Orange Sauce for Meat or Fish

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
Ginny M.
Master Member

Orange Sauce for Meat or Fish

Post by Ginny M. »

I just found a new FAVORITE SAUCE!  It came as part of a recipe for Sweet Orange Shrimp from Publix.  I think the Orange Sauce with be just as good with any Meat or Fish.    (The original recipe added flour to the meat when cooking it.  I did not add the flour so I just cooked it a little longer until the sauce cooked and thickened itself)  I may cook some speghetti squash next time and put it over the squash.  The recipe called for juice of 2 oranges and it made LOTS of sauce and would have been good over the squash . . . then I read that it uses only 1/2 cup of juice, OPPS!  :sideways:  But even my DH loved  *love* it!

SWEET ORANGE SAUCE
SHRIMP/CHICKEN/TURKEY/PORK

Choose 1 # of the following:
>  Large thawed/peeled/deveined/detailed shrimp uncooked1 #
>  Chicken breasts cut in pieces
>  Turkey breasts cut in pieces
>  Pork – lean chops, etc., cut in pieces

INGREDIENTS:
Wisk in 5 ingredients in medium bowl & set aside:
        > ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice (1-2 oranges) 
        > ¼ cup light mayo >  2 T. horseradish
        > 1 T. honey (3 small pkts.)             >  1 tea. Seasoned salt

1 T. oil

Pre-heat large saute’ pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes.  Place oil in pan, then add meat.  Cook and stir until meat is cooked.  Stir in orange juice mixture.  Reduce heat to medium.  Simmer and stir until sauce thickens a bit.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Orange Sauce for Meat or Fish

Post by LINDA RN »

Yummmmm this sounds really great.
Think I will try it with Greek Yogurt instead of Mayo though.
I am also considering how it would taste with fresh lemons or limes, say for Salmon or Talapia?
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Thanks, RT.  Thanks, too, for the reminder to "dip".  I didn't as the shrimp cooked with the sauce.  But I guess you could remove the meat after it was browned/cooked and then make the sauce.  Or after it is all done, remove just the meat (of course a little sauce would remain) and just dip if more sauce is needed.  I guess if I followed the recipe better (1/2 c. juice versus 2 oranges of 1c. or better)  *woot* I might not have had so much sauce.  ;D  It's also not something to have every day or even every week, but occasionally.  I'm trying stuff to get my DH to eat healthier.  He has 1 month to get weight off before seeing the doctor.  I noticed Slim Fast  :sick: in his grocery cart today.  But he likes it and I guess it works for him.  But as you know, it's not something to "live forever" with.

Linda, the lemons & limes sound WONDERFUL!  But they may need some sweetner besides the 1 T. honey.  PUCKER POWER!  *woot*  Remember, the oranges are sweet enough by themselves.  But I do plan to try with lemons.

*hug*
Ginny
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

It's just that I have been making lemon water with fresh squeezed lemons and Key Limes.
I would have to add the lemon flavored stevia to it, but thought I might try it sometime with ingredients on hand.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

This is a recipe that I love but I use it for chicken breast rather than the thighs.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... Sauce-5665

This is one for salmon that I use quite often that includes yogurt.

http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/roas ... ce-142397/

And this one is one of my favorites...of course, I use stevia to substitute for the sugar.

http://www.chefdecuisine.com/course/sau ... _SAUCE.php

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on April 19th, 2011, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Thanks, CQ, they sound good.  I've printed them and will have to try them. :D

*hug*
Ginny