Ketchup From Scratch, No Sugar

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
EnJae
Master Member

Ketchup From Scratch, No Sugar

Post by EnJae »

I have not had ketchup in over a year. I am trying to find a barbecue recipe to make but everything I found had ketchup as an ingredient.
I did a google search for homemade ketchup and this was the first site listed:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recipe ... &mid=17087

Homemade Ketchup
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Ketchup
Serves/Makes: 20 oz    |  Difficulty Level: 2    |  Ready In: < 30 minutes

Ingredients:

12 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1 clove garlic -- pressed

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.

I'll try it out later today and let ya'll know how I like it.
NJ
EnJae
Master Member

Re: Ketchup From Scratch, No Sugar

Post by EnJae »

ps: The reason I chose to cut ketchup completely out is because for over 40 years I had a habit of eating sugar straight from the sugar bowl and sipping Karo Corn Syrup and Del Monte Ketchup (or do they say 'catsup'?) straight from the bottles. I also ate brown sugar from the bag, molasses or honey with a spoon, sugar cubes...
[Hi, my name is EnJae and I am a sugar-holic.]
I am very proud of myself that I have broken those habits (and thankful to my Abba for giving me the desire to stop, and to RT for passing on the instructions for how to stop the cycle of cravings).

I still sip mustard from those little individual packets after first reading the ingredients list to make sure it has no hidden sugars.  ;D
Last edited by EnJae on December 1st, 2007, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

nj...mary had posted the name of a low sugar ketchup..it's heinz's reduced sugar variety.......see if you can find it....i never looked for it because i don't eat any of the stuff i used to put ketchup on......if i eat a burger, i only put ketchup on it if it's on a bun........i guess i don't really like ketchup that much......niki
Last edited by niki on December 1st, 2007, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

EnJae wrote:ps: The reason I chose to cut ketchup completely out is because for over 40 years I had a habit of eating sugar straight from the sugar bowl and sipping Karo Corn Syrup and Del Monte Ketchup (or do they say 'catsup'?) straight from the bottles. I also ate brown sugar from the bag, molasses or honey with a spoon, sugar cubes...
[Hi, my name is EnJae and I am a sugar-holic.]

wow, nj...i was bad, but i never did any of that stuff.....plain sugar doesn't taste good....honey with a spoon?.....yes...THAT i can see....gosh, maybe you're better off passing on the ketchup...niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Rt; I have been to the store to get the few ingredients I did not have on hand. But I haven't been home yet to try to make the ketchup, yet. Just got off work and am currently over at my foster-dad's. I'll give you an update later.

niki; yeah, you can see why I don't eat ketchup anymore. I'm afraid that even a little bit of the sugar and corn syrup in it would cause me to go into a feeding frenzy. But I'll give this recipe a try in a few hours and see how I do with it.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

I never did make this recipe way back when I posted it. BUT I DID finally make it today. And it is good!
I will attempt to Make Little Mary's Shepherd's Pie sometime this week using this homemade batch where it calls for ketchup.
NJ
lpomlove

Post by lpomlove »

EnJae, I was the say way.. didn't need cake or such. just give me the sugar bowl , and brown  sugar WOW.  never ate cake either just the butter cream icing.  would go buy cupcakes at wal-mart and sit in the car and eat the icing off everyone of them and throw the cup cake part away..  So far on this I have been just fine.  praise the Lord..