Post by VickiLynn »

3 cups egg substitute
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
3/4 cup diced red or green bell pepper, divided
3/4 cup diced tomato
1-1/2 cups 50 to 75% reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Spray liners with original Pam cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together egg substitute, salt, pepper, and thyme if using. Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into each lined cup. Add 1 tablespoon bell peppers, 1 tablespoon tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons cheese to each cup. Stir to mix.

Bake for 20 minutes or until eggs are thouroughy cooked, the turn oven off. Allow pan to rest briefly in the oven, about 1 minute, then remove pan.

Remove omelet cupcakes, and set on a cooling rack.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

Recipe may be halved.  You can also replace the peppers and tomatoes with any other favorite fillings -- try cooked ground turkey, mushrooms, broccoli, cooked drained spinach.  The cupcakes reheat well and could make a great on-the-go breakfast or lunch.

Note: If your cupcakes fall it is due to sudden changes in temperature but will not affect the taste. You may also reduce the cheese and use only 1 tablespoon per cupcake.
Last edited by VickiLynn on February 6th, 2012, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eljayne
Master Member

Re: Vegetable Omelet Cupcakes

Post by Eljayne »

VickiLynn, this sounds wonderful. I love fresh spinach and wonder if that might taste good in here. Have you ever added spinach? El
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

No, El, I have never added fresh spinach. The note on the recipe says to use cooked, drained spinich but I don't know why you couldn't use it uncooked.  I would recommend chopping it before using it -- same for fresh mushrooms.
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

VL, this is a clever idea to use with morning domino groups.  Thanks.  *love* and  *hug*  JF
street

Post by street »

Thank for sharing this wonderful recipe here. I have never thought that such  healthy and delicious cup cake can be prepared in home using simple kitchen appliances.
Anyways, thanks for share, hope we can have much more in future, too.
Last edited by Guest on December 7th, 2011, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SRose67

Post by SRose67 »

I have made this recipe numerous times. I have used raw spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and mushrooms. I usually set up little bowls of toppings that everybody in my family can make their own cup. My husband and son throw in jalapenos and every type of peppers. My daughter and I go for the spinach and broccoli. Well my other daughter dumps in everything. It is a great customizable meal