Cornmeal?

Start your morning out right!
MamaCarley

Cornmeal?

Post by MamaCarley »

Can cornmeal be used as an everyday item?
Grammasuz

Re: Cornmeal?

Post by Grammasuz »

Hi Mama- Sorry, but the answer is no.  I am going to try and paste a note Roger wrote previously.  Also, if your go into SEARCH and type cornmeal you will see other responses.  Good luck.
**************************************************************************************************************************

Corn Masa, Cornmeal & "CORN Fructose" COULD BE FATTENING!
« on: February 02, 2004, 10:30:40 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It could be that the process of refining corn into corn masa mix or cornmeal makes it fattening.

Also, it's possible that the process of refining corn into fructose makes it fattening.

Therefore, please be advised that only on special occasions do you eat any of the recipes that have corn masa mix, cornmeal or more than a little "CORN fructose" in them.

The above is not to be confused with the popcorn, corn on the cob, cans of corn and fructose from fruits that are mentioned in the book...which are NON-FATTENING in my opinion.

Your friend, forever,

Roger
MamaCarley

Post by MamaCarley »

I'm confused by the Blueberry Corn Muffin mix post. In it the poster says he's been eating cornbread or muffins daily and in a following post Roger agrees. The recipe calls for "stone ground corn" is that different than corn meal?
MamaCarley

Post by MamaCarley »

Thanks for the reply(s). I did find the Lamb's Grist Mill Corn Meal at Randall's grocery store and we make a test batch last night. I see this as a "keep my sanity" type thing for those days when I just have to have something. If the ground corn is just corn and nothing else in the recipe is off plan, I wonder why it slows weight loss....? Interesting.
kristine13826
New, but learning

Post by kristine13826 »

Well I wondered because corn is what they feed the pigs to fatten them up for the holiday meal!  :stop:
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

When you eat corn, your body has to do the work of grinding it (chewing) and breaking down the cell walls (digestion). For some reason when we use a machine to do part of the process for us, we lose some of the benefit of healthy eating.
I was one of the "corn-meal guinea pigs". It made sense in my mind that if corn is healthy, then ground corn should be fine. I ate corn bread, grits and chips for a few weeks. My weight-loss stopped. near the end of my experiment, i even started gaining weight.
NJ