Flaxseed Bread

Start your morning out right!
waquin

Flaxseed Bread

Post by waquin »

Would Flaxseed bread be acceptable for LDL?
See recipe and nutritional info below:

Focaccia -Style Flax Bread

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutesIngredients:
•2 cups flax seed meal
•1 Tablespoon baking powder
•1 teaspoon salt
•1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
•5 beaten eggs
•1/2 cup water
•1/3 cup oil
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

It is "rough" in texture like heavy whole grain breads. Since it isn't made with wheat, it doesn't have the same kind of grain as wheat breads, but the carb in flax is almost all fiber. Flax is very useful on a low carb diet, as well as being amazingly good for you.

Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.

Thanks and God bless :rolleyes:
This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice in it and be glad.
Psalm 118:24
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: Flaxseed Bread

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm thinking this will be a "no" because we stay away from nuts and seeds.  I'm below goal and would maybe be willing to test it out, but not this month.  I'm doing a class and don't want to risk gaining.  Have you eaten it before and do you think it really takes the place of bread?  You feel satisfied eating it?  Sounds interesting.
waquin

Post by waquin »

Yes, it's delicious and so filling, you don't want regular bread.
I thought it might be acceptable because of the high fiber content, which cancels out most of the carbs.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

This actually isn't a low carb diet.  It is an eat all you want until you are full LIVEt!  :D  Sounds like you might have done Atkins in the past?  We eat so much fruit, that I'm sure our carbs are way over the top.  It is such a wonderful way to eat, though.  You look younger and feel younger and lose the weight without feeling deprived.  I've been below my goal for over 6 months and still can't believe how easy it was to get here.  Nothing else was working, but you really don't need will power to stay on this.  The cravings go away and you love the food. 
waquin

Post by waquin »

What is acceptable besides corn thins? Is Wasa Crispbread acceptable?
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

waquin,

When I first started LDL I was determined to continue eating bread even though it was considered a "No, No" in RT's book. I ate flaxseed and sprouted breads. They didn't cause me to gain weight but they didn't allow me to lose, either.

I think once you have lost all the weight you want to lose then you may want to try eating a slice or two every now and then to see how you do.

Good Luck!

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on August 7th, 2010, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

One type of Wasa was OK -- the rye.  I remember seeing that in the book.

I'm thinking the flaxseed would be high in fats.  It's probably one of those things like RT says, "Healthy foods and healthy foods that cause you to lose weight are two different things."
waquin

Post by waquin »

I want to thank Crickadoodle and Coding Queen for their replies to my question about flaxseed.
I really do appreciate it.
Thanks again and God bless you two sweet things!
*love*
waquin

Post by waquin »

Thank you Roger for your informational reply.
yourdish

Post by yourdish »

Thank you, thank you for contributing this recipe.  I plan to mail it to someone who eats wheat free and loves this kind of thing. She will love it.

I appreciate you, whether or not this is actually kosher for us now.

Yourdish
Happiness is frozen grapes and warm friends!

Give in to your bean cravings!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyfSlc2/
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

The key to this recipe is the first ingredient....Flaxseed MEAL. Grinding anything to a meal does "process" it to our bodies and decreases the time it goes straight to the blood. It can increase the appetite. But the great thing is that if it is good for you in moderation and actually causes you to eat less, then it is good for you. Everyone has to monitor their own body's response to "healthy choices" we want to add to the LDL WOE.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Personally I am not doing any "breads" or substituting flour right now.
Eating healthy breads last year over the holidays kept me from loosing.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Waquin, thanks for the recipe.  I am going to make it.  In fact I bought a box of flaxseed meal before I left for Williamsburg.  I put some in a bag, so I could add it to the pkg oatmeal and raisins that I was taking on my trip to use for breakfast--I am at goal.  I have a friend who lost 44# on LDL and another one who has lost 24#.  Both are at goal and love LDL.  We compare notes on what can be eaten without getting our cravings raving and will not make us gain.  Roger, I think you should put a chapter in your next book on maintenance.  My friend who lost the 44# is a dietitian. Both have used these without consequences.  I didn't use the flax meal, nor the oatmeal, because the breakfast bar was LDL friendly--many fresh fruits and eggs.  Almost every morning, I had friends suggesting that I might like the juices from the juice machines.  I always answered that I preferred the fresh oranges, plums, and bananas.  There was also a bowl of melons and pineapple, so I indulged.  I had a yogurt as well.  Our evening meals were also provided.  I ate like a queen--made LDL choices, and came home the same weight.  Our last provided meal was at the Old Tavern right below Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home.  You would have thought they fixed me a LDL meal.  On the buffet, coarse coleslaw, pickled sm beets, green beans, blackeye peas, creamed tomatoes, oven baked chicken, peach cobbler, corn bread, and biscuits. I only tasted the cream tomatoes, and had two big peach slices from the cobbler. I also tasted the corn bread.  All three things were sickening sweet. I had no desire for more, and the taste did not start cravings.  I love LDL eating.  :thumbsup: JF