Rhubarb Delight

Start your morning out right!
Deeh
New, but learning

Rhubarb Delight

Post by Deeh »

Yesterday I was looking for something new to make and I tried this so here it is I call it...
Rhubarb Delight
Combine the following in a saucepan and cook for 15-20 minutes until it cooks down to where you want it and then let it cool before you eat it. It is very good!
3 Cups of Rhubarb(add 1/2 cup opf water if using fresh, mine was frozen and had thawed)
2 Cups of Frozen Mixed Berries (strawberries, blackberries, blue berries and raspberries)
1/4 cup of splenda
greenheron

Re: Rhubarb Delight

Post by greenheron »

We always have frozen rhubarb in our grocery stores, along with all the other frozen fruits...berries, pineapple, peaches, etc.  I've got some in my freezer, but haven't been ambitious enough to cook up some rhubarb/strawberry sauce (emphasis on the rhubarb, please!!).  If you want a little more body in your finished product, throw in a small spoonful of sugar-free strawberry Jello powder.  If your sauce needs just a "little" something, don't be afraid to add a tiny pinch of salt or a smidge of vanilla to help round out the flavors. 
savannah

Post by savannah »

Thanks Deeh for the wonderful recipe.....I have lots of rhubarb growing and didn't know  what to  do with it and this recipe sounds great!
Sweet_Pea

Post by Sweet_Pea »

The rhubarb fixed as listed above and added to sugar free strawberry jello is wonderful also.  It makes a great treat.

Carrole
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

I'm sorry to be a killjoy, but the sweetener in sugar-free jello is Aspertame (a known carcinogenic).  Aspertame also contributes to or causes a whole multitude of physical and mental medical problems!  I think of Aspertame as pure poison and I don't want to ingest even the tiniest bit of it.  However, I do enjoy a gelled salad on occasion...I picked up 2 boxes of sugar-free Jello the other day to make an Orange Glow Salad...didn't read the label until I got home.  I was so upset to see Aspertame as a listed ingredient...they should also add a skull & crossbones!  Anyway, I saved my receipt and returned the jello to the store.  I was grousing because I had really wanted to make that salad, when my mother reminded me about Knox Gelatin...unflavored, unsweetened gelatin.  You add your own flavors and sweeteners.  Now, I'm on a quest to find Knox Gelatin. 

Healthy Eating!
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

Cindi

Post by Cindi »

Thank you for the recipe! I know I'm going to like this because I love rhubarb. Good fruit is getting harder to find now that fall is here so I guess it's time to go to frozen fruit. Everything I've been getting in the store looks good on the outside but is rotten, brown and mushy inside.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8ZhJmH/]
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I have never eaten rhubarb in my entire life.  I guess it is on my to do list. 
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hey Crickadoodle!

Rhubarb is usually a love-it or hate-it kind of food. I used to eat it raw by the stalk when I was a kid, so I love it. My hubby hates it. So anyone with something rhubarb-y -- can y'all send me a care package?? I never cook it cause I'd have to eat it all!  :shock:

O2, thanks for the reminder about the aspartame in sugar free jello! I sometimes pause by the jello when doing my shopping -- just considering it for the occasional treat, but I almost always pass it by, because a good friend of ours almost did himself in with aspartame -- physical toxicity, mental and emotional problems, a whole slew of symptoms! Wow! Good idea with the Knox gelatin. You should be able to find it somewhere in the baking section of your grocery store. It could be added to sugar free Kool Aid -- or any fruit juice -- and sweetened with stevia. Sounds like an adventure waiting to happen.

Take care,
Terri
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

I do have Rhubarb in my freezer! This is a great idea! And I love Rhubarb!  *love* I get such a craving for it at times! Has anyone tried it with Stevia only as a sweetener? Some bitter things do not do well with Stevia though. Like Coffee and Stevia usually isn't liked but now I do a mix of Splenda and Stevia. (I would rather not do splenda at all though.) Stevia is great with Yogurt but I am eating almost no yogurt these days.
Thanks for sharing this Deeh!
Last edited by Bethann on October 20th, 2010, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I love Rhubarb and I have for years cooked it and added some Raspberry sf jello thinking how much better it was for me then adding real sugar.  It is good to know how bad itactually is.  I have alot of it in my cupboard but I haven't made it for along time.  Is the vanilla pudding mix made with the same type of sf sugar? 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Oh my,
My mother could make the best "To Die For" rheubarb pie. Surprising how even as little kids we loved that tart pie. This recipe sounds wonderful. Maybe a can of pineapple would naturally sweeten it enough so not to have to use any splenda. I am going to dig through some of Mom's recipes and see if I can find it. Wondering what else she cooked with it that maybe I could add to this recipe and still be LDL legal.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

That's a great idea.....a can of pineapple! Lately I have been adding Rhubarb to my smoothies and that works!  :)
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I have never eaten it either... I saw a bag of it yesterday in the freezer section of the grocery.  I almost bought,,, but decided not too this time. 

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
kp129766

Post by kp129766 »

Aspartame is NOT cancer causing in humans. Refer to the following web site if you have questions, published and maintained by the National Cancer Institute.

While I can certainly appreciate a sane level of caution when putting things into your body, false information regarding aspartame has been running rampant, and it is simply not true. So enjoy your Sugar-Free Jello - I promise, the aspartame in it will not kill you.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... /aspartame
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

listen, i went over the website that you linked to to see what it had to say....it isn't only cancer causing issues that are questionable but other neuro symptoms that are involved in regards to aspartame.....as far as i'm concerned, the only thing that is sweet to the palate that is acceptable is stevia and even that requires caution because a lot of the stevia on the market seems to be cut with maltodextrins and other hidden sugars....ACTUALLY, sugar itself?....cancer cells LOVE sugar................THAT'S something i never learned in nursing school....
the question of artificial sweeteners has been brought up MANY times on these boards...for that one website that you happened to find, there are dozens of others with the exact opposite viewpoint....i, personally, don't care for the taste and use it occasionally only...........i think there's enough info against it to make everyone think twice before using it...
BUT, let everyone here make their own choices as this does not affect their success on let's do lunch but affects their overall health.....
if you feel that aspartame is fine for you, go right ahead and use it..
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Rhubarb Delight sounds wonderful.  I have enjoyed rhubarb cooked with only fresh strawberries, and splendor.  Sooo good.  My neighbor raises rhubarb, but is not the red. I looked  at a seed catalogue, may have to order some plants.  I really want some.  Mom had a patch of rhubarb and a patch of horseradish, a patch of mint,  asparagus and garlic.  I think they came up every year.  She may have planted garlic every year.  We would have fresh peas, fresh lettuce, radishes, and green onions in the garden in May.  I miss not having a big garden.  We have the room, but would have to put fence around the spot, because the deer would eat it.  *hug* Joyful Friend
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I was miserable, sick, 100% disabled and in excruciating pain to the point I didn't want to live before the Lord led me to Let's Do Lunch.  I was a veteran Weight Watcher who lived on low fat artificially sweetened, chemically enhanced processed food products because I could eat more for less calories. 

After ridding my body of all the chemicals, additives, artificial ingredients, and other garbage found in processed foods, I recovered my health and I feel good again.  I am off all but one of my arthritis prescriptions and I now go for days without taking pain meds.

For people like me who are incapable of moderation, if a "little" is good, then a "LOT" is better, but NONE is best.  :)
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Gwen, that's what I did.  I ate cookies, candy, and puddings made with it.  Then in 02 when my hubby had a 5 way bypass, I started healthy cooking and eating.  I started with evoo, whole wheats, nd quit equal and anything in it.    I felt so much better, but couldn't lose.  Then Splenda came along.  I use it sparingly.  I also use stevia.  With such sweet fruits, I don't need the sweeteners.  I'm glad you are off most of your medicine.  I'm so grateful for LDL.  I just came from the gym.  Two friends were there who had not seen me for a while.  They wanted to know what I had done.  Both will probably google and come on line.  I told them how wonderful it has been.  I just want to tell the world about it.  *hug* Joyful Friend
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

i've never eaten rhubarb either.  my husband loves strawberry rhubarb pie...i should make this.  thanks for the idea.