Popcorn porridge

Start your morning out right!
greenheron

Popcorn porridge

Post by greenheron »

First of all, I went a little crazy with my popcorn flour this afternoon.  I've tried popcorn flour pancakes once, but I wasn't fond of the little hull pieces.  So, searching for a coarse strainer at WalMart, I found a small screen sink strainer that sits in the mouth of a large jar.  I'd rather have a nice coarse sieve, but straining popcorn flour into a bowl might create blizzard conditions in my kitchen!  So, half cup by half cup, I strained out the hulls and larger pieces and got a nice fine flour I can live with.

So then I decided to experiment with something I've been thinking about for a while.  I thought we needed a nice hot breakfast dish now that we're heading into summer ;)

Popcorn Porridge

In a small saucepan, warm 1/2 cup low fat or skim milk until just barely simmering.  Add 1 cup popcorn flour and a dash of salt. (It's pretty bland without the salt.) If you're going to sweeten your cereal, go ahead and add a packet of Splenda or whatnot.  Then, stir to blend.  You'll probably want some flavor, so add whatever sounds good.  A splash of vanilla and a dash of cinnamon.  Mashed banana.  Applesauce.  Raisins or a snipped dried apricot.  (I'd probably put the dried fruit in with the milk so it softens a bit.) A drizzle of SF jam.  I plan to try some cocoa powder so I can have Coco Wheats :)  The cocoa will have to be "wet" first so it blends. 

I just tried a half-size serving of this as my experiment, and I don't think I'd want more than the above serving size.  It's good, but a little heavy in the mouth...maybe needs more liquid.  I tried it with cinnamon, which was pleasant.  I think you could do it in the microwave as soon as you've perfected your proportions.  If you try this and come up with any new versions/additions, please post them. :)
Last edited by greenheron on May 8th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LovinLDL

Re: Popcorn porridge

Post by LovinLDL »

Cool idea!...going to try this soon....have a number of hot cereal lovers in my family.

Blessings and Thanks,
Julie
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hmmmm in the Norwegian culture they have a very similar porridge. It is whole milk or cream with a certain amount of sugar and flour blended in and butter also it is cooked for some time and at the end little butter balls rise to surface and is collected in a small dish. When done everyone gets a bowl full. Then a little of the collected butter is given to each and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top.  No I know for sure this not an acceptable dish for LDL but One could substitute the popcorn porridge for it and I think it would be a great substitute. This is so good when it is a cold winter morning.    Perhaps I will try the LDL version for the family.
    Now don't any of you use the original version as it is not friendly. I just wanted to show the comparison.
              Judie
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

"Hmmmm in the Norwegian culture they have a very similar porridge"

Rommegrot...don't know where the umlauts are ;)  My maiden name is Hildahl...I'm 1/2 Norwegian...never ate rommegrot, although I do make lefse and rosettes and fruit soup on occasion :)
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

oh yes I have had the porridge and it is wonderful. It has been a very long time though. Where we live one can buy a package of dry mix to make rommegrot. I have never tried it as we always made it from scratch. I don't think I will make any with popcorn cause I don't want to start any bad cravings up. I have enough trouble with peanut butter.        Judie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

"Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue, Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn "Børk! Børk! Børk!"  :D

• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

You're pretty funny, Gwen.  :laughing:  I LOVE the Muppets, and the Swedish Chef was always one of our favorites (perhaps second only to Dr. Bunsen Honeydew!  And on a side note, my dad's name is Kermit!!)

But, he's a SWEDISH chef...and we're talking talking Norwegian, here.  You know what a Swede is, don't you? 

A Norwegian with his brains knocked out.  Or so I heard once as a child. ;)

Gwen, as I read your notes, I see references to things I can relate to....movies, humor...I think we'd get along pretty well, if you ever forgive me for giving Roger Troy a hard time ;)  But I'm still not ready to cook beans.  :blink:  Canned still works for me.  :)
Life4Now

Post by Life4Now »

I LOVED Miss Piggy!! She is classy :rose: and sassy (and *scyth* you don't mess with her man....Kermit!!!) You gal's are the Best.....*^_^*
If your doing 90%, why do you worry about the other 10%
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

LOL - Mary, I just love it when you pop in and clarify a confusing conversation! ! !  HA HA

There's nothing to forgive, Greenheron.  Everyone is free to speak their piece here, as long as they're nice about it, and stop when they've made their point.  This doesn't include me of course, with my inclination to rattle on endlessly about every conceivable topic, whether or not I know anything about it!

HA HA.  That said, I believe I'll shut up.  Okay.  I'm happy now.  Oh, BTW ...  (JK)

In the immortal words of the gangster to Bugs Bunny, "Shut up, shuttin' up."

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage