Ful

Start your morning out right!
margo
Master Member

Ful

Post by margo »

Hi everyone..

Here's how i make Ful -- the fava bean cooked in the Egyptian style.  Actually, the ful bean (or horse bean as we call it in Egypt) is smaller version of the fava bean, but it's close enough that i don't have to go running to the Egyptian area in Astoria every time He WHo Must be Obeyed  ;) wants some....

I learned my Egyptian cooking in the oasis city of AL-Fayoum which is southwest of Cairo.  It's an ancient city named after the crocodiles that used to abound there...thank goodness i didn't see any when i was there...i spent several months there trying to learn Arabic, learning how to cook, and just chillin'....(i really think that trip saved me from having a coronary or a stroke and when i got back i made some major changes in my style of working!)

Anyway...here's ful...

Take your beans and treat them as any other bean....pick the bad ones out and rinse and let them soak over night...

Throw that water off and put them on to cook just like any other bean.  At this point i add a bunch of garlic cloves...not finely minced but quartered, let's say. Let the beans cook until tender.  At that point i add some kind of flavoring like beef or chicken knorrs.  I take a large onion and grate it into the pot so that the pieces are very fine and will disappear in the water.

Oh...you don't want too much water in the beans at this point.  Just let the water cover the beans...Take out any extra water and reserve it on the side in case you need it later...you probably will...but watery ful is even less desireable than thick ful.

When you test the ful and see that they're tender, get your potato masher out and mash them...but not totally...because you're going to continue to cook the ful slowly and that will cause the bean to break down more. 

When the mashed ful is cooking very gently, look and see if you need to add back a bit of your water...add about a 1/2 cup at a time and stir it in and let it cook...while that's going, heat up a frying pan and finely mince more garlic and onion....i'd say, about a head of garlic and a medium onion.  Fry that slowly in a few spritzes of olive oil and some red pepper flakes and cumin.  Let them cook slowly until golden and then toss all of that into your pot of ful.  Add a bit more liquid if necessary.  I do not add tomato but you can add some tomato paste to the onion/garlic mix and then your bean broth will have a more red color to it.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I add cilantro and flat leaf parsley to the pot at the end but i've not seen that done in Egypt.

You can have hard boiled egg minced up on top.  You could have a fried egg on top too (Colombian style which is very delicious). 

It's tradition to put a bit of vinegar and a bit more olive oil right on top after you've served the plate of beans...and, you must serve it on a flatish plate so that the eater can easily mash the ful more.  It's always served with flat bread and loads of cool watercress on the side.  You can splash some hot sauce on top also.

I'm sure there are other ways of cooking ful.  I never learned the Cairo style but i prepared ful in Cairo for Cairo folks and they enjoyed them very much and laughed to no end about how my cooking tasted like their grandmothers' and how they would love to have my food when it's time to break fast after fasting......i was very proud and so was the General...i thought his chest would bust his buttons!

Enjoy and God bless
margo
Last edited by margo on September 3rd, 2008, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queenie
Administrator

Re: Ful

Post by Queenie »

margo wrote:......i was very proud and so was the General...i thought his chest would bust his buttons!

I can just picture this, and what a sweet picture!!  Thanks for sharing your recipe, Margo - it sounds wonderful...

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

That's basically how i make my garbanzos, little mary... it's the ful (horse bean) bean that tastes different to me.  It's large and it sort of scares me to look at it.  (do we have a shrink on LDL?  ;D)  Also..i don't care for the smell and i have a very delicate nose..i can smell almost everything....

i wish someone would try to cook them and let me know if they like them....i would only eat them if i were starving...oh, yeah..then i would eat them alright...and thank God for them too! For sure!  But if there exists any other bean in the world, i would prefer to eat it rather than ful.

i just love garbanzos...but i prepared some lentils (dal) for this evening and/or in the morning...just wanted a bit of a change...been eating garbanzos every day for months now!  And lentils don't give me much gas either... they look delicious....
hubby has his ful ready...
i will broil a nice piece of cod and a half pound of tiger shrimp seasoned with garlic etc. 
will report later what i actually ate.

thanks and God bless.
margo
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Margo, I enjoyed reading your ful story.  What an exciting life you're having!  I'd love to know how you came to be living in Egypt and how you met your husband.  You probably have already covered this before I arrived here, but it sounds so exotic and romantic -- like one of those Turner classic movie adventures where someone dark and dangerous-looking whisks away the delicate but fiery heroine to a desert oasis.  (...just give me a minute to catch my breath....gasp...)

Anyway, your ful recipe is similar to one of the ways I fix my garbanzos & other beans, but I'm looking forward to trying your recipe with ful or fava, and I have a couple of questions. 

I've never actually seen fava beans in real life.  My bean background out west was limited to pintos & navy beans, so I'm loving this opportunity to expand my bean horizon .  From what I've seen on TV, with the fresh ones I think you have to do something to them so you can peel off their tough outer skins and then cook them?  Maybe the dried ones are already husked (I'm assuming you buy them both dried?). 

Next, what quantity of beans do you start out with?  I love, love, love, cooking with lots of garlic & onions.  I know they are both much sweeter and mellower when they are cooked slowly and allowed to carmelize, but two heads of garlic and two onions seem like a lot for one recipe, even for me!

I'm going to call the Fresh Market near my house to see if they have fava, horse beans and/or ful.  Do you pronounce it like "fool"?  I don't want to make a "ful" of myself on the phone  :rolleyes:  DD#1, who has been shopping for me the past couple of years, said the market doesn't have the good bulk items like it used to, so I hope we can find them.

Best regards to everyone -- Love, Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hey Gwen...good morning!

(just got up for a snack and saw your email from yesterday)

You have me laughing....yes, i guess it is rather romantic how i met "The General"  We met on line at a marriage website.  We talked and chatted and talked and wrote and talked and finally decided to meet....we met and decided to "take a chance"...Thank God it looks like we made the right decision.  We're very happy and our personalities match extremely well...He's more laid back and calm and i'm more high strung and demanding.  He's retired and i work from home so we're together most of the day (although our sleeping hours are a little bit different).  We enjoy each other's company so much.  He's soooo sweet! and soooo handsome!! (yes...rather dark and dangerous looking ...and when we're in Egypt he always carries his pistol) - oohhhh mama! WOW!

(actually, i have been keeping notes and stories so i can string them together one day when i have less things on my "to do" list and write a book)

Yes..it's ful....say it like a mix between "fool" and "full" 

i do use alot of garlic because hubby loves it that way.  i always use dried horse beans...i saw them on television once fresh and they were very green and had a leathery casing which was removed.  i've never seen them that way...

good luck with it.  please let us know how they turn out and if you like them.

Yes...my life really HAS been exciting so far...i always say that if i died today, i've really had quite  a ride and that i want on my tombstone "Here lies Margo - she did alot of stuff"....

Thanks Gwen!
God bless!
margo
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

margo wrote:i always say that if i died today, i've really had quite  a ride and that i want on my tombstone "Here lies Margo - she did alot of stuff"....

LOL!!! I love it!  :laughing:
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Guess what??  Neil & I went to the supermarket Monday, and I actually found fresh fava beans still in their pods.  They were expensive, considering you throw away more than half of their weight, so I only bought enough for a small batch of ful.  Then I saw a rerun of the Anthony Boudain show where he went to Egypt.  It was neat seeing what the ful is actually supposed to look like, and how it is eaten.  (I'll pass on the flatbread, though!)

The Publix by our house had 3 kinds of fresh figs, black and bronze muscadine grapes, little tiny red turbana bananas, and peaches so fresh & juicy I felt like crying with gratitude.  *love*  All the fruit was really cheap, too.  I also bought three bunches of cilantro to make Israeli chickpeas.  YUM!

Thanks for sharing your story.  I'm staying tuned for more...

Best regards,
Gwen
ImageImage
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Gwen...are you eating figs?  i think figs was one of the things that also got me off track..i was eating them every day...a few a day...delicious and got my blood sugar up nicely and gave great energy....but the little seeds in there...i think we should go really carefully with the figs....i wouldn't put them back in my diet...i'm having a hard enough time weaning myself off of brown rice as it is....

and in Egypt they have the most wonderful breads...the flat breads are sort of stretchy...i guess it's the gluten?  It's wonderful...Egyptians MUST have bread....i often thought about LDL in Egypt and how it would go over...but i don't think an Egyptian really can give up bread...it's something so ingrained in the culture....bread means life to an Egyptian....

God bless!
margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote:        but i don't think an Egyptian really can give up bread...it's something so ingrained in the culture....bread means life to an Egyptian....

not only to egyptians, margo........let me tell you, my father even eats italian bread with chinese food...........and with a straight face after my brother and i come back from picking it up, asks me if i want some too..............i grew up with bread at dinnertime every night..........my father would have a FIT if my mother didn't have bread..........he could eat as much as a whole loaf of italian bread at one meal.........my father has ALWAYS been thin.....he took after his mother(the one who looks like granny from the beverly hillbillies and ate like a truck driver)......I, on the other hand, took after my mother's mother who probably had an underactive thyroid and didn't know it and was a BIG woman....DUH................
  the bean soups i make?......greek fasoulada?.....you're SUPPOSED to eat bread with them...BUT, who cares.............if we manage to get together for lunch, margo, we'll ask the greek waiter to nix the bread................ 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Yes, Margo, I bought some brown turkey figs and black mission figs, mostly for old times' sake.  We used to have a nice little fig tree when we bought the house years ago, but it got a rusty-looking disease and had to be removed.  I remember the LDL discussion about no dates, but I didn't remember about the figs.  No problem eliminating them.  They aren't very sweet, and as I said, they were mostly for nostalgia purposes, not because I really love them.  They were only a small proportion of the 30 pounds of total fruit I bought Monday.  I'll let you know if I suffer any adverse effects from the few I have already eaten.

Thanks for the heads up!

OH BTW -- SPEAKING OF FUL -- I hulled, parboiled & skinned my little package of fava beans in preparation for making ful.  I ended up with .............................

4.25 ounces of ready to cook beans!  Since I paid $4.22 for the package, it works out to a dollar an ounce, or $16 a pound.  THAT'S AN EXPENSIVE CUP OF FUL ! ! !  :laughing: :rolleyes: 

Love & PRAYERS to all,
Gwen
ImageImage
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Gwen,
      I found already skinned and dried  fava beans at bobs reds mill(i think thank thats the name) for a little more than 6 dollars a pound.
              Judie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Judie -- Is that a website?  I don't think we have any stores by that name around here.

Thanks for info!
ImageImage
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

YIPES!!!  16$ a pound???? :stop:  :sick: :thumbdown:  But Gwen, did you like them?  To me the smell of cooked ful is like a sour dish rag....Yuuuuuuchhhhkkkkkkkkkk

RT...You'll never get Egyptians to give up their kind of bread for something LDL acceptable...i'm almost sure of it!

i've been eating rice during Ramadan 'cause i need some comfort food...yesterday i had chili with kidney beans, 100% ground beef/green and red peppers/onions/garlic/herbs  over brown rice.  It was delicious.  I'll have the same thing tonight.  I had a salad with it.  During Ramadan, your stomach gets so small that you really can't fit much into it at one time....i did have some protein this morning...an egg along with my lentils....i couldn't eat much more than that...Can you believe i'm still working on the same pint of LCL icecream that i started the first day of Ramadan 11 days ago???  There's still a bit more....just don't have room in my tummy...but that will change in another two weeks and a bit when fasting stops....then i HOPE and PRAY i will be back on LDL the right way and lose my weight....  i can't really test that protein theory yet because i'm fasting...will do so, however,starting October 1!

Niki....sure...we'll have some of that bean soup and they can keep their bread!

God bless!
margo
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Margo, I had to laugh at myself for just blindly picking up the package without realizing what a small yield I would get from the fresh pods.  :teeth:  The good news is, it only cost me under $5 to sample an exotic new dish.  I keep coming back here to print your ful recipe, but I get distracted chatting.

I didn't really mind the smell of the cooked beans.  To me, all beans smell funky while they are cooking, but the end result is so YUMMY I don't mind.  I just turn on the vent hood and stand up TV trays around the perimeter of the stove to capture the cooking vapors (and heat) so the whole house won't heat up & smell funky.  But I CAN see what you mean about the fava.  They could be off-putting if your were sensitive to that kind of thing.

Going to print the recipe now!  Hope I can convert it to small enough quantities so the flavor of the finished dish resembles the real thing!

Thanks again -- bye now
Love, Gwen
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote:i've been eating rice during Ramadan 'cause i need some comfort food...yesterday i had chili with kidney beans, 100% ground beef/green and red peppers/onions/garlic/herbs  over brown rice.  It was delicious.  I'll have the same thing tonight.  I had a salad with it.  During Ramadan, your stomach gets so small that you really can't fit much into it at one time...

margo, all you have to do is instead of eating twice, eat three times a day.....you've been eating brown rice since you're only eating twice a day and it doesn't sound like you've been having a problem with cravings..........you continue to eat the way you're eating and you'll lose weight...eating this way 3 times a day, you won't be able to eat as much and you'll continue what you've started....AND i think you won't need to give up brown rice(by the way, out on li, i pay $3.29 for a pound...do you get it in queens any cheaper than that?)....
  and, i don't think you need to eat a lot of meat, chicken or fish as long as you're REALLY eating until you're full of everything else....and remember, JUST like you're at a wedding.......REALLY full............... 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
snowbirdie
Master Member

bobs red mill

Post by snowbirdie »

Gwen it is on line----bobsredmill.com
                      Judie
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Yeah Niki...

i do get really hungry around 3pm and then that feeling stays that way until it's time to eat....

sometimes i wish i could just remain eating like this (fasting) all the time, but we're instructed not to do so. In fact we are required to stop fasting immediately when Ramadan ends.  Then, if you'd like to fast some more, you can.  Many people fast one day each week or one day each month.  And some fast when they're asking our Lord for something extra super duper special. 

My plan is that when Ramadan ends, i will try to eat three times a day (but not at 5am like i'm doing now!! and not so late in the evening like 7:15 as i'm doing now)....and maybe two definite snacking times during the day.  I'm going to try to stop grazing and "topping off" at every chance.  I hope it will work.

i don't think i've lost any weight during Ramadan...usually, i do lose some....at the end of the month i'll check, but my clothes feel exactly the same -- tight....

and that's the price i pay (i think) for the rice except when i order it on line, then i pay for shipping...i need to order some more because the health food store (you know the one on Horace Harding Expressway near your dad's) is out of the only two kinds of Lundbergs i eat -- wehani and japonica...

Gwen...i'm waiting to see what you think of the ful...

Enjoy the day everyone...i'm not going to work today...going to play with my fabrics and finish two quilt tops that have been calling to me!

God bless...
margo
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Thanks Margo & Judie.  I liked the ful.  I tried it with and without each of the optional additions you mentioned, although it was such a small quantity, it was really only a couple of bites of each different flavor.  Ful has the same warm & comforting quality of thick split pea soup, or the pureed chickpea soup.  I will looking forward to making it again, hopefully in a larger quantity!  :laughing:

Thanks again!  Gwen
ImageImage