can i have grapenuts cereal?

Start your morning out right!
jewls1981

can i have grapenuts cereal?

Post by jewls1981 »

Hi I am new to all of this I don't like to cook and I have never really ate potatoes, rice, white bread before.  Grape nuts only has one gram of sugar and lots of fiber. Is this allowed? Also if any of you have easy recipes you could send my way I would really appreciate it.
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: can i have grapenuts cereal?

Post by robnveronica »

I know you're new to this, but double check the ingredients of the grape nuts. I know it's seems healthy, but it's made from "GRAIN" which except for long grain or whole grain BROWN rice, Is NOT GOOD!! I'm sure if i'm wrong someone here will correct me, but as Little Mary says: If in doubt LEAVE IT OUT!
Welcome to LDL and good luck in your journey
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Hi Jewls
        Welcome, what kind of recipes are you looking for? There are all types here on the boards and just ask if you are looking for something specific....someone will get back to you.
         I would probably stay away from the grapenuts as they are processed......try to find the least processed cereal you can. (shredded wheat , corn chex etc.)
         If you have a copy of the book make sure you read the diet section at least 3 times to make sure you understand it.
       I am so glad you joined us and look forward to talking with you.
                                       G-d bless
                                         Kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

hi jewls...........welcome to let's do lunch.......there are a LOT of really easy recipes on these boards....look for my recipe for greek bean soup and make it with any kind of beans you want..israeli chickpea soup is really easy also....there are SO many...............browse around and get comfortable..........you don't HAVE to cook a lot and you don't have to eat any particular food...you can choose from the allowable foods to find the ones you like so you can make an eating program for YOU................i wish you success..............sincerely,niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Here are the ingredients:

"POST CEREAL - CEREAL - GRAPE-NUTS
Ingredients: WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR, WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, SALT, DRIED YEAST, SOY LECITHIN. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

Most of these ingredients are LDL-friendly. However, the wheat flour, malted barley flour and the yeast are not.
1) Whole grain wheat flour is the least processed and is alright, but regular wheat flour is over-processed and becomes a product that slows your weight-loss.
2) "Malt" is on a list Tom Casola found of "hidden sugar" names. So the malted barley flour is out for 2 reasons: over-processing of the flour, and it's sugary.
3) Any time yeast is used, then sugar is used to feed it in the recipe (ie malted barley flour).

You would be better off choosing Post Shredded Wheat or Quaker Old-Fashioned Oatmeal.
(Be sure to not get the Instant, Quick-Cook or 5 Minute oatmeal.)

Now, take a deep breath; try not to feel offended that we 'knocked' your favorite cereal; and read a bit more.

We eat all the sweet fruit we want, without seeds; avoid fruits like figs that have the seeds all the way through the fruit.
We eat most vegetables. Roger Troy Wilson has found that a few  veggies are not ideal for this eating plan, so we do not eat potatoes, or sweet potatoes, and only rarely eat avocado which has a high fat content.
We eat the leanest meats. For instance 1/2# of lean ground beef mixed with 1/2# of ground turkey breast makes GREAT hamburger patties. Fish, white meat of any poultry, the leanest cuts of beef or pork.

I hope you'll stay around and see what we are all about.
NJ
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Hi Roger,
      I am not sure about ingrediants in corn chex as I am not a cereal eater, I was just referring to page 39 in the book where you suggested Ralston Corn Chex. If this no longer applies  please let me know thanks
                                          Kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
BradyBunchMom

Post by BradyBunchMom »

Shredded wheat is still a good choice for cereal cravings, right?  We do fruit and/or smoothies pretty much every morning but have found that adding oatmeal, shredded wheat or eggs (in that order of frequency) helps us make it to lunch without a snack.

Thanks for your "warning ticket" about other cereals.

Lovin LDL,
Julie
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Thanks Mary for clearing that up, Like I said I don't eat cereal so I never pay attention to what is in it. We do have steel cut oats as that is what my husband likes.
              Have a great weekend and G-d bless
                                      Kris
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

marysimmons wrote:Little Mary, a.k.a. Food Police Chief (it's a hard job, but someone has to do it. ;))

Roger Troy Wilson wrote:My mistake Kris! I had forgotten all about what it said in the first book. Thanks for reminding me. The next printing will have pages and pages of changes and additions, including what Little Mary said.

I feel so privileged to be in the company of such intelligent people.

God bless,

Roger Troy

I just wanted to add my thanks to our wonderful Little Mary!  It IS a thankless job - having to be the "bad guy" sometimes.... ok, maybe that is a bit over the top - but the bearer of bad news - no........ the bearer of things that people might not want to hear!!  You'se da best, girlie!!

Much love,
Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."