Zippy Hummus

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
jsprik
Master Member

Zippy Hummus

Post by jsprik »

Zippy Hummus

Get This:

2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 t. lemon zest
2 1/2 T. lemon juice
1 T. water
1 T. kosher salt
2 large cloves garlic (2 heaping T. minced garlic)
1 T. chopped onion
1/3 c. plus 2T. light tasting extra virgin olive oil plus 2T. for garnish
1/4 t. cumin
1/4 t. paprika
1/4 t. dried oregano

Do This:

In the bowl of a food processor, add the chickpeas (garbanzo beans), the lemon zest and juice, the water, the kosher salt and the garlic cloves, and process for about a minute to combine well; then, slowly drizzle in the 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil while the processor is running, until the dip is creamy and completely smooth; you may need to stop the processor and scrape down the sides a couple of times with a spatula to get all of the ingredients well processed.

Once the hummus is smooth and creamy, spoon it out into a serving dish and sprinkle the cumin, the paprika and the dry oregano over top, and finish with a drizzle of the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Then you just take your favorite dippable things and start dipping!! Celery, peppers, carrots, whathaveyou.

What is your favorite thing to dip in hummus?

Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

look me up on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JoannaReneeSprik
my blog: http://foodgurly.com
omalani
Master Member

Re: Zippy Hummus

Post by omalani »

I love slices or sticks of raw turnips. I also use it instead of mayo on rye crisps and corn thins when making meat, cheese or veggie sandwiches. If I have left overs I have stirred it inot soups to thicken them, and pre LDL added oatmeal or rice to make veggie burgers. I think I will try it with shredded zuchini to make zucchini patties. Maybe I'll try some lemon jc. and make a salad drsg with it. You can never eat enough beans!! God created us with creative abilities and that's what I like about LDL, It's all about our relationship to God, each other and enjoying all the wonderful things He created. Life is good.
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

I bought some garbanzo beans today too! :D I think I might try to make my own hummus. I've got some fresh garlic cloves I could roast and use. I wonder what worchestershire sauce would taste like in it? Little Mary where are you? We need advice! LOL

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.
Master Member

Post by jsprik »

LP, I'm sure worcesterchire sauce would be great in it! I would go with a tsp to start with and go from there! It can overpower other flavors with just a bit. Roasting the garlic sounds divine!!!

Let us know how the worcesterchire sauce works out!! :)

Blessings...
Jo

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I love making Humus. I have a 'favorite flavor of the week" all the time.
Believe it or not! I love dill pickle juice in mine. Great as "a mayo" on cornwiches, and in cabbage or broccoli slaws. I add a little chick or veggie broth to thin it out or V8 juice.
Worcestershire is salty and savory thinking to me. I use that for my left over steak pieces or with sweet red peppers. Also good on Salmon.
I don't add oil at the start anymore. So, maybe it's not truly a humus...hmmmmmmm.
Some days I want the EVOO taste and some days I don't.
Hummmm- for us- is just so versatile. It takes on any flavor you are in the mood for. Roasted garlic is a favorite of mine too of course! It's the butter in my life now!
We are going camping the next few days. Better go get my hummmmm-ing done! I love this with corn thins sitting around the camp fire. FINALLY, we will need a fire this time around...Burrr--YEAH.
Zesti
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi Jo,

Oh I'm so glad you responded. I've never made hummus before but I LOVE it! Maybe mine will be healthier than what I buy at the store. :) I'll keep you posted for sure and thanks again for this idea!

Blessed and Loved,
LP
Master Member

Post by jsprik »

LP, it will most definitely be healthier! The stuff you buy in the store has Tahini in it, which is Sesame Oil...which is not good for weight loss. Since we are using EVOO, it is much healthier, as EVOO is a healthy fat!!

I'm excited for you to try this, you're gonna love it!! You can try all kinds of add-ins to this, green olives, black olives, red peppers (sweet, or hot), all kinds of things, use your imagination...like Zesti said, the the chickpeas are mild and kinda take on the flavor of whatever you add...these are all "savory" hummus'. You can make sweet ones, too by adding things like pumpkin and cinnamon (stevia to sweeten more if needed) and use apples to dip!

The options are limitless really, as long as you use LDL approved food, you're good!!

Blessings...
Jo

LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Thanks Jo! I'll let you know how mine turns out. I hope better than my beet salad today. LOL

Blessed and Loved,
LP