Questions about low-fat/no-fat mayo

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
abundantlyblessed

Questions about low-fat/no-fat mayo

Post by abundantlyblessed »

I was looking at the ingredients and nutrition info on some mayo a little while ago and I found that No Fat Mayo had sugar in it whereas Low Fat Mayo didn't. So, from an LDL standpoint, which should we watch out for more closely, sugar or fat content?

Curious,
Michele ºÜº
niki
Administrator

Re: Questions about low-fat/no-fat mayo

Post by niki »

sugar
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Yep - She's right!  That sugar is nasty stuff!

Michelle - I use Hellman's Reduced Fat Mayo.  To me it tastes GREAT - and even though I've not compared mayo labels in a long time, I believe that this one is one of the lowest fat - and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have sugar in it...

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I bought some Hellman's mayo just so I could make Carolyn's ranch dressing recipe.  But on reading the label, I see that is it "Light" not "Reduced Fat"  It has the best mayonnaisey taste of any of the light brands I have ever tried. 

Ingredients are:  Water, Soybean Oil, Vinegar, Modified Corn Starch, Whole Eggs and Egg Yolks, Sugar, Salt, Lemon Juice, Xanthan gum, etc. etc. etc. chemicals; and 40 calories, 4.5g fat, <1g carb per 1 Tbsp. serving.

Kraft Light Mayo contains approx. the same ingredients in the same order, but has 50 calories, 5g fat and 1g. carb per 1 Tbsp. serving.

Maybe we should try using the blender and making our own mayo with Egg Beaters and EVOO.  YEARS ago I saw this being done on TV with a stick blender in a tall narrow container just wide enough to accommodate the blender blade at the bottom.  They put in a couple eggs, lemon juice & salt at the bottom, and poured about a cup of oil in the top.  Starting with the blender blade at the very bottom, they S..L..O..W..L..Y  drew it up through the oil & by the time it reached the top, it had turned into perfectly emulsified mayonnaise.  You would have to use it sparingly because it's almost pure oil, but it would be much healthier than commercial mayo & wouldn't have all those chemicals & sugar. 
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

I started using a product called Smart Beat mayo. It's not bad once you get used to the taste. Not saying it taste bad, but it has more of a Miracle Whip taste then a true Mayo taste.

Here is what the bottle looks like:

Here are the nutrition facts (thanks to the Daily Plate website)

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/smart-beat/nonfat-mayonnaise-16-oz

I've tried researching the ingredients, but can't find it on line. I will have to wait until I get home to look at them.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

It took some searching, Tom, but this is what I found:

Smart Beat mayonnaise

Ingredients: water, corn starch-modified, sugar, vinegar, maltodextrin, salt, contains less than 2% of cellulose gel, egg whites, lactic acid, artificial color, xanthan gum; sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate & calcium disodium EDTA to protec quality, lemon juice, natural flavors, beta carotene (color) onion powder, garlic juice concentrate, oleorsin paprika.

(The smart-aleck in me says, "Mmmmmmmmm - Just like Mom used to make"....  ;D)

Carolyn

tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

GOOD GRIEF !!

Of all the Charlie Browns, I am the Charlie Browniest.

NEVERMIND !!

Last edited by tcasola on March 25th, 2008, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Yeah..........  I know......  :(

Carolyn

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Gwennaford wrote:Maybe we should try using the blender and making our own mayo with Egg Beaters and EVOO. 

you wouldn't have to use eggbeaters...just a couple of egg yolks isn't a lot of cholesterol....just like you wrote..egg yolk, lemon juice and you slowly drizzle in the oil....i used to make it in my food processor years ago in my healthy years...that was when i started reading labels and was flabbergasted to see all the chemicals that were in certain things....... 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
abundantlyblessed

Post by abundantlyblessed »

Yippee! I made a right choice for a change! LOL  I went with the lowest sugar mayo and so ended up with Low Fat instead of fat free mayo. But I prefer Miracle Whip Light to any mayo!

Michele ºÜº

And thanks Niki for the Hello on the other post!  :)  It is nice to be back!  I'm going to give it a strict 8 weeks and hope to lose some good weight! I just keep sabotaging myself every time I'm almost below 200. UGh!!!!!  At first I was just going to commit to a whole year, but that has backfired drastically!!! And I have really blown it since a day before Valentines day. Argh! So I figure a shorter term committment might work. Who knows....I'm tired of never getting lower. AND I've got this 'apron of skin' hanging below my belly button already (40 pound loss) and am afraid it is only going to get disgustingly worse as I lose more, so maybe just 40 more pounds would be best.  I don't know.....I'm rambling big time....good night.
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Remember....Even Roger Troy said he had that Apron of skin that he had TUMMY TUCK to remove once he lost all the weight! There's nothing wrong with that if your skin doesn't want to spring back into place.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

niki wrote:
Gwennaford wrote:Maybe we should try using the blender and making our own mayo with Egg Beaters and EVOO. 

you wouldn't have to use eggbeaters...just a couple of egg yolks isn't a lot of cholesterol....

I think I'll stick to a pasteurized egg substitute, especially in uncooked dishes.  Can't take any chances due to my suppressed immune system -- all part of the RA treatment.  :)
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

abundantlyblessed wrote:I'm going to give it a strict 8 weeks and hope to lose some good weight! .................. At first I was just going to commit to a whole year, but that has backfired drastically!!!

Michelle - Sometimes I need to take it just ONE DAY at a time - sometimes just ONE MEAL at a time.  To me, 8 weeks is like a life time...  way too long!!  And once the 8 weeks is over?  I would probably sabotage myself...

No, no, no............  too much like a D-I-E-T .......  I could never give myself a time frame....  This is just me...

Carolyn

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

tcasola wrote:
NEVERMIND !!

One of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE characters!  Gilda, we miss you SO! 

(Ladies - Please, please, please - Get your yearly GYN check.... early detection may have made the difference between Gilda being here and what turned out to be...)    :'(

Carolyn
Last edited by Queenie on March 26th, 2008, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

michele....just take one day at a time..........don't worry about tomorrow......what you have to do is follow let's do lunch strictly for a week and you'll be fine....i would abstain from ANY occasional foods if i were you until the cravings are really gone......and eat LOADS of beans......BQ
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

you know what?....i forgot about the fact that we can't eat raw eggs anymore because of fear of salmonella....i have to look online about wether it makes a difference if the eggs are organic............... 
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

ok a newbie question
what about Dukes Mayo?
here are the ingredients:
soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled AND cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors* ok this is likely questionable* calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

Now the facts are 1TBSP  100 cal 12 g fat 1.5g sat fat 7 polyunsat fat 2.5 mono fat cholesterol 10mg sodium 75mg no carbs no sugar no protien

I tried the lite version and its loaded with sugars and other ingredients this one isnt...........input please or a tried and true mayo recipe
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

This will be a good one when you absolutely have to have mayo.