Homemade Low-fat Mayo

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
abundantlyblessed

Homemade Low-fat Mayo

Post by abundantlyblessed »

Homemade Low-Calorie Olive Oil Mayonnaise

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 cup low-fat milk

1 teaspoon honey

1 large egg

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup virgin olive oil

Makes a little more than 1-1/2 cups or about 25 tablespoons.  Each serving is 1-tablespoon.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 40 Calories; 3g Fat (70.2% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 99mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Last edited by Anonymous on March 11th, 2009, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: Homemade Low-fat Mayo

Post by robnveronica »

You'd have to figure out something else for the corn starch and for the whole milk sub. either non fat or soy
but other than that>>>> Maybe!
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

I wonder if the same measurement of pureed white beans would work in place of the cornstarch. I don't have time to try this out right now but if someone else can do it please let us know.

Homemade Low-Calorie Olive Oil Mayonnaise

2 tablespoons pureed white beans (original recipe says cornstarch)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup evaporated fat-free milk (original recipe says evaporated whole milk)
1 teaspoon honey
1 large egg
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup virgin olive oil

This recipe isn't hard but the first time you prepare it, it may seem tedious.  After you've made it several times you'll find that it goes together quite quickly and takes little effort on the part of the cook.

Start with a 2-quart saucepan.  Choose one that doesn't burn easily.  Measure the cornstarch, salt, dry mustard and cayenne into the pot.  Mix with a fork to blend.  Stir in the evaporated milk, honey and egg.  Cook and stir the mixture over medium heat until it comes to a boil.  Stir frequently and keep an eye on it because it will boil before you expect.  When the mixture boils whisk it briskly to cream out any lumps.  The dressing will be very thick.  Remove the pan from the heat.

Measure the lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil into the pot with the warm dressing.  Using electric beaters, or a whisk and sturdy arm, beat the mixture smooth.

Pour the dressing into a pint-sized jar.  Lay a small piece of plastic wrap directly atop of the mayonnaise.  Make sure it touches the entire surface.  Screw the lid lightly onto the jar and place it in the refrigerator.  When the mixture has cooled sufficiently you may remove and discard the plastic wrap.  Hot milk mixtures tend to form a skin on top as they cool.  Covering the surface with plastic wrap prevents that skin from forming.
abundantlyblessed

robnveronica wrote:You'd have to figure out something else for the corn starch and for the whole milk sub. either non fat or soy
but other than that>>>> Maybe!

Ooops! I've been at this a while and didn't realize cornstarch was a no-no.  :-[

Michele
Race Fan

Post by Race Fan »

Is corn starch really a no .... bummer!  One of my favorite recipes from the boards is Chicken with Artichokes.  The recipe calls for one tsp. of cornstarch. 

:(

Oh well, I'll have to modify.

Hugs,

Dawn 

>^..^<
Race Fan

Post by Race Fan »

Good grief ... now I am off on a cornstarch quest.  Here is what I found on the internet:

"cornstarch, material made by pulverizing the ground, dried residue of corn grains after preparatory soaking and the removal of the embryo and the outer covering."

Doesn't that sound legal? 

I know there are tons of people out there who know a lot more about LDL than I do ... please let us know if cornstarch is ok.

Thanks and Hugs!

Dawn

>^..^<
Race Fan

Post by Race Fan »

Thanks, Little Mary ... knew I could count on you!

You're the best!

God Bless and Hugs,

Dawn

>^..^<
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

sorry I caused you guys to panic!!! :( I knew it was ok to use cornstarch occasionally just knew if we were making mayo for everyday consumption, it  wouldn't be a good Idea!  ;)
Race Fan

Post by Race Fan »

No panic ... just me being dazed and confused ... LOL.

Hugs,

Dawn

>^..^<
abundantlyblessed

No problem Veronica! I posted it because I was curious about it.  Thanks for raising the awareness.

Mary, thanks for posting the tofu mayo in its own post and for mentioning the one Roger posted before as I hadn't seen it.

Here's the link the the one Roger posted:
http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index.php?topic=687.0

I won't be reinventing the mayo recipe!  ;D Thanks ya'll!

Michele