Post by LINDA RN »

Mexican-Style Eggs-In-A-Nest
Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Total: 25 min.

Ingredients
2 cups shredded refrigerated or defrosted frozen hash brown potatoes
  I would try freshly shredded potatoes or squash unless you can find fozen potatoes without any additives
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
1/2 tsp Mexican or taco seasoning
4 eggs
salt and pepper

Directions
Heat oven to 375°F. Combine potatoes and cheese in medium bowl. Sprinkle with seasoning; toss to mix.
Divide mixture evenly among four greased 1-cup ramekins or custard cups; press against bottoms and halfway up sides. Place on baking sheet.
Bake in 375°F oven 10 minutes. Break and slip an egg into each potato nest. Bake until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
cameron
Master Member

Re: Mexican-Style Eggs-In-A-Nest

Post by cameron »

This is my kind of recipe Linda! Thanks for posting it.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I guess a sauteed egg over a corn thin with some spicy refries would be the same thing, but with the shortage of corn thins, thought this was one that could be adapted. If anyone actually tries this, please post your variations and how it affected you.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Linda,

Are y'all having issues with the corn thins again?  What about the other company Little Mary recommended?

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Kenzi »

YUM! Ill have to try this!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

LP,
Have not tried the one's Little Mary mentioned. Was waiting for the Corn thins to be supplied.
In the meantime been snackin on those plain Sea Salt Chippins. Have to watch them though, easy to eat the whole bag. They are pressed popcorn too, but more oil used to make them crisp so more calories :-(
Linda

LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

I haven't seen those.  This week I had to buy the Wasa sourdough crackers instead of the light rye crisp.  I picked them because they don't have any wheat in them either.  Let me just say that they will be strictly for pizza crust or meatloaf.  They are terrible!  :laughing:

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by VickiLynn »

Linda,

This recipe sounds great and an alternative to another of my favorite breakfast egg dishes Vegetable Omelet Cupcakes: http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ht ... 84#p110484
Last edited by VickiLynn on February 6th, 2012, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

What is the shortage of corn thins all about?
I was able to call the Good Food Store in Missoula and they ordered it by the case and gave me 10% off each case of 6.  I ended up getting them for under $3.00 this way.  I hope when I call them tomorrow I can still order them so cheaply.

This recipe sounds wonderful.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I checked out iHerb and they are 2.99/sleeve. Figured a case of twelve which is what Amazon used to have was 36.00 with free shipping.
That is a bit more than the 29.99/case that Amazon used to have but still worth it.
Last edited by LINDA RN on February 23rd, 2012, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda

jopaul

Post by jopaul »

I found corn thins on Amazon (actually comes from another company - Red Tag Sale) and the price wasn't really good, but at least I'll have my corn thins. That was 10 days ago. They might come tomorrow. The nearby health food store that I always got them from didn't have any. Hopefully they'll come soon.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

I ordered a case from iHerb on the 19th and it arrived today!! Goodness that was fast! :thumbsup: Any time I think these are too expensive, I remember all of the junk food I used to buy and the cost of that! No contest! lol! :D
Shari

cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

Thats right Sharolyn,less expensive than junk. I am fortunate because the Safeway down the road carries Cornthins and  I go through a lot of them.

Have you made a fried egg sandwich with them yet? They are delish!
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Cameron, I haven't tried an egg sandwich with cornthins! I must do that. My favorite has always been scrambled eggs, with mayo & tomatoes. I think I'll try that very soon! :) Thanks for the suggestion. We no longer have Safeway stores in Texas.  :sad: I used to shop there a lot!
Shari

jopaul

Post by jopaul »

You're talking about the Mccornthins. They are so good. I make them several days a week. So good.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown