Banzo Home Fries

Start your morning out right!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: Banzo Home Fries

Post by Gwennaford »

Nan, I use ICBINB on cooked corn and popcorn, but I haven't tried cooking with it because the Willow Run gave such excellent nutty flavor to the home fries.  My first instinct is since it doesn't contain much fat, that it might get sticky and scorch before the chickpeas are nicely toasted.  I would think you could toast them over medium heat in a dry nonstick skillet and add the ICBINB spray with the onion and garlic powder a minute or so before they're done. 

Why don't you try it and let us know how they turned out?  In the meantime, please look for the Willow Run Soy Margarine in stores.  It comes in four sticks like old fashioned margarine.  I found mine on the top shelf in the corner of the dairy section with the specialty & organic foods.

Do you ever watch the TV show, "RUBY" on the Style Network?  In her thanksgiving show they showed her buying 3 or 4 bottles of ICBINB spray and pouring it by the measuring cupful into what she was cooking.  :stop:  I don't think that's how it is meant to be used! 

FINALLY  :rolleyes:  Save the empty bottles and reuse them for olive oil sprayers.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Save the empty bottles and reuse them for olive oil sprayers.
[/quote]

What a great idea Gwen!  Thanks for posting this.....
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Don't really want to eat margarine, but I bought the ICBIB spray just for the spray. We used it on popcorn and then put EVOO in it. Might try EVCO this summer when it stays liquid with the warm weather.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

LINDA RN wrote: I bought the ICBIB spray just for the spray. We used it on popcorn and then put EVOO in it. Might try EVCO this summer when it stays liquid with the warm weather.

honestly, i wouldn't waste evco doing that....olive oil is at it's best when not heated so it's GREAT to put it on popcorn....i would use the evco when cooking..THAT is it's biggest advantage...i mean, price wise, i can get a tin of olive oil for under $10 and a jar of extra virgin coconut oil for $20...extra virgin olive oil is a lot cheaper than extra virgin coconut oil...
this way, you also reap the advantages of both..
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Niki,

I agree. Coconut oil is much more expensive than olive oil so I'd only use it for cooking and save the olive oil for popcorn.

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Right now I have learned to eat air-popped popcorn without any oils but thought I would like to squirt a little EVCO on it for the flavor.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

nanlaw
New, but learning

Post by nanlaw »

Well breakfast is where I thought I would have a problem but these have made me happy. I do drain them and then rinse them though to make sure all the starch water is off. They are beyond good and I really do not miss home fries anymore. Of course my husband will think I am a nut when I try to feed them to him.lol.
Hair Guru
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Nan, just ask him to reserve judgement until he tastes them!  Be sure to "doctor" them up just like you used to do with breakfast potatoes.  I know he will love them.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I have a big day tomorrow, so I finally plan to have Banzo home fries and scrambled eggs before leaving.  Hope I like them.  *hug*  Joyful Friend
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Joyful Friend, Did you like the banzo home fries?

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I did the scrambled eggs and used Jicama.  When I read that you had posted, I looked to see your response.  I still plan to make them.  They sound good.  I have some in the cupboard.  Ollie, I enjoyed the newspaper's spread on the Hero's breakfast.  I heard you looked beautiful.  *love* and  *hug*  JF
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Thanks, JF!! Had a lot of people asking if I was doing that thing that you're doing.  :D It was the pictures of me from last year's Heroes breakfast that made me realize how much weight I had gained and made me start thinking about losing.

Take care,
Ollie

PS. Did you get a bike yet? I'm ready to ride with you.
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Vickilynn, I tried the bonzo fries today for lunch with LDL burgers and they were wonderful! :thumbsup: I sauteed them in evoo with garlic and onions and  topped them off with fresh ground pepper. Yum! Tomorrow I may do something potato- like with a jicama or saute some turnips for breakfast.  

I love our wonderful LDL faux 'taters! :D

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
JEM

Post by JEM »

Just came across this recipe and wanted to know if I need to mash the garbanzo beans or leave them whole when frying?  This sounds awesome and something I will totally make for myself.  Thanks.
Never let 'em see you sweat!
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Jem! Welcome to Let's Do Lunch!

I love these Banzo home fries for Sunday morning breakfast. I still make hashbrowns for my hubby, but I fix the banzo fries for me. I usually just rough chop them a bit so I'm not chasing little round things around my plate!  :tongue: By leaving them chunky, they are more like hashbrowns. Mixed with onion and garlic and some chopped sweet red pepper, I don't miss the potato hashbrowns at all -- in fact, I prefer the banzo fries. Yay! I sometimes mix rough chopped pinto beans with the garbanzos. They are a little more moist than the garbanzos, and the texture is very nice. Any bean would work, I think!

Enjoy!  ;)
Terri
lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

I didn't have any garbanzo beans in the cupboard so I tried it with butter beans.  I used a little smart balance , mashed them up just a bit so they looked like chunks of potatoes  (real homefries), added onion and some pepper.  It was absolutely delicious and I cannot believe how the texture and taste was so much like potatoes.  The only thing I had a problem with were the beans kind of exploded a bit..I just had to watch out for low flying objects..lol  I may have had it too hot to start.  I think any beans would work and I will definitely keep that in mind.  My SO liked them, but it will probably take awhile for him to admit they are as good as the real thing.  I just love all the ideas you all keep giving me. 

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Lisa,
Where is SO from? If he is from the south and likes his potato salad with mashed potatoes, mash the drained Butter Beans with some steamed cauliflower in a processor or blender. He will never know it is not mashed potatoes. Then add all the condiments that you would in regular potatoe salad. Sooo good! You can also just serve these faux mashed potatoes hot by adding a little chicken broth to flavor and smooth them out.
Linda

SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

For "mashed potatoes" I combined an equal quantity of mashed (drained and rinsed) canned white beans, butter beans and white hominy. Also whipped in some parmesan and icbinb. Very good! :drool:

I know that hominy is not supposed to be allowed, but I ate it all the time and lost weight.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Yummmmm, Sweet Rose, I can see how the hominy would be similar taste and consistency as the cauliflower. A little more convenient also when pressed for time.
Linda

lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

Linda, my SO is from the south as a matter of fact.  Lubbuck, TX.  I definitely will be trying those mashed potatoes next time he comes in town.  Thanks for the tips too, SweetRose.  There just isn't enough time in the day to try everything I want to try.  I always have lots of bean/veggie soup in the fridge.  We probably make 2 or 3 batches a week.  I need to branch out more I think..lol.

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone