Healthy Hummus

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
JerrieH

Healthy Hummus

Post by JerrieH »

Healthy Hummus

1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained (reserve 1 T. juice from can)
1 T. juice from can of chickpeas
2 T. lemon juice
1-2 t. crushed garlic
1 T. dry parsley
1/4 t. salt
pinch cayenne pepper
black pepper, to taste (I like mine really peppery)
1 t. olive oil

I really like how this hummus is low in fat, with only 1 t. olive oil.  Most other hummus recipes have either tahini or more olive oil.  Also, you can substitute any other seasoning for the parsley and really change up the flavor.  Jerrie :)
JerrieH

Re: Healthy Hummus

Post by JerrieH »

RT - I don't have a Ninja.  Thinking about getting one, since I hear so many on the boards raving about theirs.  I have a Vitamix, which I love, but I feel it is too big to use for such a small amount, so I use my Bravetti quad-blade mini food processor, which works great for small amounts.  However, I'm sure the Ninja would work great too.  I did put some recently in a lettuce wrap, but most of the time I just take my bowl of hummus out of the fridge and eat it by the spoonful.  I like it really garlicky, lemony and peppery...delicious.  I'll have to try it with veggies though, as I'm sure that would be really good too.  Jerrie
rodie

Post by rodie »

I just read an article on hummus,and it said how healthy it is and soooo good for you.I bought some at the store already made up and did not like it at all,figures,cuz it's good for ya that I wouldn't care for the taste.
Hugzzz
Rodie :)
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

We adore hummus!  I eat it several times a week on corn thins for my lunch.  I love Little Mary's recipe, but will try this one too!  Which is very similar, but she uses fresh parsley and a little more evoo.  It's great with sliced tomatoes on top!  My mouth is watering now!  LOL

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Rodie - I have bought store bought hummus before that I didn't like.  It might be because I don't really care for tahini (sesame paste) and that is usually in the store bought hummus.  But I love the kind I make that doesn't have tahini in it (also less fat grams, as I think tahini has quite a bit of fat in it - kinda like peanut butter).  I also like to blend it so that it is still a little chunky, rather than the really smooth stuff the stores sell.  Jerrie
rodie

Post by rodie »

Thanks Jerrie, next time I go to the store I will get the stuff to make my own, I wasn't even sure what that tahini was until I just watched a clip on you tube. Do you use your with veggies or maybe wasa crackers?
TIA
Hugzzz
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Rodie - you can use it with veggies or the wasa crackers.  I usually have a bowl of it in my fridge and just take it out of the fridge and eat it by the spoonful.  Soooo good.  The other day I put some in a lettuce wrap too.  I made some more today and I think I like it a little more lemony than the 2 T. of lemon juice, so I put a little bit more lemon juice in it and a little less garbanzo juice in it.  Or you could even omit the garbanzo juice if you wanted to.  I usually just adjust the sea salt to taste and I love it with fresh cracked pepper in it.  I love garbanzo beans.  It seems like I usually have either hummus in the fridge or roasted garbanzo nuts in a bag, ready for snacking when I'm on LDL.  They are so good and filling.  Jerrie :)
rodie

Post by rodie »

Has anyone tried to freeze the corn thins? It's just me that uses them and I have only gotten one other time and buy the time I was though with them they were getting alittle stale I thought.
Hugzzz
mroszczak1

Post by mroszczak1 »

Made the hummus tonight and it was wonderful! So much better than store bought! :thumbsup:
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

My corn thins are probably not so reasonable priced, but I am able to find them at Dierbergs in my area.  Jerrie
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I don't know how many of you read my post but the stale corn thins make wonderful binders...like meatloaf, etc.

As far as hummus, give me the spicy ones...I love  *love* jalapenos...

CQ
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Cindy - I'm so glad you liked the hummus.  Jerrie :)
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Me too CQ, I often add them to my hummus.  Plus I like sundried tomatoes added too.  Or roasted red peppers.  The list is endless what can be added to hummus!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
yoyodieter
New, but learning

Post by yoyodieter »

Great hummus recipe.
I made one with chickpeas, 1teaspoon EVO, Fresh basil leaves, fresh cloves garlic and added some balsamic vinegar. That was really good to dip veges in and spread on corn thins.
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Yoyodieter - I'm glad you like the recipe.  I really like it too.  I usually have some in my fridge at all times since it is so good and filling.  I don't actually have any in my fridge now, but I bought more garbanzo beans today for just that reason.  I've never tried it with basil.  I'll have to try it like that when I make some tomorrow.  I've also been meaning to try the Jalapeno Hummus recipe posting on these boards.  Jerrie
mroszczak1

Post by mroszczak1 »

Jerrie, just have to say your humus has become a weekly dish in my house. All of us love it and I never liked the store bought one. I change up the spices so each time it tastes new and improved! Last night I used dill instead of parsley it was awesome!
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

Well yall make this hummus thing sound good. I've only had hummus one time and didn't like it. Store bought. I think it was because it had Tahiti in it, but these recipes sound good. I'm with you CQ bring on the heat. Roasted red peppers really do sound good Mary J. That's it...... I'm off to make some hummus.
                    Love to everyone,
                            Charlotte