Jalapeno Hummus

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Jalapeno Hummus

Post by LINDA RN »

Julie's Jalapeno Hummus

1 Bag of Chickpeas Soaked and Cooked Well
5 Fork Fulls of Sliced Jalapenos(including seeds) from Big Jar at Costcos
Couple of short pours of jalapeno brine (the liquid the peppers come in).
Couple of short pours of EVOO
Salt to taste
Optional:  Couple of Tablespoons of Cilantro/Parsley
Optional:  A bit of lime juice
Optional:  A bit of Worcestershire sauce
Blend all ingredients well
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
JerrieH

Re: Jalapeno Hummus

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Linda and VickyLynn for posting the jalapeno hummus recipe, as I too had thought about making that when I heard it being referred to, but hadn't gotten around to looking for it.  Jerrie :thumbsup:
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

This sounds like something I want to make. Anything with jalapenos and cilantro in it gets my attention!

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Linda - on the Jalapeno Hummus you recently posted, you indicated one bag of soaked garbanzo beans.  If you don't have dried and want to use canned, would you know how many cans it would take to take the place of a bag of dried garbanzos?
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Found this from 2009 before I joined.
Should help you out!
Linda

tips for cooking beans
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:03 PM 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw somewhere on the boards someone was having trouble cooking beans and I found this at the Michigan bean website.  I was trying to find out how beans convert dried vs. cooked.  Like if I start with 1 cup of dried beans will it equal 2 cups cooked.  I guess it varies with each type, anyway I hope the following will help someone.

Bean cooking tips
Hard facts. When soaking and cooking dry beans, resist the urge to add anything other than fresh, cold water. Salt and acidic ingredients like tomatoes, citrus juice, vinegar, wine, or mustard inhibit the absorption of liquid and stop the softening process. Once hardening agents are added, the bean will not soften any further. Also, make sure to increase soaking and cooking times when using hard water.

Know when to say when. How do you know when beans have soaked enough? Soaking re-hydrates the beans and prepares them for further cooking. Slice a soaked bean in half. If the center is opaque, your beans need to be soaked longer.

A Taste Test. To check doneness during cooking, some bean aficionados recommend blowing on one or two beans spooned from the cooking pot. If they are done, the skins will burst. Want a foolproof way to test? The American Dry Bean Board recommends tasting. After ¾ of the cooking time has elapsed, try a taste test. Beans should be tender, but not mushy. Beans vary in cooking time according to the age of the bean, size or type of the cooking pot, simmering temperatures, and even the type of water (e.g. hard or softened.)

Soak separately. In the time it takes one bean variety to become tender, another can become mushy. Generally, it is important to soak and cook black beans and white beans separately. Always rinse black beans to remove liquid which otherwise blackens foods the beans are added to or combined with.

Shaken, not stirred. To retain the shape of soft beans to be used in salads and sauteed dishes, carefully shake the pot rather than stirring it near the end of the cooking process.

Cut down sugar and sodium. Soaking and rinsing dry beans rids the beans of complex sugars that sometimes cause stomach gas. You can also reduce the complex sugars by draining and rinsing canned beans. The sodium content of canned beans is also reduced by 1/3 if you drain and rinse the beans before use.

The bean jar. Because jars of dry beans look attractive in the kitchen, many cooks like to display them. Just make sure beans are stored in airtight containers in a cool, dry location. Also, keeping beans out of the direct sunlight will prevent discoloration and a change in flavor.
Last edited by LINDA RN on March 30th, 2011, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks for the post Linda and it is informative on cooking beans, but I guess they were saying that you can't really estimate how many cups canned beans vs. dry beans in a recipe due to the various types of beans.  So I did a google search and found this at the Cooking Light website and found these two entries.  I guess in light of what they both said (one said 7-1/2 c. cooked vs. 1 lb. dry, and the other said 6 c. cooked vs. 1 lb. dry),I think I would guesstimate that for one bag of dry, I can use 6 cups canned, or three cans.  Here were the two entries in Cooking Light:

Dried vs. Canned Beans
Canned beans are fast and easy to use. Or you can prepare dried beans from scratch. Here are some equivalents and cooking instructions:

1 lb dry beans = 2 1/2 cups dry beans = about 7 1/2 cups cooked beans
1 cup dry beans = about 3 cups cooked beans
14 oz/398 ml can beans = about 1 1/2 cups drained beans
19 oz/540 ml can beans = about 2 cups drained beans
First, rinse and sort dried beans, discarding any blemished ones or any grit. Then soak:

LONG SOAK: Cover dried beans with three times their volume of water and lets stand in refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight. Drain.
QUICK SOAK: In saucepan, cover dried beans with three times their volume of water and bring to boil. Boil for two minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for one hour. Drain.
In a large saucepan, cover drained, soaked beans with three times their volume of fresh water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, and topping up with water if necessary, for about 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours, depending on age and type of bean. Drain.

Some maintain that discarding soaking liquid helps to reduce flatulence.

Another person wrote:

One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained
One pound dry beans = six cups cooked beans, drained.
One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans.
One cup dry beans = three cups cooked beans, drained.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Good post Jerrie
I will repost both
Linda