spicing up fish

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
xraybedo

spicing up fish

Post by xraybedo »

i know all of you probably know these tricks for seasoning fish but being a newbie i thought maybe i could help other new comers...

i love fish. i buy the family size box of frozen tilapia filets at walmart. for roughly $10 u get about 30 individually wrapped filets. Tilapia is a fish that tastes like catfish but has a firmer texture so it cooks better. won't fall apart on ya when you cook it on a G. Foreman grill!!. it absorbs seasonings well and has a mild fish flavor (not too fishy!!) here are my two favorite ways to season it:

1. sprinkle chef paul prudhomme's seafood magic seasoning blend on both sides of a frozen filet. Preheat the GF grill and spray with olive oil Pam. Cook about 4-6 min. i like to flip mine once half way through.

2. again, use a frozen filet. on both sides sprinkle with lime juice, lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper. cook on the GF grill the same way. this one is tangy. would be good with mango salsa. my friend has a good recipe for that and i will post it later.
NOTE: watch the lemon pepper seasoning. read labels. most have sugar. i try to get one with sugar at the bottom of the ingredients list (means product contains less of it) i don't eat any bread, rice, noodles, or potatoes at all so my lemon pepper seasoning is my one indulgence!! Ha.

would love to hear other fish seasoning ideas! thanks
jenibug530
New, but learning

Re: spicing up fish

Post by jenibug530 »

I bought some seafood magic and have used it quite a few times. Even my husband who isn't doing LDL, loved the broiled fish.  I have never thought about buying the plain frozen fillets!! Yummy!!
niki

Post by niki »

hi jen....i bought that too when someone on the boards recomended it...i buy tilapia or salmon and put seafood magic on and put it on the forman grill.....this is really the only way i make fish unless i see mushrooms are on sale and then i make it according to that recipe i posted for tilapia with mushrooms and onions........i eat more fish than i ever ate before(not that i eat it that much...it's just that i never used to eat fish unless i was on a diet...now i really like it)..................niki
imkay

Post by imkay »

Hey Tess,
  just remember that sesame oil is not an allowable food on LDL.
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice