Recipes for Ranch or Ceasar Salad Dressing?

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
JerrieH

Recipes for Ranch or Ceasar Salad Dressing?

Post by JerrieH »

Does anyone have a Ranch Salad Dressing or a Ceasar Salad Dressing recipe that is LDL approved.  I like Ranch Salad Dressing (without MSG) and Ceasar Salad Dressing, but I don't know if they can be made to be LDL friendly.  
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: Recipes for Ranch or Ceasar Salad Dressing?

Post by CodingQueen »

Jerrie,

If you go to www.food.com you'll be able to find a lot of salad dressing recipes. Just type what you're looking for in the search box. Ranch uses mayo and sour cream and the Caesar contains Parmesan cheese but you could tweak them to fit LDL by using low fat or fat free. I love the Greek House salad dressing.

CQ
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks CQ.  I do have numerous recipes for both kinds of salad dressing, but I didn't think they were LDL friendly even with the low fat mayo or low fat sour cream.  Is it okay to use those ingredients on LDL? 
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

They are OK in small amounts every now and then. They're not something you want to use everyday. That's why I prefer a dressing made with olive oil. It's a healthy fat.

CQ
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

I've bought full-fat creamy dressing with no sugar and without MSG, then mixed it half and half with homemade salsa or pico de gallo.( Low fat bottled dressings have sugar added). You can also, believe it or not, mix the above dressing half and half with cold water instead of the salsa or pico. It thins it out but leaves the flavor. I do this quite often.

As with all dressings, don't overdo. EVOO and apple cider vinegar dressing is better, health-wise.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks CQ.  I just don't like salad dressings that are real vinegary, i.e. vinegar and oil or balsamic dressings, as they are so sour/tart.  I did buy some Paul Newman Ranch Dressing today.  I like that brand, as they don't add MSG and most other store bought ranch dressings do add MSG.  I guess I can just use that for now and just dip my fork in the dressing with each bite until I find another salad dressing recipe I like better. 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I bought some Kefir Ranch dressing in the produce (refrigerated section) of Wal-Mart. Really good.
I don't use alot of dressing so every once in a great while it is refreshing.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

SweetRose,

That sounds like the dressing that I use with my Santa Fe Chicken Salad but I use hot salsa.

I also like to add wasabi to ranch dressing that's been watered down a little with skim milk. That's really good with a grilled tuna salad.

Jerrie,

I understand about the vinegar. I've only tried one of Paul Newman's dressings but I didn't care for the taste. My family prefers Marie's which is very good.

CQ
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks SweetRose. I have thinned salad dressing recipes I have made with water to make them less calories, but I have never thought about thinning with salsa.  That sounds like a good idea.  I'm going to try that.  Jerrie
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Linda.  I'll look for that salad dressing next time I'm at Walmart.  Jerrie
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks CQ - it sounds like a number of people water down their salad dressing with water or skim milk.  I think SweetRose's idea about watering down dressing with salsa sounds good too.  I'm going to have to try that.  The Paul Newman Ranch Dressin I just bought has quite a bit of fat in it, I think I'll try watering it down with salsa.  Bet that will be good.  Jerrie