Hot...Blueberry Pie for Breakfast....

Start your morning out right!
turkkm
Master Member

Re: Hot...Blueberry Pie for Breakfast....

Post by turkkm »

Today for dinner, I had my smoothie first.  I was still hungry so I made LDL apple pie.  I used 1 banana, mashed well and 2 apples cored, peeled and sliced thin.  I placed it all in a big bowl (due to boiling up in microwave) and put in gobs of cinnamon and a little nutmeg too and 3 packs of splenda.  I microwaved a total of 6 minutes, stopping to stir every 2 minutes.  This was to die for, just like yummy apple pie filling!   ....and yes I was able to eat it all!  :tongue:  But, if it is too much for you, you could save 1/2 for later and just reheat it a few seconds or even try it cold.  Now, this was like dessert for me and satisfied the sweet tooth!  *evil*
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

That sounds yummie - We did similar for dessert tonight except used peaches that were a bit beyond their prime. Absolutely delicious. I'm going to try the apple pie next - perhaps tomorrow. My daughter will be spending the weekend with us and she loves dessert. 
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

I have made this twice now. The first time I made it was with peaches and this week I made it with the black cherries. Both of them were very delicious.

I liked them so well that I bought some peaches and cherries to put in the freezer for this winter when fruit is so expensive.

Made mine in a pie plate and it did fine. Can see making this regularly.

Martha
MandaM

Post by MandaM »

This recipe looks so amazing that I'm going on a nice long walk to the produce store to get some blueberries and bananas.  I need to go anyways, but now I have a nice sense of urgency!!  Thanks for the great post!! :thumbsup:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWatE89/]
[/url]
savannah

Post by savannah »

Hi Stephy....I think fresh would work just fine....but you might have to adjust the cooking time....just cook them until they look like pie filling....not too thick not too runny..... *love*
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

I have now made this several times using black cherries, strawberries and peaches........My favorite one is with the peaches...........I add just a little oatmeal to it and it is really good.....My next one is going to be with pineapple or apples...... I can see having this alot for breakfast this winter....

Cookie
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I love fruit pie and just had to try this.  I give you 6  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool: out of 5 for the best reciepe that I have made so far.  Yours will be hard to beat.  I look forward to my bananas turning brown now.  Just think we can eat pie and loose weight.  Thanks again.
sval59

Post by sval59 »

Snoopy - I feel the same way about this recipe from Savannah.  I wasn't even a blueberries fan until I started eating this!

Cheryl
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I think I need to buy some blueberries.  :tongue:
Hawaii Girl
New, but learning

Post by Hawaii Girl »

Oh Savannah this is heaven! YUMMMMMM!
Thank You,
Hawaii Girl
savannah

Post by savannah »

Thanks everyone....what a great "family" we have here...all so loving and supportive... *love*

I've tried making the Hot Blueberry Pie with other fruits....but I agree with all of you....you can't beat the flavor of the blueberries....and I find this really filling....I'm good for a at least 5-6 hours after eating it...without being hungary...
Sweetpea

Post by Sweetpea »

:thumbsup: LOVE IT!
If you meet me and forget me, you have lost nothing, but if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him, you have lost everything!

starlight0917
New, but learning

Post by starlight0917 »

I absolutely LOVE the pie recipes.  Savannah you are a genius!

The second time I tried the recipe I used banana and fresh cherries.  Nothing else.  It tasted soooo good I decided to make another bowl of "pie" for myself.  Well, by the time I finished off the second bowl, my stomach was so full and felt as though I had just eaten a very sweet and sugary "bad" dessert.  I learned my lesson that you CAN have too much of a good thing!

BTY...my favorite is peach also.
MandaM

Post by MandaM »

OK, I have anew idea, but I'm too afraid to try it without all of your opinions because it sounds gross...What if you kept the banana, and instead of adding a frozen fruit, you added in some pumpkin smoothie?  Do you think it would have a close resemblance to actual pumpkin pie filling?  I'm partly thinking ahead to Thanksgiving, but I also think it might be pretty good...or really bad.  What do you think?
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWatE89/]
[/url]
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

It sounds interesting.  I think you would need to add the correct spices for the pie.  I hope it works.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

It sounds good, Manda--not gross at all.  The banana thickens the fresh fruit "pie" so you don't need cornstarch or whatever -- but don't forget you can thicken pumpkin with eggs or Egg Beaters.  The banana might be a nice replacement for the milk normally called for in pumpkin pie recipes.  Veronica puts mashed bananas on top of her baked butternut squash to simulate the marshmallow topping on sweet potatoes.  There are several pumpkin ideas for Thanksgiving and Christmas already on the boards.  I don't know if any of them contain banana, but I think it would be wonderful.  Just go to the top of the recipe section and do a search for "pumpkin" or "pumpkin custard".  If you do an advanced search and add the screen name "marysimmons" you will find all her special pumpkin recipes.  She did some experimenting with all kinds of pumpkin and squash last fall.  YumYumYum!
Last edited by Gwennaford on August 21st, 2009, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
aalwysl8

Post by aalwysl8 »

I thought I read that we were not supposed to eat cherries. Am I wrong? I'd love to have some cherries! :-)
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

aalwysl8 wrote:I thought I read that we were not supposed to eat cherries. Am I wrong? I'd love to have some cherries! :-)
Maybe you're thinking of maraschino cherries.  They have high fructose corn syrup and are not what we eat on LDL.  The good news is fresh bing cherries and rainier cherries are absolutely something we can eat all we want........also frozen cherries.
Welcome aalwysl8 to Let's Do Lunch.  Glad you're here and asking questions and ready for some good good eating!
mrsj
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Reading about this wonderful dish. I had some frozen mixed berries but when I read Kathie's post about the apple pie it got DH's attention. We had several meely red delicious apples to use up an some almost ripe bananas. I used Kathie's recipe and DH and I shared the bowl, ate till we were full, and had leftover's for supper. I only added nutmeg and cinnamon. No sweetner needed. You are right it really keeps you satisfied. Bless you all!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Actually the banana pumpkin thing sounds good--maybe baked in ramikins or some other individual baking container.  I always left the pie crusts on my plate as a kid so this would be a winner for me.

RB Kayaking