LDL Chorizo Sausage

Start your morning out right!
Queenie
Administrator

Re: LDL Chorizo Sausage

Post by Queenie »

Ben!!!

This sounds fantastic!!  I just happen to have some LDL chorizo sausage in my freezer right now.  I'm going to give it a try!  Thanks so much...

(And to think that less than 6 months ago you thought you couldn't cook!!)  I'm SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

DH loves chorizo so I am going to experiment with it. He always orders chorizo and eggs at the Mexican deli or restaurant.
Last edited by omalani on January 8th, 2014, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

marysimmons wrote:LDL CHORIZO SAUSAGE   

2 lb. lean ground skinless turkey breast
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. chili powder (More if you like really spicy!)
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Olive Oil or Olive Oil Spray.

1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Mix well until the seasonings are evenly distributed. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or even overnight.

2.  With your hands, make the mixture into patties or sausages. 

3.  Cook thoroghly in a heavy skillet with a few tsp. of olive oil or olive oil spray. 

This will give you the fun "chorizo" flavor without the fatty pork that is normally used.

Little Mary for some reason this sausage recipe has been on my mind for days now. I have a question though, can I make this without the vinegar?

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Zesti »

I can't wait to try this. I love chorizo, mixed with scrambles eggs and/or just the whites... Yummy!
I have never made my own though. I am really excited about this one. All my Mexican friends had their own family recipes. It was always so wonderful eating the different flavors. but of course. It was always made with pork and I imagine, not so lean pork either..but man oh man was it yummy...I have never tried to make my own though, now I am excited to try this with the turkey.

LP--don't you like vinegar? I think it's the vinegar that might make it taste more like chorizo than just ground turkey mix. I don't see it taking over the other ingredients. So, it's a great question. I am eager to hear what Mary has to say. And, now. I will have to experiment doing it both ways. I will make a batch but before adding the vinegar to all of it. I will remove some and do a taste test and see what the difference is..
I know letting this sit for at least 3 hours is the key to marinating the flavors into the turkey.
I also know, with or with out the vinegar it will make a great casserole. Just add eggs or just the whites and bake. On top of corn thins...WHOA! my mouth is watering now!
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

My little Italian grandmother-in-law used to put a little vinegar in when frying Italian sausage, to tenderize the sausage and deglaze the pan, when making "gravy" We call it spaghetti sauce. Every Sunday she got up early and made a pot of gravy. Then we would have a big Sunday dinner of Italian food, manicotti, lasagna, pasta and gravy, She taught me all I know and now I need to teach my children all I know. There are many kinds of vinegar and some are sweet, like balsalmic, and some more acidic like white vinegar. There are wine vinegars, and fruit vinegars. Experiment and see what you like. Life is sweet and sour!
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Zesty I like most vinegars I just don't have any in the house! LOL

Blessed and Loved,
LP

Post by LittlePrincess »

I went to the store today. I remembered the cumin but forgot the vinegar! LOL I tasted the cumin when I got home and I REALLY like it! I'm not positive but I THINK this is the spice in the sausage that I used to get on my pizza before I got back on plan. I'm going to experiment with some spices and see what I like. I'm going to try this recipe as soon as I remember the vinegar. =))

Blessed and Loved,
LP

Post by Zesti »

Cumin has been my preferred spice the last 6 months. I practially put it on everything! I steam my chicken breast and cabbage with it, add to chili of course and my roast pork, soups, pretty much everything.
When I go to the store I stand in front of the spice rack and try and find a spice I have never heard of or see one that I didn't like previously and try it again. Yellow curry was one I didn't really like before and/or I would add very little to what I was making with it. Now, I am finding I actually like it more. So, one's taste buds do change, I think. I am always open to new things and tastes.
I used to be a hot sauce freak and chili peppers. But, now. I find I don't want much of that either. I am still stuck on garlic, garlic oil, garlic bean spread, roasted Man, oh Man! still one of my favorites.
And and all ethinic stores I see, I stop and go inside. Finding fresh herbs I have never seen is like finding a long lost treasure. I love food! and herbs and spices just make it taste good!
Zesti
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

The herbs and spices are a very tasty way to get your vitamins and boost your immune system.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

I made this yesterday. Yum, yum!!! Looking forward to having some more of it today.

I would like to freeze what is left. Should I patty it up and freeze it raw or should I cook it first? Recommendations please.

Ollie
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Hi Ollie,
I do both. I did 2 batches of it. I want to do something with the second batch (raw) but I don't know just what yet. So I stuck it in the freezer.
I added batch 1 to eggs and baked, and eat fresh. I would freeze the left over's but I didn't have any! I cooked up seperate little sausages for the freezer so I can ZAP in the microwave in the morning. I like this flavor over the usual "sausage" flavor. Nice change.

I think I will stuff cabbage rolls and muchrooms later on in the week/month with the raw. Cover them with a sauce, maybe cheese, maybe not. Bake until done. Sauce depends on the mood I am in.
Hope that helps.

Zesti