Cilantro- Bean Spread & Dip

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
Rhea

Re: Cilantro- Soy Spread & Dip

Post by Rhea »

Wow, Mary, this sounds amazing. I cooked a batch of  beans today, have cilantro in my fridge, so guess what I'm making tomorrow! I know I'm going to love this.

Rhea
Last edited by Guest on March 3rd, 2007, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhea

Re: Cilantro- Soy Spread & Dip

Post by Rhea »

I just can't get over how scrumptious this spread/dip is! Little Mary is right -- it's far nicer than hummus (and I say that as a hummus-lover). Actually, you could give it a bit of a hummus flavour by adding some ground cumin to the mixture -- about a teaspoonful -- if you wanted. I might try that next time, though in my opinion it's just perfect as it is and will be a real asset to me.

Thank you, Little Mary!

Rhea
Gene

Re: Cilantro- Bean Spread & Dip

Post by Gene »

Dear Little Mary,

I made both of bean dips (without the garlic, of course) I used two jalp. instead(with the seeds) and boy did they ever taste good. Thanks again Mary. Your are the best.

ICL

Gene
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Man, this sounds good. 

I have some cannelini beans cooking right now....i took a bunch of collard greens and after washing the leaves i piled the leaves on top of each other and then rolled them up sideways.  Then i sliced them ever so thinly and dumped those slivers of collards into the cooking beans.  I sauteed some tomato, cilantro, flat leaf italian parsley and onion in some olive oil and seasonings, including cumin. (this is called sofrito)  Then dumped that into the cooking beans and collards....I've done this before....it's not unusual to have beans with greens in them....Very Colombian from a place called "Antioquia."  You've got to try it.  I understand that Italians also love greens in their beans!

I'm going to dry the bean dip as soon as i can find some decent chips.  I found some blue corn chips with no sugar and which are baked, but they taste like cardboard.  Well, at least i know they don't set me off on a feeding frenzy.  I sure wish i could get those corn chips Little Mary is talking about....I can't seem to find them to order on line.  What a bummer....

It's getting to be time for lunnnnnnnnchhhhh....Hurray!  I'm pretty hungry today....you know, i say that to myself every day and i find that when i actually sit down to eat, i can't eat everything on my plate and i'm serving myself less and less each week.  Like yesterday, i served myself a little piece of left over salmon (maybe 5 ounces if that much), less than half of a smallish but beautifuly trimmed and delicious NY strip steak -- i guess it was about 5 ounces, a green salad, some corn with olive oil and a bowl of cuban black beans!  I couldn't eat the fish.  It's amazing...before LDL i would have wolfed all that down and been sniffing around for something else to shove in my pie hole!  And the first thing i wanted was a couple of big spoonfulls of the black bean soup, then i ate my meat...and guess what?>??? I actually cut it into human size pieces and enjoyed chewing each mouthful and enjoyed the flavor.  Wow...things are changing for me...my attitude about eating is evolving....

THank the Lord!

oops...i think i got off topic here...sorry....

God bless...
margo
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Hi Mary,
        Just wanted to let you know that if you keep checking with amazon they occasionally have the corn thins at $20 for a case of 12. And if you spend an additional $5 you get free shipping. But you have to keep checking as they sell out fast.
                          May G-d bless you
                                          Kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

My DD2 and I are on a hummus kick and have been enjoying a trip through the boards searching for recipes & variations.  I'm having trouble locating the Cilantro-Soy Bean Spread & Dip that people were raving about a couple years ago.  Could please someone bring this recipe up for me?  The search engine is so specific it's a challenge to find a recipe unless you enter the exact spelling AND search the board where it appears. 

I find many instances of discussion about it, but not the actual recipe.  MAYBE it's listed in a different heading.  I've been finding some of the best recipes buried inside other topics & not posted on the recipe board.  I find "Cilantro- Bean Spread & Dip" which contains no reference to soy in the recipe.  Interestingly, on that thread, half the message headings in the replies contain the word "Soy".  How did those replies get into the thread?  Never mind.  I probably wouldn't understand the answer.  I'm going to stop aggravating myself now and go fix some of the yummy hummus variations I HAVE found.

Many thanks to Little Mary and everyone else who contributed to those recipes.  Hummus! is my favorite, so far.  I have to heat the garlic in the oil for a few minutes to mellow the sharp garlic taste.  I like the taste of raw garlic and I like a LOT of garlic in almost everything savory, but I find that the sulfur compounds in the raw garlic bother me for a long time (days) after I have eaten them.

I usually cook without recipes, and I have a tendency to throw in whatever I think will taste good, based on what I have on hand.  I'm a decent cook, so things turn out okay, (I haven't poisoned anyone -- lately) but the problem is that eventually everything ends up tasting the same.  That's another reason I love these recipes.  They offer ideas for different ways to combine common ingredients.  So, thanks again, everyone!
Last edited by Gwennaford on October 27th, 2008, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

mary...i thought that was strange that that other recipe disappeared....now ANOTHER one?.........maybe tori could check the history to figure out what happened to it..............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Mary, I'm sure I will love it.  I really like cilantro.  We wus a-eatin' it out West in are Tex-Mex afore it wus pop-lar on FoodTV, weren't we, EnJae!?

I wish there was some way I could know when to catch you, Roger & Anita on Homekeepers.  It's on here at 5:30 am, so I don't see it regularly.

While browsing for hummus recipes, I ran across a bunch of people who were asking for DVD's of a series of appearances Mary made on Homekeepers.  Carolyn, do you still have any of those disks?  I would love to buy one.
ImageImage
Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

"Homekeepers"...??  What's that?
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

It's a Christian talk show hosted by a local TV celebrity, Arthelene Rippy.  (She's an extremely glamorous contemporary of Barb Green's, from Everybody's Tabernacle.)  Her show is dedicated to building up women to be Godly keepers of the home, like in Proverbs.  It's on WCLF (Largo) here, but I understand people from all over this part of the country can get it. 

She has interesting Christian guests, then usually has a cooking segment with her assistant, Wanda.  In the case of Roger and Anita and Little Mary, the guests join them in the kitchen and demonstrate wonderful dishes that can be enjoyed by the whole family.  That's how I found Roger and Anita -and Let's Do Lunch. I was up at 5 a.m. ironing a shirt for Neil to wear to work & I caught their appearance.  They were cooking Pizza Soup (Eat all you Want and still Lose Weight).  As I said before, nothing like a nice bowl of pizza at 5 a.m.!  I've only seen Roger & Anita that one time.  I've never seen Mary at all, although I've heard that she did a whole series of appearances on the program.  Once upon a time Carolyn was making copies of the program(s) and distributing them to interested LDL'ers. 

I think that was a couple of years ago, and there is probably a whole new crop of LDL'ers (like Doreen and me) who would love to see these programs.  Carolyn and Mary, is there any way to 1) know ahead of time when LDL is going to be featured and 2) can we still get copies of past appearances?

IGWT -- Love, Gwen
Last edited by Gwennaford on October 31st, 2008, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

Thanks Gwen for explaining that for me...I didn't want to be in the dark...things go bump in the dark, ya know?
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Count me in.  I'd like to see those DVD's.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

knighte

Post by knighte »

My DH loves cilantro and beans. What a marvelous combo for him. Thank You.
P
E