upside-down acorn with an undersized cap.

The average buttercup squash is about 7 inches (17.5 centimeters) in diameter and weighs approximately 3 pounds (1.4 kilograms), though some individual specimens may grow to be over 5 pounds (2.7 kilograms).

The inedible rind of the buttercup squash is dark green striated with silvery gray lines. In some cultivars, a cap of paler green sits atop the squash at the blossom end. The buttercup’s dense flesh is dark yellow-orange, sometimes approaching a deeper reddish color. It is worth noting that the more intense the color, the more vitamin A the squash contains.
Debbie B
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

This sounds like what I call "Acorn" squash.  Or is Acorn squash, again, another type of squash?

*hug*
Ginny
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Acorn is a different but similar squash!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Before LDL I probably would have never cared that much about trying all the different squashes -- but now I love to experiment.  I'd eaten zuchinni and yellow squash, but that was about it. 
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

Butternut squash is amoung my "treasures" I have discovered trying to eat more vegetables.  Love vegetables that keep well and this one does - just sits there on top of my fridge waiting on me - great replacement for sweet potatoes and so easy.  Just poke it about 5 time with a knife to keep it from exploding then cook in micro until it begins to soften - let cool a bit until you can handle it.  I peel mine with a knife and scoop out the seeds.  Then return it to micro if it isn't soft yet until it is soft enough to mash easily.  Then I add a bit of splenda, s and p, and a touch of ICBINB.  Leftovers keep well.  It makes a great replacement for constant carrots -another yellow veggie!!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEjaUt/]