Breakfast questions from a carb craving newbie

Start your morning out right!
galaxygal

Breakfast questions from a carb craving newbie

Post by galaxygal »

Hi Everyone!
This is my first day on LDL and I am very excited!  Here is my question:  I have always craved carbs, rarely ever crave sweets.  For breakfast can I eat all carbs or do I need to eat fruit also.  I know it says to eat fruit for breakfast but I thought if I wanted to eat away to get rid of carb craving if I should wait on the fruits for breakfast and eat carbs instead or should I eat alot of carbs with a little fruit?  I love corn on the cob!  This morning I ate a bowl of fruit (pineapple, honeydew, grapes, 1/2 banana) and added in a little bit of northern beans.  I then did not feel satisfied so I ate a boiled egg.  I was not hungry so I stopped eating but I was still wanting carbs.  I appreciate any advice! 
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: Breakfast questions from a carb craving newbie

Post by crickadoodle »

Hey, gg -- welcome to LDL.  You are just getting started and it is ok to eat until you are full, so do.

As far as eating carbs -- fruit is carbs, one type of carbs, corn is a type of carbs too, veggies are carbs too.  The idea of LDL is to eat as much fruit as you can for breakfast, and if that doesn't satisfy, you can eat beans or corn and I'd do the egg last, if I still couldn't get satisfied.  Personally (after over 4 months), the fruit does satisfy me.  One thing I've seen Roger suggest is hold off eating breakfast until about 10 AM and then you might find you can make it fine to lunch.

Then for lunch eat lean meats, veggies and beans or bean soups.  Eat until full.  Dinner originally was to eat as much fruit as you could and if not satisfied, eat popcorn, beans and veggies.  You want to stay away from complete protein at night (meat -- beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc.)
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Galaxy Gal!

While you are getting started and kicking the cravings, by all means, eat corn and beans and peas with your breakfast! Also eat the fruit, as fruit is carbs, like Crick said. But if it is bread carbs you crave, then having as much corn or peas as you can possibly hold will satisfy the craving and get you past it quicker. Personally, I also love mashed butter beans in place of anything bread!

If you are hungry, EAT! Even if the amount you are consuming seems ridiculous! Once your body chemistry is balanced, your body will tell you to not eat so much. If you try it the other way, telling your body that you've eaten enough and it's time to stop, you won't ever quite get past craving those things.

Honest, it's true! Trust the plan, and don't try to step too quickly into the main weight-loss mode without spending the time you need in craving-busting mode.

You'll do great! I've been on LDL since mid-May, and I still love this plan!

Terri
galaxygal

Post by galaxygal »

Thanks so much Crickadoodle and Teri!  I ate a lot of corn on the cob yesterday!  It was so sweet that after the first ear I didn't add any spray or salt!  Today I am scheduled to go to lunch at a mexican restaurant with a friend.  I went to their website and found a low fat, low carb solution (grilled chicken breast with pico de gallo and steamed veggies)!  That is a big step for me!  I even went to a bunco party last night, ate before I went and wasn't tempted to eat the meal.  I must admit the dessert there was hard to pass up but I did it!  I did mess up once yesterday, I ate two pieces of melba toast with reduced fat feta cheese.  This was after I got home from the party and was really needing carbs-------should have made the new lentil munchies recipe that I just posted!  It would have been a much better option!
Thanks Again!
Jan (galaxygal)
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

You did great passing up that dessert!  The melba toast is not LDL friendly, but I think you realized that.  Again, fruit is a carb and the best choice at night, I feel.  Also, beans would be a great choice when desiring carbs.  Grains are not a good choice -- not enough protein to balance the carbs.  You are going to do it!
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Shirl.

We're neighbors -- you in Montana, and I am in north Idaho. It's cooooold here! (I sure do feel the cold more with 35 lbs less insulation on me! My hubby thinks that's very funny!)

For the mashed butter beans, I don't generally need to add any liquid to make them the right texture. You can add water, chicken broth, or water from any cooked veggie, if you feel you need to for the texture you want. I do like the texture best if I use beans I cook myself, cooked until they are actually a bit overcooked and starting to break apart, and the pot is almost going dry. But butter beans from the can work pretty well, too.

By all means, experiment with adding things for flavor, though! Roasted garlic is great, or add chives or chopped green onions like you might to potatoes, or caramelized onions, or chopped cooked spinach........ the list could be endless. Any seasoning that sounds interesting.

Now I'm making myself hungry, and it's not lunchtime yet!

Enjoy!
Terri
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I have lived Montana for the last 25 years also.  I am from the Coeurd'alene area and that is where all my family is still.  My youngest boy just left this year to attend college there and be closer to his older brother.  It is really cold here and we still have the snow from 2 days ago since it has been to cold to melt.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Well Howdy, Neighbor!

I live on the St Joe River on the south end of CDA Lake. My hubby and I end up in Hamilton sometimes during the summer. We LOVE the ride up the Clearwater and over Lolo Pass. When we can get away for a weekend, we camp at the hot springs, and go on into Hamilton to refuel and find breakfast. Gorgeous country!

Terri
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

We love it here in Hamilton, we have lived her for 16 years.  I noticed your last name is Prouty do you have relatives in the Idaho area?  We also have Prouty's that are relatives in the Spokane area.  I called my mom to ask her who exactly they were and found they were aunts and uncles.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

My hubby and his brother both moved to the NW (Washington and Idaho) from the Bay Area 20+ years ago, where their cousins still live. There are a few other Proutys around here -- we've met a family in Spokane -- though we're not related as far as we can tell. Maybe they're your relatives...

My hubby's father was kind of the black sheep, and didn't talk about (or to) relatives much.......
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Galacygal,  WELCOME to the boards.  Maybe you should order cornthins from amazon.com.  $33 for 12 sleeves, well worth it.  Free shipping this week.  They are ff and great with a little sugar free jam.  They make great little pizzas.  Put ff pizza sauce, no sugar in it, then mushrooms, hot peppers,  ff cheese, ( whatever you like) then micro until cheese is melted.  Eat with a fork, but sooo good.  Another suggestion is the fruit pie for breakfast.  Take a banana, put a half cup of frozen berries over it, add a pk or two of stevia, a little cinnamon.  Put in a large bowl because it becomes bubbly. Cook in micro for 4-5 minutes.  It is  so delicious that it tastes sinful *evil*.  I have had great success on this WOE (way of eating), and I want you to have it.  Montana and Idaho are beautiful states, but sound cold right now.  We love to travel there in the summer.    Terri- 45 lbs.  WOW!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Joyful Friend