Spicy Chickpea Dip

Top off your foods with these great tastes!
Mary J
Master Member

Spicy Chickpea Dip

Post by Mary J »

Spicy Chickpea Dip

Taking the tahini (sesame paste) out of this hummus variation makes it a low-fat dip that’s still full of flavor. Toasting whole cumin seeds and then grinding them to a powder adds a smoky flavor you can’t get from preground cumin.

Ingredient List
Makes about 3 cups

1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 Tbs. lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, chopped (about 1 Tbs.)
1/4 tsp. hot paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbs. olive oil
Directions
Cook cumin seeds in small skillet over medium heat 3 minutes, or until lightly toasted, shaking pan constantly. Transfer to plate, cool, then grind to fine powder in coffee grinder or spice grinder.
Blend chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika and cayenne in food processor until finely chopped. With machine running, add olive oil in steady stream, and process until smooth.
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
LovinLDL

Re: Spicy Chickpea Dip

Post by LovinLDL »

Hi Mary J,

Sorry about my post questioning avocados....I really thought they weren't on plan.  I am just wondering, are the cumin seeds any better than the sesame paste for weight loss?  I think this dip would be delicious without seeds altogether, yes?  I know your recipe only calls for a little and it's probably not that big of a deal at all, but it might trip up someone to see cumin seeds in a recipe and, even tougher for me, if I add a little "occasional" food here and a little there, next thing I know I've gained weight....just sneaks up on me.

Newbies, the original plan says to avoid seeds because they are full of fat....hummus without the sesame paste is one our favorite treats....especially the jalapeno variety.

Blessings and Thanks,
Julie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I'm not sure, but I don't think the seed ban counts when you're talking about spices.  If it did, we would have to eliminate almost all spices that come from seeds . . . nutmeg, allspice, black peppercorns, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, celery seed, dill seed, fennel seed, cloves, dry mustard powder . . .

I was thinking the seeds we aren't supposed to eat are the ones that we use more like nuts -- pine nuts, sesame and sunflower seeds, for example. 

Am I wrong? 
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I have always used celery seed in recipes.... and this is only a tsp in 2 whole cans of chick peas..  I am going to try it anyway... it sounds very good.

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI Mary ,

This sounds great.  You could always use smoky paprika and it could do double duty and give the smoky flavor as well as the paprika flavor.  I use it on lots of stuff but like it especially on my chick peas when I pan roast them in EVOO before I toss them in my salad.  YUM!

Julie :rose:
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Gwen,

I totally agree.  I was mostly thinking out loud because this recipe brings to light the very real possibility that the tahini has little more sesame seeds in it than most of us use like spices, yet since I've been on LDL I have avoided hummus made by others that I know has the tahini in it.  Note here that Mary is using cumin seeds but not the sesame seeds/tahini which seem used like a spice, yes?

I think the avocado post and this one have me bumping these type foods up the ladder a bit on "best choice" foods.  Like, yesterday, one of my friends made these incredibly tasty looking grilled chicken breasts with a avocado/tomato/cilantro topping.  She was serving these with an equally tasty looking salad of greens, pre-tossed with dressing, topped with lots of pecans, pine nuts, craisons and other dried fruit, rolls and cobbler.  Now, my friend would have just given me a grilled chicken breast without the avocado topping if I asked, but then it would have been very much more difficult for me to pass up the salad, so I ate the chicken topped with the pretty spread guilt free and passed on the salad with dressing, nuts and sugary dried fruit.  It isn't ever very difficult for me to pass up sweets/bread anymore but nuts, avocados, quinoe, millet, etc. all mixed in to these big beautiful salads that my incredibly thin/healthy friends make have me tempted lately.  I think being able to say "yes" to things like hummus and avocados will help.....I've just always avoided them on LDL....still learning....it is nice to find out it goes the other way too....I remember last time I learned that I was mistaken about what wasn't LDL...pomegranates (had been eating them for years, then last fall....they were out).....after that thread I started wondering if I should only be using de-seeded tomatoes and such....sigh! 

Mary, really, no offense, I am a hopeless "first-born"....this type of thread helps me if nobody else.  Thanks Gwennie!

Blessings,
Julie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

LovinLDL wrote:Newbies, the original plan says to avoid seeds because they are full of fat....hummus without the sesame paste is one our favorite treats....especially the jalapeno variety.

this is absolutely true....i KNOW i could never munch on pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.....and, forget about nuts....i, personally, make hummus that's totally allowable without any questionable ingredients...
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=3071.0

but, if i WANTED to eat one with a small amount of sesame paste, i would......there's what in one portion?....1/4 of a teaspoon?........BUT, when i first lost weight on let's do lunch, i ate the most basic foods and if something said "occasional", i translated it to "never"...i didn't eat any of the occasional foods..
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

I think untill you get to goal you have to avoid all the occasional foods or you may never get there. Like Roger says you can once in awhile yourself right off plan. So I will pass........WITHER
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

witheraway1 wrote:I think untill you get to goal you have to avoid all the occasional foods or you may never get there. Like Roger says you can once in awhile yourself right off plan. So I will pass........

that's fine........i know that if i ate the occasional foods, i wouldn't lose weight....but, there are some people that lose weight more easily...and so, they can manage to eat the occasional foods and still lose weight...you have to know yourself what works for YOU....
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I totally agree that a fraction of a teaspoon of tahini in a serving of hummus would not likely trigger insane cravings, etc.  However, some hummus recipes I have read call for as much as 1/3 cup of tahini for only one can of chickpeas.  That is WAY more than I would feel safe eating.  Since recipes vary so widely, and there is just no way to tell how much is in there, AND I would likely eat the whole thing in one sitting, it's best for me to stay away from all hummus if I know it's made with tahini.  When making it at home, I tend to think that since you really can't smell or taste it in there, why put it in?  (Not that anyone IS using it at home -- it's just an example of an unnecessary hidden ingredient.

Avocado slices on top of a serving of anything -- mmmm ... luscious.  That is a good example of using a fresh healthy ingredient in moderation.  I CAN discipline myself to make a avocado last through two or more meals, when I feature it like this.  But if I mash it up to make guacamole -- POOF -- it's gone before I know what happened

I guess I'm just a dip hog.  :drool:
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage