Banzo Home Fries

Start your morning out right!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Banzo Home Fries

Post by VickiLynn »

For those of you missing home fries for breakfast (or any time of the day), this recipe was posted on Gwennaford’s journal yesterday.  I have her blessing to add it to this board and am doing so verbatim, including her comments starting with "I've had them three times..." after the ingredients.

TASTE JUST LIKE POTATO HOME FRIES! ! !

WELL-DRAINED & SEASONED GARBANZOS, TOASTED IN A SINGLE LAYER UNTIL GOLDEN & NUTTY IN A MEDIUM-HOT SKILLET WITH A PAT OF WILLOW RUN SOY MARGARINE AND SOME DICED ONIONS

I've had them three times and the only mistake I made was once getting some of the starchy cooking liquid into the skillet because it scorched very quickly.  If you just keep shaking the skillet to toast the drained beans they get all nutty and delicious.  And the BEST part (aside from the wonderful taste) is that the 'banzos don't absorb the butter like potatoes do. I cooked them in a non-stick skillet and lifted them out with a spatula instead of pouring them onto the plate.   It looked to me like the same amount of butter I started with was left in the pan.
Last edited by VickiLynn on March 14th, 2010, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: Banzo Home Fries

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I made these GARBANZOS beans last night.  I didn't even season them with anything except the onions.  I didn't quite cook them long enough to get browned because my onions were starting to get too done. But even so they were just as Gwen said, they tasted like home fries.  You have to use your imagination abit to be eating these little round things with the taste of home fries.  Can't wait to make them again, we ate them with a couple eggs on top.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

These sound great! 

Since the chick peas are so bland they will take on the flavor of whatever seasonings you choose to add.  I always cook them in a skillet on the stove top so I can keep an eye on the browning.  I love them with evoo, garlic powder and smoky paprika. I sprinkle some lemon for freshness and eat them like a snack or use them to top my salad. I like the cold salad with the warm chick peas.  The smoky paprika really lends a nice flavor.

You can make a sweeter version with cinnamon and some stevia and whatever else you would like; maybe some nutmeg. I like mine better savory though.

Julie :rose:
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  These ARE GREAT!  YUMMMM!  Had them this morning.... I cooked them in EVCO and a little salt...
Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Julie
When I was last at Costco I saw the Smoky Paprika and almost bought it but couldn't decide what it would taste good in.  What other things do you use it for besides your garbanzo beans?  Does it have a strong flavor or mild?
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

It's pretty mild, Wendy. I use it on Tilapia sometimes or in butter beans when I make some pancakes out of them. To me, it sorta gives a southwest flavor. I think is it great for flavoring things that are mild bc it just enhances rather than fight the flavor of the food. Garlic pairs well with it and a squeeze of lemon, if you like it, also goes well. I was excited when I saw it. :thumbsup:

Julie :rose:
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

wendysgoodnews wrote:Julie
When I was last at Costco I saw the Smoky Paprika and almost bought it but couldn't decide what it would taste good in.  What other things do you use it for besides your garbanzo beans?  Does it have a strong flavor or mild?

Wendy, paprika is actually a mild chili powder that is made from ground sweet red peppers. The smoked version is usually imported from Spain and has a smoky taste. That's why I agree with Julie, it gives dishes a southwestern flavor. Most of the southwestern dishes originated with our native Indians and then had a lot of influence by the Spaniards that visited the New World. I like both, the sweet and the smoked. It just depends on what I'm cooking at the time.

CQ
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Thank you it sounds good.  I will have to pick some up when I get back to Costco.  I had no idea it was mild chili powder, I have always used it on blessed eggs.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I'm glad you mentioned the smoked paprika.  It is not spicy at all, just tastes of smoke and gives a nice rich red color to the food.  It doesn't add any bitterness like liquid smoke can sometimes do, so you can add as much as you want for a stronger smoke flavor. 

I'm on my second big jar since I found it.  I use it to make giant jars of Emeril's Creole Seasoning

Smoked Paprika is fantastic paired with McCormick brand Smokehouse Ground Black Pepper any time I want to give a dish an authentic smokehouse flavor that will actually make you believe it came directly from one of those fat-laden BBQ joint menus.  One of my fave dishes made with it is Smoked Vegetable Soup.  Sounds weird, but even pure vegetarian, it gives me the feeling I'm eating something meaty out of the smoker.  Added to LDL Baked Beans or scrambled eggs, you won't believe they aren't made without smokehouse bacon.  I'm going to add it to my next batch of  LDL Breakfast Sausage. 

I use garbanzos dozens of ways for snacks, main dishes and desserts.  But as home fries, they taste best (to me) with only the seasonings I mentioned to give them the flavor that will make me believe I'm actually eating 'taters! 

You are right about the shape, Wendy.  My brain KNEW I was eating garbanzos, but the FLAVOR in my mouth kept making me do double takes at my plate to make sure I hadn't dipped into someone else's breakfast!  I thought about squashing them a little bit to more resemble potato slices, but I figured they would absorb a lot of oil that way. 
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
rgfd401

Post by rgfd401 »

I'm all about anything that resembles a potato Gwennaford.  :drool: I,m sure i will be trying these in the next few days. Thanks for the info.

Tim
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

YAY!  That makes me so happy!  It was one of those Divinely inspired happy "accidents" that turned out great.  All I knew is that I was never going to be satisfied with just fruit & eggs while everyone else was porking down the bacon, eggs, biscuits and sausage gravy.  So I wiped out the skillet & threw in some cold banzos I had in the fridge.  I cook them three pounds at a time & leave them bland so I can use them a variety of ways, so they were crying for flavor.  I reached for the standby breakfast seasonings, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Hope you like them, Tim.  

P.S. -- Try to find the Willow Run Soy Margarine, but use it sparingly.  It is a full-fat product, not a diet food.  It adds a salty, nutty flavor that you won't believe!
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 6th, 2010, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Just out of curiosity. Have you tried smashing them up with the onions and seasonings and cooking them like hash browns?

CQ
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Gwennaford wrote:
You are right about the shape, Wendy.  My brain KNEW I was eating garbanzos, but the FLAVOR in my mouth kept making me do double takes at my plate to make sure I hadn't dipped into someone else's breakfast!  I thought about squashing them a little bit to more resemble potato slices, but I figured they would absorb a lot of oil that way.  

I thought about it but decided against it.  Left intact, I don't believe they absorbed any of the margarine.
ImageImage
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I guess it's time for another eye exam.... :laughing:

CQ
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

re:  I guess it's time for another eye exam.... CQ

SPEAKING OF WHICH... I emailed NEEDWIFE yesterday at the address on his profile because I wanted to join his 200+ lb thread and he promised to reply to all posts.  it has been too long since he posted.

Please, everyone, send him some encouragement. 
ImageImage
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I, too, was wondering about him. He hasn't been on the boards for a while. I need some one to keep telling me that I'm too fat for a bikini just yet...I need the duct tape like Jason Alexander.. :laughing:

Seriously, I hope he's OK.

CQ
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I'm hoping everyone will email and PM him until he comes back just to get us to shut up!
ImageImage
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I posted on his journal but haven't heard a peep yet.  I will pm him also. 
nanlaw
New, but learning

Post by nanlaw »

Can you use the I can't belive its not butter spray with this?
Hair Guru