HOME MADE APPLESAUCE, NO SUGAR ADDED

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
hcd13
New, but learning

HOME MADE APPLESAUCE, NO SUGAR ADDED

Post by hcd13 »

Hi Everyone,
This is a great recipe for applesauce I got from www.recipezaar.com! Very simple. (My hubby said it was the best applesauce he has EVER eaten!)  ENJOY!!!  :thumbsup: 

QUICK HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE - NO SUGAR ADDED

3 lbs apples
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1 1/2 cups water
2 thin lemon slices
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Peel and core apples, (can leave skin on some for a different taste and texture)
Cut apples into approximately 1 inch cubes.

2.  Add all ingredients to the pot and turn heat on high.  Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
Simmer for 20 minutes or until apples are softened significantly.

3.Stir frequently, making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot.  Add more water if needed.
Remove lemon slices.

4. Mash with a potato masher or use a food mill for a smoother consistency.  Serve warm or at room temperature.
hcd13
New, but learning

Re: HOME MADE APPLESAUCE, NO SUGAR ADDED

Post by hcd13 »

Hi Little Mary,
I was really surprised how sweet it was.  Kind of a tart/sweet.  You know that after affect.  I forgot to add that the recipe also said you could use 1/2 sweet apples/Braeburn and 1/2 tart/Granny Smith.  I have no clue what kind I used.  Just a bunch I got from Costco.  I think the salt cuts the tartness.  I can remember when I was a kid, sitting up in the apple trees with a salt shaker eating the "green" apples before they were totally ripe. My parents had 13 apple trees in the back yard.  LOL  Boy, did I get a tummy ache.  :sick: Did the same think in the tomato patch.  Makes my mouth water just writing about it.  Use to put salt on cantaloupe and watermelon too, when I was young.  Not anymore.

Oh what memories.
Pamela
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

I have added salt to butternut squash and it does bring out the sweetness.

Kathy
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

This sounds soooo good - a great cold-weather treat.  I just bought Fuji apples from Sams and they are wonderful - crisp, juicy and very sweet.  I bet they'd make great applesauce.  About how many apples did you use?  I don't have a food-scale to weigh them.
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

I love those Fuji apples from Sam's too!  I haven't tasted a sweeter apple yet.

o2bthin, I don't know how many apples were used but I googled how many apples make a pound and found the answer to be 3......but it didn't say what size apple.  I know those Sam's Club bags are 5 lb bags and the apples tend to be large.  Maybe 2 of those would be closer to a pound.
Hah, guess I'm not much help here. :rolleyes:
mrsj
hcd13
New, but learning

Post by hcd13 »

Hi o2bthin,
I think I used 6 apples and they were about the size of baseballs.  Also, if you like it a little sweeter, you could add a little Splenda, but I would imagine that if your apples were really sweet, you wouldn't need it.

Hope you enjoy it.  Pamela
redkat

Post by redkat »

hcd13,  thanks for the recipe.  That sounds really good.  I wonder if a food processer would work to "mash" it.  I bought a bag of thos fuji apples this past weekend from Sam's.  This morning I ate the last of the Granny Smith's I had at home (halved it, scooped out the core, spritzed w/butter spray, added cinnamon, splenda and raisins and cooked in microwave for about 3 min).  That was good, but I would like the applesauce for when I can't use a microwave.  This would be more "portable" for night job breaks.

Kathy
Kathy
hcd13
New, but learning

Post by hcd13 »

Hi Kathy,
I am sure that you could use the food processor.  I do it with the potato masher becuase I like it chunky.  You apple recipe is one I am going to try today.  Sounds yummy!  Thanks for sharing.
Pamela
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

Thanks hcd13 and mrsj for the info.  I'm thinking of making chunky applesauce in place of apple pie for Thanksgiving.  Love those Fuji apples.  Love LDL!
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2