LDL Chorizo Sausage

Start your morning out right!
EnJae
Master Member

Re: LDL Chorizo Sausage

Post by EnJae »

I am thinking about returning to school to learn how to be a real masseuse! That will fit in GREAT with the plan for a day spa at the ranch!!!
Grammasuz

Re: LDL Chorizo Sausage/and day spa

Post by Grammasuz »

I'm good at VOLUNTEERING OTHERS, so I'll volunteer my daughter, Veronica (under robnveronica) for the massages.  She is a licensed PT asst and boy can she find the aches and pains!!  But she's good at what she does.  I say we need to get this ranch up and running!! 
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Hey wait a minute ladies.  Pleeeeze.  UR killing me!  First I said i'd deliver the mail and youse said yes.  Then joe invited me to do some grape stomping to make the wine and I said yes.  I also think when I get more fit  i will also wanna play some tennis when i'm not stomping on the grapes or delivering the mail cuz theres gonna be tennis courts there.  Pick on someone else to be the chorizo maker.   Ben
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

everyone of U better sit down n take a deep breath, I have something unbelievable to say 2 U.  I did it.  I did it and it turned out good.  I made the chorizo, and they looked like big ol sausage hamburgurs.  I had them with some eggs and I cooked the eggs by myself too.  Yummy recipie Miss Mary.  Now i ate some I changed my mind a bit.  I will take turns making the chorizo at the LDL ranch if every day a person takes a turn in the sausage cooking building.  Maybe there will be 5 of us who make it and them we have Saturdays and Sundays off work so we can play tennis.  It only takes maybe 15 minutes to mix this stuff up and then maybe 15 other minutes to fry em up, so its an easy gig to choose.  And if we cook it we gotta taste it to make sure its right.  Just call me Iron Chef Benny.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Congrats on the sausage results, Ben! If you made enough, you can wrap 1 or 2 of them separately in plastic wrap and put the wrapped patties in a zippy bag and save them for some time down the road. If you do this with just about everything you make, you'll always have something tucked away for those times you didn't prepare something ahead of time. And always label and date your freezer packages, too, so they just don't turn into packages of "mystery meat" that you have to toss out months from now when you don't remember what the heck they were! LOL.... I'm very guilty of that, but getting better! ....Keep on practicing, Ben! You'll be a natural at the stove in no time. :) ....NYKath
imkay

Post by imkay »

i made this today for my husband who is 4 days into LDL.  he loved it.  me, i don't really care for sausage.  but i added it to the stuffed spaghetti squash http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=1630.0
and he thought he was having a fancy spaghetti dinner!  thanks mary for making my hubby happy!!  :D
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I forgot to post that I made this the other day, too!

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS!!!

And after we ate what I cooked up - I rest and made chili with it!  Yum, yum, yummmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you again, Mary, for posting this!!

Love,
carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Okay yall I have two questions....

1.  Can you freeze these.

2.  How do yall keep your recipes with nothing but turkey from being dry?  I am finding mine always end up tasting dry.  What am I doing wrong?

(In Faith)  Little Princess
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Queenie »

Little Princess - Yes you can freeze this.  I made this last week, and it wasn't dry - but I'm sure that Mary will have an answer.

Carolyn

Corky
New, but learning

Post by Corky »

I made the sausage and chorizo recipes and found them to be dense and on the dry side also.  The next batch I peeled a medium apple and grated it into the sausage mix, voila! more the texture and more moist. I did not taste the apple, but they were good. I am going to mix 1/2 lean beef and 1/2 turkey breast for the next batch.
I love this LDL and experimenting with the recipes, Thanks to everyone for all the recipes and thanks to Roger Troy Wilson for listening to the Lord, when he called out for help for his weight problem and sharing with the rest of the world! Praise the Lord!
Corky
Corky
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

marysimmons wrote:Poultry can certainly be tricky!  It's unsafe if not thoroughly cooked, but if it's overcooked by even a minute or two, it can be all dried out and tough. 
Little Mary

Hummmmmmmm!  I bet I'm cooking it to long.  Maybe I will try the apple mixed in and have better results.  *Hugs*  Thank you for the answer.  :)

(In Faith)  Little Princess
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Queenie »

Certified Food Service Manager... and yes, knowing the internal temperature is VERY important in gauging whether food is safe to consume.   

Although regular beef doesn't seem to be a big culprit, GROUND beef can be.  One pound of ground beef can be a combination of up to 100 different cows.  If only one of those cows "slips" off the hooks that they are hung on in the packing plant, and drops on contaminated ground and not washed off (sounds gross, but it happens), that one cow can contaminate 100's of pounds of hamburger.   The good news is, that heating that ground beef to 160-165 degrees will kill most bacteria.

And poultry should be cooked to 165-170 degrees.  If you don't have a meat thermomter and USE it.  Worth many times over what you'll pay for it.

I've had food poisoning twice in my life - once when I was 7 months pregnant with my daughter (23 years ago) and the last was almost 4 years ago.  Both times from poultry.  The last time I got it, I truly thought I was going to die - I can't even begin to describe how sick I was.

Here are some guidelines:

Beef
Roasts, Steaks & Chops

Rare
120° to 125°F
center is bright red, pinkish toward the exterior portion

Medium Rare
130° to 135°F
center is very pink, slightly brown toward the exterior portion

Medium
140° to 145°F
center is light pink, outer portion is brown

Medium Well
150° to 155°F
not pink

Well Done
160°F and above
steak is uniformly brown throughout

Ground Meat
160° to 165°F
no longer pink but uniformly brown throughout

Poultry

Poultry (Chicken & Duck)
165° to 170°F
cook until juices run clear

Turkey
NOTE: A 12-lb turkey can easily handle 60 to 90 minutes of resting. During that time, temperature can rise 30 degrees if not exposed to drafts.

165° to 170°F
juices run clear
leg moves easily

Stuffing (cooked along or in turkey)
165°F

Pork
Roasts, Steaks & Chops

Medium
140° to 145°F
pale pink center

Well Done
160°F and above
steak is uniformly brown throughout

Sausage (raw)
160°F
no longer pink

Ham

Raw
160°F

Pre-cooked
140°F

BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Just thought youse should know that Iron Chef Benny has a great idea with this chorizo.  I cooked some up in little pieces and put it on my mini mushroom pizzas to watch the game yesterday.  They were really good, U should try em.  Ben
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

BigBen wrote:Just thought youse should know that Iron Chef Benny has a great idea with this chorizo.  I cooked some up in little pieces and put it on my mini mushroom pizzas to watch the game yesterday.  They were really good, U should try em.  Ben

I say IRON CHEF BENNY should invite us over and make this for the group!!!  YUM ;D
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Me too...or do you Deliver???!!! I'll take mine minus the Mushrooms please!
How soon can I expect that???
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Veronica;
You're going to have to make 'em yourself because if you don't want our Benny to use mushrooms he doesn't have anything to build the pizza on. Get busy and come up with your OWN crust sister!
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

But grammasuz on the other hand LOVES mushrooms.  So Big Buff Ben, INVITE ME!!! ;D