Party Pumpkin

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
snowbirdie
Master Member

Party Pumpkin

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi folks,
      I saw this recipe in a local paper and it sure sounds good. So here it is-

1 small pumpkin about 3 1/2 pounds 8 or 9 inches in diameter
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 cup chopped apples
1 cup raisins
1/3 cup sweetener
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1tsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350.Cut off top of pumpkin and reserve, scrape the seeds out of the bottom.In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients. Stuff the pumpkin with the mixture and replace the lid.Place the pumpkin in a roasting pan add 1-2 inches of hot water to the pan. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.Remove the lid and set aside. Bake the pumpkin for 30 more minutes. Replace the lid and bake for 20 more minutes.Add more water to roasting pan if necessary. To serve scoop out filling and pumpkin onto a dish.  Enjoy
    I have a few pumpkins so I am going to make this today.
                            Judie
Last edited by snowbirdie on October 10th, 2010, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Re: Party Pumpkin

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi,
    Well it's too late now my pumpkin is in the oven but as I was sitting here thinking about it. I suppose one could put in a can of beans to add to the nutrition. Perhaps great northerns or a favourite of mine Pinto beans....
                            Judie
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

This recipe sound really good.  I am sending my husband out for a pumpkin so I can make this for him by next week.  My older son and his new wife will be here for my dh 60th birthday so I am hoping to make some tempting recipes for them.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Oh boy does it ever smell good! I used a pumpkin a bit bigger than what is called for cause that is what I had. Can't wait till it is done!          Judie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Yummmmmmm.
I think I can smell it all the way here in SW Oklahoma!
Please tell us how it tastes.
I have never had fresh baked cranberries.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Linda,
      It is yummy. I think I put a little too much spice but it is still good . The filling was dry when I put it in and now that it is done it is rich and syrupy although there is no sweetener in it. Can't wait for dinner. It is all I will need this evening. I think the boys and I will pretty much take care of it. Hope you like it.
                        Judie
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

What an interesting recipe, and the beauty, but oh the aroma!!!  Thanks for the recipe.  :thumbsup:  JF
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

hope i did this right so you can see picture!
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Krissies pumpkin looks so nice all crispy  and brown. Mine looks the same except it did not brown.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

That looks so pretty and sounds yummy!  I was thinking how it might be interesting to scramble up a few eggs and add it to the mixture and kinda get a custard out of it.  What do you think it would do?
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Gee I don't know. But to make a custard you would have to add some sort of milk. Let us know if you try it. Maybe you could put the filling in individual size pumpkins. Then maybe the eggs would cook evenly with the filling and pumpkin.
                                     Judie
Last edited by snowbirdie on October 12th, 2010, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I talked to a friend of mine who is originally from France about this and she said they did something similar with fruit and eggs -- and like you say, a little milk.  I'm thinking I might have to cook it first and let the mixture cool and then add the milk/egg mixture and cook it all in the pumpkin.  Sounds delicious to me, but I'd have to try it first to make sure it works. 
debbiewetzel

Post by debbiewetzel »

This sounds sooooo yummy.  I just bought 3 little pumpkins yesterday.  Will be making this tomorrow.

Debbie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5UWHNB/]
[/url
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I need to get a pumpkin and some cranberries to try this.  I have everything else.  I'm going to add stevia to mine.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

When making this does the fruit swell way up to fill the pumpkin?  Did anyone serve it right in the pumpkin on the table or does it need to be put in a serving dish? 
I plan on making this today for my son and daughter in law and I want it to turn out perfect of course.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

The water in the bottom of the pan cooked and softened the pumpkin. Although mine did not brown as krisses did. The swelled and got supper soft and juicy. I used a small dipper to put the fruit in indivdual desert dishes. Then I took a metal serving spoon and scraped out the pumpkin. It was really good.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

So you didn't eat it all together with the pumpkin?  I have it in the oven and it smells wonderful.
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

i mixed mine all together,,,,,,wonderful
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I ended up putting all the fruit in a clear glass bowl.  Then I ran the pumpkin thru the food processor and adding it to the fruit.  Everyone loved it!  I am planning on making it again for Thanksgiving dinner since we have it at our house this year.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Yes we ate it all together. I do think running the pumpkin through the processor was a good idea.