Kale Snack

Let us pray for you!
JerrieH

Kale Snack

Post by JerrieH »

Has anyone tried kale as a snack? It makes a good snack in front of the television if you want something salty. I used to bake it and it turns out kinda crunchy (but you have to really watch it or it will burn), but when they get to the amount of crispness like a chip, they are almost like air and don't seem like much of a snack as they bake down to nothing. But now, instead of baking them, I just buy a big bag at Walmart, and in the evening when watching tv with my hubby, I go get big bowl (so it is easier to blend the olive oil and salt) and put two or three big handfuls of cut up kale (the big bag I buy at Walmart is already cut, which is handy) and then I sprinkle a little bit of olive oil and a little bit of sea salt on the whole thing and then blend it up. It is much more filling like this and makes for nice snack.

Also, they started a weight loss thing at work, where everyone chipped in $5 last Friday, and everyone is to weigh in every Friday for six weeks. Those who stay the same weight or gain weight, have to chip in another $1, but those who lose weight don't. At the end of the six weeks, whom ever loses the most weight (by percentage), gets all the money collected. I had my first weigh-in today and lost three pounds. Woohoo! :)
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Kale Snack

Post by MsHeirloom »

Sometimes an incentive like that can do wonders for our determination! Sounds as though you are off to a great start. I need to try Kale. I have only had it cut up in soup.
Good luck. Hope you win; you'll need it for a new wardrobe! That's fun, too!
Pam
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

WAY TO GO :ymapplause:
I love my Kale salad, shredded Kale, grated carrots. 2 apples with a small dice. 1 c.raisins, Mayo with 1/2 c. crushed pineapple and some juice. The longer it sets, the better it tastes and Kale never wilts.
I take the left over pineapple and put it in a ziplock bag, freeze it for smoothies or more Kale salad. So healthy for you. I have to try the chips.
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Pam and Omalani. Omalani your kale salad recipe sounds good. I will have to give that recipe a try.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Jerrie!

Ooh, thanks for the kale idea. I love kale (and other greens). I buy the big bag of kale at Costco and put about 2/3 of it in individual baggies in the freezer. I hadn't thought of just digging in and using it as a snack. Would be a nice alternative for popcorn sometimes. I haven't tried making the chips with it either -- like you said, it would cook down to about nothing. And I have this habit of getting sidetracked with I put something like this in the oven -- I usually end up with the smoke alarm going off! :-o

I think I'll give it a try straight up with a little oil and salt. Thanks for the idea.

Terri
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

You are welcome Terri. Another thing I like about kale is that it seems to last in the refrigerator forever without wilting. When I buy bagged lettuce it seem to wilt so fast in the fridge, but not my big bag of kale. :)

Jerrie
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

I just recently tried cooked kale for the first time and loved it. I was really surprised by this because I don't like greens except spinach. I was told by my moms companion that kale never wilts. I wonder why? Maybe it's like those melons in france that make your skin look younger. *runs off to pulverize some kale and rub on my face* hehe

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.