Heniz Ketchup Copy Cat Verison

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
Mary J
Master Member

Heniz Ketchup Copy Cat Verison

Post by Mary J »

Hi guys,

I found a recipe for a copy cat of Heinz Ketchup..... What can I use to sub for the corn syrup in this recipe?

Any idea's

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Heinz- ... sion-28412

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Red Lion Lass

Re: Heniz Ketchup Copy Cat Verison

Post by Red Lion Lass »

Hi Mary J,

I like to make a homemade catsup but I use a recipe that calls for apple juice instead of corn syrup or sugar.

Red Lion Lass
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Hi Red Lion,

Could you please post your recipe?  I did make the one that is on this site already,,,, its pretty good, but tastes like its missing something....

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Red Lion would I put the same amount of apple juice in as corn syrup.  I bought the sugar free ketchup from the store and it is very bland.
Red Lion Lass

Post by Red Lion Lass »

I posted it for you Mary J.

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=9207.0

Wendy, I suppose you could experiment with the apple juice.

Red Lion Lass
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I bought Walden Farms sugar free, calorie free ketchup that is sweetened with Sucralose.  It is SOOO sweet it's like syrup.  Tastes more like old fashioned Wishbone French or Russian salad dressing.  Definitely not ketchup.  :poo:

I'm looking for my old fashioned ketchup recipe.  It was good, but don't remember if it had sugar or not.  Probably did.  

Has anyone considered substituting Stevia for the apple juice concentrate?  Which is still concentrated sugar, any way you look at it.  

RT has approved Walden Farms calorie-free products for fork dipping, as are all condiments.   :)
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 20th, 2010, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

You could experiment with agave nectar or honey and use it for fork dipping. Have not used ketchup for a couple years after reading about HFCS. But still need miracle whip for some things we still eat. Going to try the recipe Coding Queen sent for it. Just have not had the time to work with it. Loved the taste of the honey in a dressing a friend made for over broccoli. Just was thinking it may flavor up the ketchup too.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

noooooo.... please no agave nectar.  Even honey is questionable. They are all concentrated sugars.  I don't know what the answer is.  Mary can tell you the name of the no-sugar ketchup she uses occasionally.  It may be carb options.  I forget.
ImageImage
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Did not think the honey or agave would be any worse than the concentrated apple juice.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Red Lion Lass gave her recipe to me awhile back. I just used organic apple juice and some stevia (about 1/4 tsp.) for the extra sweetness that I would have gotten from the concentrate.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on April 21st, 2010, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Thanks for the tip, Mary.  I rarely use ketchup anymore, but I do enjoy it mixed with cinnamon & baked on top of LDL meatloaf patties. 

I'm afraid to try the Beef Potato (Shepherd's) Pie again since it sent me into such a feeding frenzy.  That was soo weird.  I couldn't stop eating it until it was totally gone and I was sick, but still searching for more to eat.  :sick:  I don't think it was due to the tiny amount of regular ketchup I used, but it could have been.  I think it was just me having an emotional meltdown.  The BPP is the kind of comfort food recipe I used to sit down and finish in one sitting when I was REALLY fat and miserable and hated my life.  I think it triggered some kind of sense memory of those bad old days.  I'd like to make it again when I have someone around to eat it with me and take away the leftovers!  :laughing:

What does that have to do with ketchup?  Maybe nothing, but talking about using sugary ingredients in making ketchup reminded me about sneaky sugars.  *scyth*

Remember the Walden Farms overly sweet ketchup I mentioned previously?  I mixed it with a little vinegar, hot sauce, brown mustard, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, onion & garlic powder.  It made a decent calorie-free sweet BBQ sauce.

I was watching a TV show about pub grub and how they fry green beans as a low carb substitute for french fries.  I didn't fry them, but I blanched some fresh green beans, sprayed lightly w/garlic olive oil, and seasoned them heavily with S&P & onion powder to make mock french fries.  Dipped them in the smoky Walden/BBQ sauce when I ran out of hummus.  Pretty tasty!  :thumbsup:
ImageImage