Pumpkin Gratin

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Pumpkin Gratin

Post by CodingQueen »

Ingredients:

2-pound pumpkin or butternut squash
2 onions
5 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup low fat Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Halve pumpkin or butternut squash and discard seeds and fibers. Peel it and cut into large cubes (about 8 cups). Peel onions and crush garlic cloves. Put the pumpkin, onions and garlic into a Dutch oven. Season with salt and olive oil. Cover, put in the oven, and cook for 4 hours. Take out of the oven and discard the garlic cloves. Grind up in a food processor, then pour into a shallow dish. Melt butter in a saucepan. Sprinkle the puree with Parmesan cheese, then drizzle with the melted butter. Brown it quickly under the broiler and serve.
Last edited by CodingQueen on November 17th, 2010, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: Pumpkin Gratin

Post by wendysgoodnews »

This recipe sounds really good.  I will have to get another pumpkin while they are on sale and try it.
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

Sounds like the same as the Butternut Squash soup, without the chicken broth & water. 

CQ, does it come out thick after you puree it? 

Sounds like a good Thanksgiving day meal side item!

Kathy
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Kathy,

It's not as thick as store bought pumpkin puree but if you strain it through cheesecloth you can use it for your canned pumpkin recipes (I would leave out the onion and garlic).

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on October 18th, 2010, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Wonder what this would taste like if you spread green beans over top before applying the butter and cheese. A twist on a green bean casserole?
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

That's a fun idea, Linda!  Pam
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I've seen butternut squash with green beans and maple syrup (non LDL) baked in a casserole....so the green beans probably would work but with a more savory taste.

I also think the recipe would work with pumpkin/butternut squash, apples, cinnamon and low fat cheddar cheese.

CQ